Hackett Hired as new Jaguars OC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Hackett wasn't impressive as Bills OC but in fairness to him it starts and ends with QB. He had EJ, Jeff Tuel, Tavaris Jackson and Kyle Orton to work with... with that group run, run, run wouldn't have surprised me.

I agree that Hackett wasn't impressive as Bills OC but in fairness to him it starts and ends with QB. He had EJ, Jeff Tuel, Tavaris Jackson and Kyle Orton to work with... with that group run, run, run wouldn't have surprised me.

But Bortles changes all of that... amirite?

I thought Nate Hackett did an okay job adjusting during his tenure in Buffalo. My biggest complaint with him was that he would call pass plays in which the target was 2 yards shy of the first down marker - usually thrown to Chandler, who was not a YAC TE. But even that got better.

Don't forget, the Bills had a 9-7 record under the Marrone/Hackett regime.

I hope these guys do well in Jax, actually.

I thought Nate Hackett did an okay job adjusting during his tenure in Buffalo. My biggest complaint with him was that he would call pass plays in which the target was 2 yards shy of the first down marker - usually thrown to Chandler, who was not a YAC TE. But even that got better.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, who can ever forget the Kyle Orton led Bills squad in their seminal victory over the eventual SB Champs who were resting their entire first string in a meaningless game? That was one for the ages for sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, who can ever forget the Kyle Orton led Bills squad in their seminal victory over the eventual SB Champs who were resting their entire first string in a meaningless game? That was one for the ages for sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably the same people who have trouble forgetting when the Bills lost to Pittsburgh under the same set of circumstances.

I don't think Hackett is necessarily that bad of an OC, but I'm wary of the Hackett/Marrone combo. After Marrone left, I read some quotes (maybe from Fred Jackson?) suggesting that there was a lot of good stuff in the playbook, but implying that Marrone wouldn't let Hackett unleash it. I.e., Hackett had to follow risk-averse orders from above or whatever.

I do remember that in preseason 2014, we came out with a really interesting uptempo offense, with read-option, "packaged" plays (could be run or pass depending on what how the D looks pre-snap), and generally looking innovative. But that basically all went away by about week 3. I even wondered if Manuel was being instructed to always hand off on the read-option, because DEs were completely ignoring him, but he almost never kept it. Of course, the other possibility is that EJ did a terrible job of reading the DEs.

Also, I thought the Bills' passing game under Hackett was way too reliant on four verticals. Every time I saw an all-22 breakdown, it seemed like every pass play was four verticals.

Yes, sometimes we ran out of shotgun, he was revolutionary.