Deshaun Watson a Bargain in 1st for Bills - DP

I don't get the thinking that Watson is a top 10 pick, and even one worth trading up for (and giving away the farm in other picks). There are QB prospects worth all that, but I don't see them in this year's draft class - and few pro or media scouts seem to either base on what I've seen in the preponderance of reports and analysis. No question Watson is a worker and has been a winner at the college level. Can't argue with that. But his measurables are essentially that of Tyrod - the latter is 6-1, 215; Watson is 6-2, 210 or so. (A couple of sites have him at 6-3 but this is likely generous - we'll see for sure at the combine). He has had issues with accuracy and decision-making, and his field vision may be no better than Tyrod's when he gets to the NFL. Let's not get suckered by the splash or "next big thing" - the grass is not always greener as we well know. And, then to throw him as a day 1 starter onto a team with few reliable receiving weapons, issues at pass protection, and a porous defense, and it is not a good recipe for success for a young QB (the running game is a positive but not enough). Like most or maybe all of the QB's in this year's draft, he would best sit behind another guy to learn the game (running a huddle, going under center, footwork, etc.). Teams need to be built as much FOR a future quarterback as AROUND a current or new one. Somebody like Prescott - as surprisingly good as he is or may be - was able to step in because he had so much built for him (or Romo, really) already. He was very fortunate in that regard.

I think going QB at 10 in this draft class would be foolish (which of course means that is exactly what the Bills will do). Improve the defensive secondary, the receiving corps, even the linebackers, that's where the plums are in this draft class. Take a QB like Peterman (who btw beat Clemson this past year), or even Kelly in a later round, keep Tyrod, and begin building a team FOR the success of a better, future QB.

Thanks for listen I don't see a franchise QB in this draft.

Good post. I really don't see a franchise QB in this draft. . I don't think Watson, Trubisky, Kiser, or Mahomes are worthy of the 10th pick.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what walter football website says

1/9/17: I surveyed teams around the league to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson. Another team thought that Watson still could be a late first-round quarterback, similar to Teddy Bridgewater, because of the dire need at the position across the NFL.

In this draft analyst's opinion, I would grade Watson as a third-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft. Watson has been off with his accuracy this year, displaying poor ball placement, especially when going downfield. He has missed a lot of potential touchdowns as a result. Watson's performance against Louisville confirmed the accuracy and ball-placement problems we've seen all season. He hasn't dominated, and his play is not that of a top quarterback prospect. All of this illustrates that Watson still has room for improvement with his field vision, ball placement, and accuracy. He did finish the regular season playing better, but that doesn't make up for the struggles in the first two-thirds of the season.

Also, Watson is undersized compared to your average NFL starting quarterback. On top of that, he plays in a college spread offense that doesn't correlate well to the NFL. Thus, he's going to need to learn working under center, operating the huddle, footwork, and not being a running quarterback. There is no doubt that Watson has great intangibles as a hard worker with good character off the field and leadership in the locker room.

This it not a ringing endorsement to pick him at 10.

Here is what walter football website says

1/9/17: I surveyed teams around the league to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson. Another team thought that Watson still could be a late first-round quarterback, similar to Teddy Bridgewater, because of the dire need at the position across the NFL.

In this draft analyst's opinion, I would grade Watson as a third-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft. Watson has been off with his accuracy this year, displaying poor ball placement, especially when going downfield. He has missed a lot of potential touchdowns as a result. Watson's performance against Louisville confirmed the accuracy and ball-placement problems we've seen all season. He hasn't dominated, and his play is not that of a top quarterback prospect. All of this illustrates that Watson still has room for improvement with his field vision, ball placement, and accuracy. He did finish the regular season playing better, but that doesn't make up for the struggles in the first two-thirds of the season.

Also, Watson is undersized compared to your average NFL starting quarterback. On top of that, he plays in a college spread offense that doesn't correlate well to the NFL. Thus, he's going to need to learn working under center, operating the huddle, footwork, and not being a running quarterback. There is no doubt that Watson has great intangibles as a hard worker with good character off the field and leadership in the locker room.

This it not a ringing endorsement to pick him at 10.

The homeless guy who works for the Browns has a more qualified opinion.

I hear what you are saying. Regardless of the source, I AGREED with most of his points. I am on record as saying D. Watson will not be a franchise QB. IMHO, his shortcoming were accurately depicted in the article.

Gunner Bill, I have always respected you opinion when it comes to QB draft class. I am looking forward to more of your insight.

For what it is worth, all of the mocks had Losman going in round 2. He wasn't really a bargain.

The "bargain" was that he was just as good as the top quarterbacks and he was cheaper to get because he was from a small school. There was a whole special on ESPN about it. I remember laughing like OMG people really believe that? What idiot GM is going to draft this guy in round 1 in one of the deepest QB drafts ever. Who were the other QB's? Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Rothlesberger. And we traded up to draft JP Loserman Edited by kdiggz

The "bargain" was that he was just as good as the top quarterbacks and he was cheaper to get because he was from a small school. There was a whole special on ESPN about it. I remember laughing like OMG people really believe that? What idiot GM is going to draft this guy in round 1 in one of the deepest QB drafts ever. Who were the other QB's? Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Rothlesberger. And we traded up to draft JP Loserman

I don't think that anyone thought that he was as good as those 3. He just happened to be the clear #4. There were a bunch of different opinions on who was 1,2 and 3 but nobody was including Losman in that tier. He was next. It was Eli, Rivers and Ben in no particular order.

BPA over need? Seems like there are lots of higher ranked players who would be the BPA instead of Watson and it so happens we have needs at some of those positions--secondary, WR... Definitely want to draft a QB but in another thread (I think) ma poster did an outstanding job of objectively debunking the draft a franchise QB early. And, what's happened when we, like other teams, drafted QBs early based on need (look no further than EJ). Lots of people get very passionate about drafting BPA--can some of you chime in about your views on this year's draft and Watson as BPA at 10? Thanks.

Yea. The number of these "source" things he gets wrong every year basically discredits him.

Sorry I only made it through the first half of the posts, but when I watched Watson (just a couple games, Pitt, OSU) he didn't seem to go through progressions. As I was watching him I thought "one look Watson". What did you think about that? He is a special athlete but may be suited to the Terrell Pryor career path.

Sorry I only made it through the first half of the posts, but when I watched Watson (just a couple games, Pitt, OSU) he didn't seem to go through progressions. As I was watching him I thought "one look Watson". What did you think about that? He is a special athlete but may be suited to the Terrell Pryor career path.

I agree. A lot of the powerhouse college QBs have a play that involves one read. If that read isn't open, then tuck and run. IMHO, the Bills shouldn't draft EJ 2.0.

• 2 months later...