Deshaun Watson a Bargain in 1st for Bills - DP

I was calling his arm weak long before the combine. It shows on live TV, I'm sure it shows on tape. I can see why some people love the kid and his big game performances but something is missing.

The AFC East would be a nightmare for a guy who floats the ball like that.

I was told long before the combine by someone I know that coaches in college football that Watson throws a ball that flutters. That will not work in Buffalo.

I have no clue what any QB throws as far as MPH is concerned. I didn't know this was baseball. I guess Fox and CBS are going to start having a speedometer during the games now? No? Then it doesn't matter.

Real game production > some useless metric

Football is not a science. It never has been and never will be.

If you ignore QB qualities and favor college production you end up with Tim Tebow, Ken Dorsey, or Vince Young as your first round pick.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bad QB class. Doesn't matter if it's Watson, Trubisky or whoever else people might like, if we pick a QB with the 10th pick it won't be a good decision.

This is 2013 all over again and I hope we don't blow another 1st round pick on an inadequate QB.

Edited by jrober38

This is a bad QB class. Doesn't matter if it's Watson, Trubisky or whoever else people might like, if we pick a QB with the 10th pick it won't be a good decision.

This is 2013 all over again and I hope we don't blow another 1st round pick on an inadequate QB.

Yes, this is what Bills fans will say when we have another Jauron draft. Yet even a class like 2014 can yield a franchise QB. You don't know that this is not another 2014, you're hoping.

So many things to like about Watson. What bothers me is that he could only throw the football a max of 49mph at the combine. This will be exposed at the next level.

He is more of a touch and anticipation thrower though. Almost every single Qb improves their arm strength the first three years with NFL strength and conditioning. I am not sure how ball speed will translate on the field, I do know Tyrod and Glennon have more than enough arm strength to make every throw. Watson had great ball placement at the combine and was actually praised for being the best thrower. Evaluating a guy on one metric is silly.

Edited by billspro

NO to Watson... I'd rather take Mitch Tu-risky, and I'm against that as well..

OJ HOWARD!!! -All else is FOLLY!

....read a mock that had nine out of the first ten picks being defensive with Mitch as the lone offensive pick at #6 to Jesters......

Is there any reason to believe that the reported combine number was not accurate? Were his throws clocked again at his pro day? (Reports re his pro day were not encouraging, btw.) You saw the data in the other post regarding ball speed--if Watson's reported 49 mph was real and not the result of injury, I think it makes him to a mid-round pick at best.

I didn't mean I doubt the stat. I mean I don't believe the balance of evidence since this stat was recorded convinces me that 50mph is the benchmark that people are arguing it is. I don't see on that list a guy with below 50mph velocity who had the tape to suggest to he would make it as an NFL Quarterback in any event.

What I am saying is as a metric I don't yet see a fully evidenced causative link. It remains at this stage coincidence.

Fans have more power than you expect. They can get people shipped out of town in order to keep the seats filled and or get someone fired.

Fans effect the bottom line for $$ which effect the FO which effects the coach which effects the Players.

The economic impact of Bills fans has absolutely zero effect on the NFL. I can assure you that the other 31 owners (and the players) wish the franchise was somewhere else (London, Mexico City, where the fan base would become much larger in general and therefore expand the reach of the league and expand the $$ opportunity for the other owners and increase the salary cap for the players. The Bills franchise , by its very existence in WNY, is a drag on the other owners and the players from an impact and $$ standpoint. The Raiders and Chargers move is an example of this, and their fan bases are larger than the Bills. The Packers are not comparable because, well, they're the Packers. The Bills have none of the Packer's caché. Actually quite the opposite.

Hey I grew up there and in that stadium but Bills fans need to shut the F up, stop criticizing Pegs and be glad their little one horse town sitting in a tiny dark corner of a big bright NFL room, against all odds, still has a franchise in the world's richest sporting league. Maybe they can turn it into a winner, but after 50 years, ain't happened yet, so..... poor stepchild it will be. But hey, the tailgates are great, right?

Edited by jmcraig44

If we go up to 2 I'd take Trubisky. If Watson on board at 10 take him there.

Yes, the reviews I have heard say that Trubisky has better accuracy than Watson based on looking at the combine and pro day workouts. Accuracy is what is needed. Of course, that is the arm consideration....maybe the intangibles that Watson brings are worth something including the winning know how....yes, winning takes a skill set....getting your head right to play in big games. And, Trubisky has only one season as a starter...so the body of work is inferior to to Watson. Trub is, however, a big body QB and looks like a pro, and if I were doing the picking, I would go that route I guess. Have seen to many guys without the accuracy come through here.....EJ only the most recent. Fitz, Losman had some of that problem too......

We don't need a QB early in this years draft !!! This draft the Bills can't afford the draft pick to be a wrong pick like they did with EJ !!

They have signed a above average QB that can win games but he needs help from the D to keep them in games !!

And if the Bills & the fans have been paying any attention to the winningest team in our division if not in the NFL the Pats they run with 2 good TE's and most all win that way .

So i think our first pick if there should come from Ala. either the TE OJ Howard or the LB Ruben Foster . Either one would be an immediate starter & very useful !!

They say Foster has a attitude problem but so did the Bengals LB Burfict but he has been a good player for them so take a chance once in a while & go for it ...

Edited by T master

This concerns me too, but only if they marry themselves to the pick. Conventional wisdom says if you take a 1st rd QB you don't take one the following year, but recent history shows us this is flawed thinking. After EJ's rookie year he should have been viewed no differently from a 3rd rd pick who performed equally. Instead they fell into the sunk cost fallacy. If the Bills are willing to defy the norm if logic dictates I'd be happy to risk #10 on a QB.

That said, I wouldn't risk it on Watson. I find Cahomes and Trubisky intriguing enough to roll the dice. But given Watson's arm strength and style of play he's just too big a ? to take that early.

This concerns me too, but only if they marry themselves to the pick. Conventional wisdom says if you take a 1st rd QB you don't take one the following year, but recent history shows us this is flawed thinking. After EJ's rookie year he should have been viewed no differently from a 3rd rd pick who performed equally. Instead they fell into the sunk cost fallacy. If the Bills are willing to defy the norm if logic dictates I'd be happy to risk #10 on a QB.

That said, I wouldn't risk it on Watson. I find Cahomes and Trubisky intriguing enough to roll the dice. But given Watson's arm strength and style of play he's just too big a ? to take that early.

Yes Yes YES