Your thoughts on McDermott and his coordinators.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coordinators' primary responsibility is to effectively implement the head coach's philosophy. I don't have an opinion on the individuals aside from the obvious -- they are very experienced coaches.

I'm more interested in seeing the overall number of assistant coaches reduced. There were probably four or five positions Rex "filled" that seem like just that -- filler. It is becoming more and more apparent that Rex wanted everyone else to cover his arse while he danced in front of the microphone.

I'm good with McDermott, Dennison and Frazier. I think that group is solid. I think Crossman stinks.

I'm not a fan of Crossman, but if they get a good kicker - bear in mind that great UDFAs from college seem to come out every year - he starts looking a lot better. Between the misses on FGs and XPs plus the inability to drive it deep on kickoffs, the STs ended up looking pretty bad. They need a much more consistent punter too. But I can't blame Crossman for the failings of Schmidt and Carpenter. He can't kick the ball for them. Overall, the coverage was generally OK.

Edited by dave mcbride

While I agree with many of the posters that it's too early to know for sure, the quality of coaches appears to be very good, with a solid mix of experience at all levels. I'm pleasantly surprised and very impressed with the patience that the front off showed. Remember back when it was a foregone conclusion that it was going to be A. Lynn!!

So, on to Free Agency (is "he" worth it?), Draft Day (and the MANY MANY MANY draft projections!! I can't wait!) Training Camp (who wore what, who didn't sign autographs, who is doing push-ups!) Pre-Season Hype (we look unstoppable!!) and then OPENING DAY (oh..the horror..THE HORROR!!)

Yea.....good times.....

McDermott, Frazier and Dennison are all legit guys. If we hadn't hired them for their current positions - some other team would have. If not this year, then at some time in the future.

But here's my concern. McDermott will implement his defensive scheme here. But he has very little experience running his own D. Ron Rivera was the architect of the Panther defense.

Likewise, Dennison has never run his own offensive show. He's always been a Kubiak guy. Kubiak was the architect of Denver's offense.

So are we getting cheap Rivera and Kubiak knock-offs. Or will we witness the student surpassing the master?

We have no way of knowing this in advance so I'm with QTR when he says he's not passing judgment until Week 10.

Edited by hondo in seattle

McDermott, Frazier and Dennison are all legit guys. If we hadn't hired them for their current positions - some other team would have. If not this year, then at some time in the future.

But here's my concern. McDermott will implement his defensive scheme here. But he has very little experience running his own D. Ron Rivera was the architect of the Panther defense.

Likewise, Dennison has never run his own offensive show. He's always been a Kubiak guy. Kubiak was the architect of Denver's offense.

So are we getting cheap Rivera and Kubiak knock-offs. Or will we witness the student surpassing the master?

We have no way of knowing this in advance so I'm with QTR when he says he's not passing judgment until Week 10.

My hope is McDermott has more Jim Johnson in him as well .... not just a Rivera.

"It was around 1994 or 1995, when I was with the Colts, and we were playing against San Francisco with Steve Young running the West Coast offense, releasing receivers all the time, guys getting by you. The idea was don't let these people dictate to you. You have to put more pressure [on the quarterback], and every year we tried to figure out how to do that."

From 2000–07, Johnson's units rank tied for first in the NFL with 342 sacks, second in the league in 3rd down efficiency (34.3%) and red zone touchdown percentage (43.0%), and fourth in fewest points allowed (17.6 per game).

— Jim Johnson, describing the origin of his defensive philosophy.

I've had a few experiences in my life (school, church, work) in which a loose and easy going leader caused things to go awry. The fix involves bringing in people who are all business, no nonsense types. I feel as though that was what was done here. I think it was the right thing to do. Time will tell.