The Nation's top recruits, 10 years later

YoloinOhio

This was fascinating to see all these names 10 years after 2007 national signing day and where they are now. I also forgot TT was ranked higher than cam newton.

10 years later, the nation's top football recruits are celebrities, coaches, cops, car salesmen and convicts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2017/01/29/following-the-signs/

Edited by YoloinOhio

This was fascinating to see all these names 10 years after 2007 national signing day and where they are now. I also forgot TT was ranked higher than cam newton.

10 years later, the nation's top football recruits are celebrities, coaches, cops, car salesmen and convicts.

nice find, very interesting. Thanks.

That was great!! It's amazing how bad teams were at recruiting just a decade ago. The advances in technology and social media have completely changed the hit rate.

osu is paying a guy six figures just to do graphics for tweeting recruits. His office is just down from Urban's. It's insane. Tom Herman tried to hire him away to Texas and Urban gave him more money and convinced him to stay. He's 19.

Wasn't Gronk in that 2007 recruiting class? Don't think I saw him. Kind of ridiculous a guy with his measurables wasn't top 100.

i looked it up and it says he was 84th overall in the composite rankings, 4th ranked TE, 4 stars Edited by YoloinOhio

osu is paying a guy six figures just to do graphics for tweeting recruits. His office is just down from Urban's. It's insane. Tom Herman tried to hire him away to Texas and Urban gave him more money and convinced him to stay. He's 19.

i looked it up and it says he was 84th overall in the composite rankings, 4th ranked TE, 4 stars

I read the article about him on ESPN today. It was pretty good.

That was great!! It's amazing how bad teams were at recruiting just a decade ago. The advances in technology and social media have completely changed the hit rate.

Great find. But it's always a crapshoot with high school kids and football. You never know how they will develop. It's not like basketball where there is a 17 or 18yr old kid that stands out and you know he is going to be a bonafide star. Not so much with football. Look at the draft and how many first rounders don't make it and that is with four more years of eyes all over these kids.

wow! 4 dead!

A table would have been nice - # of schools, number of years in college, whether they graduate, etc. to try to compare realistically.

Yes. It seems like a huge % either just flamed out or had mediocre college careers and no hope at the NFL.

An ex-inlaw of mine has a son who was a top 10 TE recruit in the early 00s. Huge kid, big star at a top HS but it just didn't work out for him in college. I'm sure it happens all the time.

Great find. But it's always a crapshoot with high school kids and football. You never know how they will develop. It's not like basketball where there is a 17 or 18yr old kid that stands out and you know he is going to be a bonafide star. Not so much with football. Look at the draft and how many first rounders don't make it and that is with four more years of eyes all over these kids.

Mostly yes. Knew Jimmy Clausen was going to be terrible just based on his awful attitude.

Mostly yes. Knew Jimmy Clausen was going to be terrible just based on his awful attitude.

was he the one who rode in on the custom Hum-V

Wow. Great find. If I were a college coach I would make every recruit read this. This part is crazy: Of the top 100 in 2007, 39 were eventually drafted into the NFL. Twenty are still in the league. Seven made the Pro Bowl. Four are dead

and this: average HS star rating of players playing in the SB this weekend is 2.8 Edited by YoloinOhio

I suspect so many do poorly since, as high schoolers, many did not need to work very hard to be better than most of their peers as they were simply gifted.

Once presented with a group of people like them, however, intrinsic motivation comes into play and then everything changes. Some have it, some do not.

I suspect so many do poorly since, as high schoolers, many did not need to work very hard to be better than most of their peers as they were simply gifted.

Once presented with a group of people like them, however, intrinsic motivation comes into play and then everything changes. Some have it, some do not.

truth

Wow. Great find. If I were a college coach I would make every recruit read this. This part is crazy: Of the top 100 in 2007, 39 were eventually drafted into the NFL. Twenty are still in the league. Seven made the Pro Bowl. Four are dead

Honestly, I'm actually impressed that number is that high. Predicting what a 17-18 year will do / can be in 10 years, let alone 3-4, is crazy. I honestly thought the number would be lower, on both the drafted AND still in the league (most likely 5-7 years after being drafted). I'm also fascinated they didn't post the number of players that were signed or tried out for teams - I wonder if it's in the 50s or 60s?

The four deaths are sad beyond belief. That has to be higher than the any mortality metric for 17-18 year olds 10 years later.

Also forgot to mention - NCAA should be embarrassed with themselves that only a third of these guys actually obtained degrees. I understand with such a relatively high number (39) drafted, many of these guys left college with eligiblity and credits remaining on their degrees. I don't care, that's just such an absurdly low number.

That's nuts, I must be sheltered. I don't know if I've known 4 people in my life that died between 18-28.

Good for you! In some circles that's actually quite low, sadly. But that was the first thing that jumped out at me in the article. These were successful young people by most standards..

That's nuts, I must be sheltered. I don't know if I've known 4 people in my life that died between 18-28.

I can PM you some amazing stuff

I'll say this as a PSA. my best friend growing up whom I later did not care for and his friend were driving rural back roads in MI. They were going straight. Both sober. Whatever reason, they were distracted and going a little quick. A mailbox came thru the windshield and decapitated him.

:cry:

This thread took quite the turn.

Happy NSD tho. Best wishes to all the kids who made life changing decisions today.

Hopeful that some of them read that article. It should be a wake up call that life is just beginning! College was so much fun.... just don't over do it.