Remaining 2017 Buffalo coaching staff vacancies

Quarterbacks -

Wide Receivers -

Secondary -

I would love to snag Greg Knapp for Quarterbacks coach. He worked under Dennison with the Broncos as QB coach/passing game coordinator the last two years. First joined the same staff as Dennison/Kubiak in 2010 when he was hired as QB coach for the Texans. He's been offensive coordinator for many years in the NFL.

If Knapp doesn't agree to follow Dennison here then you have Chris Weinke (Rams). Pretty slim pickings out there.

For wide receivers, I would prefer they keep Sanjay Lal. Seems to have a good chemistry with the players and would keep Sammy happy and be added incentive for Woods to re-sign here if he's a priority.

Other options: Tyke Tolbert (Broncos), Mike Groh (Rams), Bob Bicknell (49ers)

For defensive backs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Curtis Fuller follow McDermott up here from Charlotte. He was the Assistant DB's/Nickels coach there last season. If he stays with the Panthers then Richard Rodgers could be the guy (Assistant DB's/Safeties).

And Donnie Henderson is still out there - may just be coincidence but our DB's haven't been the same since he left..

Other options: Ron Milus (Chargers - worked with our new LB coach Babich), Brandon Fisher (Rams - worked with our new DL coach Waufle), Louie Cioffi (Browns), Tim McDonald (Bills), Jeff Haffley (49ers)

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Rams receivers couldn't catch a football if their life depended on it last year, so no to the rams guy. I'd like to keep Lal.

Qbc is the most important. We need to develop our QBs. Footwork and mechanics are key. Our QBs always seem to get lazy with their footwork and passes sail. Not sure where to go here as idk enough about them. No to David Lee.

secondary I would hope to bring back Donnie Henderson

WRT Lal, I believe he is well regarded in league circles so in that respect, he would be a good hire/retention. However, when you take into consideration, "continuity", we will have a new OC, very likely a new system and other than Watkins, we may end up w/ an entirely new group of WRs. Woods is worthy of retaining, but I would suspect he would be better served were he to go elsewhere, & based at least on current/previous usage, it would be foolish for us to pay him market value.

Isn't Lal still under contract with the bills?

I believe that he is. He is still on the official Bills coach page although that page is not completely reliable. Assistants get a lot shorter contracts. Kromer's for instance, was already up. I believe the Bills allowed Lal to interview for jobs but not sure that rumor was true.

WRT Lal, I believe he is well regarded in league circles so in that respect, he would be a good hire/retention. However, when you take into consideration, "continuity", we will have a new OC, very likely a new system and other than Watkins, we may end up w/ an entirely new group of WRs. Woods is worthy of retaining, but I would suspect he would be better served were he to go elsewhere, & based at least on current/previous usage, it would be foolish for us to pay him market value.

hmm..so he shouldn't stay here with a new a new wr group but should go somewhere else with a new wr group?...Id keep him..our best wr loves him and said he'd feel lost without him

I'm going to play the grinch today.

I don't think most fans really understand what position coaches do for a living. How much time do they spend working on physical technique? (As I recall, Bill Walsh one said they broke down a D-linemen's job into 30 different individual skills which they practiced relentlessly). How much time to position coaches spend reviewing film with their players of upcoming opponents? Or film of their own performance and how to improve it? How much time do they spend reviewing the upcoming game-plan and the plays that will be run? How much - ideally - should they spend on each of these? What's the best way to maximize the impact of these kinds of activities? How much latitude is the position coach given by the OC?

Even though we don't know what actual positions coaches actually do, nor what they should do, nor how they can do it more effectively, we have strong opinions about whether they're good or not.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Sanjay Lal connections to current (new) staff:

Worked on the same Raiders staff as RB coach Kelly Skipper from 2007 - 2011. Lal was wide receivers coach from 2009-2011 under HC's Tom Cable and Hue Jackson after landing his first NFL job as Lane Kiffin's offensive quality control coach his first two years with the Raiders.

Also on that Raiders staff in 2007 and 2008 was Greg Knapp, who was Dennison's QB coach in Houston for two years and the last two years with the Broncos. If Knapp is hired as our QB coach then that's two coaches Lal has worked closely with before.

Several posters on TBD have been saying he requested and was granted a release from his contract last week, just fyi

Two days ago there was an article from Charlotte observer about Dorsey interviewing with Bills. No mention or insinuation he asked for release. Just the opposite. That he will still be integral to rejuvenating Cam.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article127354569.html

Quarterbacks -

Wide Receivers -

Secondary -

I would love to snag Greg Knapp for Quarterbacks coach. He worked under Dennison with the Broncos as QB coach/passing game coordinator the last two years. First joined the same staff as Dennison/Kubiak in 2010 when he was hired as QB coach for the Texans. He's been offensive coordinator for many years in the NFL.

If Knapp doesn't agree to follow Dennison here then you have Chris Weinke (Rams). Pretty slim pickings out there.

I hear this guy is a pretty good quarterback's coach:

pg2_g_ferguson_200.jpg