GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Here ya go:

</snip>

Each year, the Current Employment Statistics (CES) survey employment estimates are benchmarked to comprehensive counts of employment for the month of March. These counts are derived from state unemployment insurance (UI) tax records that nearly all employers are required to file. For national CES employment series, the annual benchmark revisions over the last 10 years have averaged plus or minus two-tenths of one percent of total nonfarm employment. The preliminary estimate of the benchmark revision indicates a downward adjustment to March 2019 total nonfarm employment of -501,000 (-0.3 percent).

</snip>

Not sure where the 20% in that article came from. That Bureau of Labor Statics graph the story linked to showed that the  government adjusted data showed some of the benchmark revisions were up, some were down.  (I could be reading it wrong, but that was why I quoted that 0.3%.)

Largest revision downward in 10 years and the revision downward was primarily in the retail, leisure, and hospitality sectors.

All closely tied with consumer spending.

I don't know how you could possibly spin this as anything other than something negative and I'm a little perplexed that I was the first to mention this considering the news was out a few days ago.

20 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Trump is a flaming hypocrite on this matter.  For him only 1 number matters, GDP growth.  He doesn't care how we get there. 

deficit does not matter, neither party can bothered to deal with it since LBJ

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

This may sound odd... my brother works in a steel mill. For the last 10-12 years, I could tell you  what the economy is going to be doing in two quarters based on what they are rolling 180 days out.

They are running three lines and all the OT anyone wants right now.

OK, since I posted this, I want to keep it updated... no more OT as of Sunday. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

It doesn't matter until it does. 

1966, oh dear, should do something

2019, oh dear, should do something

good thing for the Amen Chorus telling us doomsday is tomorrow from 1966 to eternity???

On 8/26/2019 at 2:16 PM, B-Man said:

SEE ALSO: CLINTON AND BOTH BUSHES (AND BIDEN IF GIVEN THE CHANCE). 

Trump is right to confront China, reversing Obama’s policy of weakness and appeasement.

...who in history has ever had the gonads to do so?....just a ton of wimpy sabre rattling......so he does what nobody else wanted to do and he's the bad guy?.....isn't China's economy in its worst shape since 1992 and the Asian markets in turmoil?......how about Iran?......they blew through the $100 bil from the fraud Obama and now their economy is tanking due to sanctions....how long has this country needed an irascible, caustic, bombastic, "ain't scared of nothing" outsider, etc to turn the comfy political establishment on its ugly head?....expose's on the graft, corruption, and partisan undertow within DOJ and FBI, once thought to be irrefutable bastions of the democracy?....MORE chlorine for "The Swamp"......just getting started and I hope AG Barr has the gonads needed..........

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

U.S., Japan agree in principle on trade deal worth 'billions and billions'

Trump highlights benefits for American farmers

The U.S. and Japan have agreed in principle on a trade deal worth “billions and billions of dollars,” President Trump said Sunday.

Mr. Trump said parties will likely sign the deal around the U.N. General Assembly in September.

Japan will buy up America’s corn surplus as part of the deal. Some tariffs on Japanese goods will be removed, though existing levies on autos will remain.

“It’s a very big transaction, and we’ve agreed in principle. It’s billions and billions of dollars. Tremendous for the farmers,” Mr. Trump said in an impromptu session with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the Group of Seven summit in France.

</snip>

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said Japan is the U.S.’s third-largest agriculture market. He said the deal will open up markets for $7 billion more in U.S. beef, pork, wheat, dairy, wine, ethanol and other products.

</snip>

You do realize this was the TPP deal .....right?.....

snip

WSJ: Democrats’ Emerging Tax Idea: Look Beyond Income, Target Wealth. 

“Lawmakers and 2020 candidates offer a range of options focused on capturing some of the trillions of dollars in assets belonging to the nation’s richest.”

For the richest Americans, Democrats want to shift toward taxing their wealth, instead of just their salaries and the income their assets generate. The personal income tax indirectly touches wealth, but only when assets are sold and become income.

At the end of 2017, U.S. households had $3.8 trillion in unrealized gains in stocks and investment funds, plus more in real estate, private businesses and artwork, according to the Economic Innovation Group, a nonprofit focused on bringing investment to low-income areas. Most of the value of estates over $100 million consists of unrealized gains, said a 2013 Federal Reserve study. Much has never been touched by individual income taxes and may never be.

Democrats are eager to tap that mountain of wealth to finance priorities such as expanding health-insurance coverage, combating climate change and aiding low-income households. Their ideas range from new rules on inherited assets, to a plan by Sen. Ron Wyden for annual taxes on unrealized gains, to a proposal from Sen. Elizabeth Warren to tax wealth itself.

A century ago, progressives promised the income tax would only affect the top one percent, too.

Well, they mostly voted for Trump! So...

ifying some of the toughest farm conditions since the crisis that bankrupted thousands of farmers in the 1980s — and threatening a constituency crucial to his reelection hopes. 

The president’s trade policies have sent U.S. agricultural exports plunging, exacerbating already difficult economic conditions facing farmers. Average farm income has fallen to near 15-year lows under Trump, and in some areas of the country, farm bankruptcies are soaring.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/06/farm-crisis-trump-trade-policies-1147987

Updated numbers for Q2:

</snip>

Despite the resilience consumers are showing, the overall economic picture is weakening. The gross domestic product, the broadest gauge of economic health, advanced at a moderate 2% annual rate in the April-June quarter, the government said Thursday, down from a 3.1% gain in the first quarter. Thursday's revised figure for last quarter was slightly lower than the government's initial estimate of 2.1% annual growth.

</snip>

The biggest factor in the government's downward revision for the April-June quarter was a smaller gain in spending by state and local governments and fewer export sales. American exports have been hurt by the retaliatory tariffs China and other countries have imposed on U.S. soybeans and other products. That drop was offset by the increase in consumer spending to a rate of 4.7%, up from an initial estimate of 4.3%.

</snip>

A survey last week found that 74% of business economists now believe a new recession will begin by the end of 2021 with 38% saying the downturn will start even sooner, in 2020.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, said he is not forecasting a recession in the next 18 months but he said one can't be ruled out with the greatest risk coming from Trump's trade war with China.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/27/2019 at 5:39 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.......isn't China's economy in its worst shape since 1992 and the Asian markets in turmoil?......

Tells me all i need to know about your comprehension of markets, economies , strategic growth etc plans that you are happy about a bad Chinese economy..just wow

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Tells me all i need to know about your comprehension of markets, economies , strategic growth etc plans that you are happy about a bad Chinese economy..just wow

........my your nylons are all knotted up there Big Dawg.......I asked a DAMN question PERIOD with NO inference....don't fall off that high horse...long way down.....how sad..

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

........my your nylons are all knotted up there Big Dawg.......I asked a DAMN question PERIOD with NO inference....don't fall off that high horse...long way down.....how sad..

okie dokie...no inference..?

.again thanks for letting me know your understanding of current markets!

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

This I can tell you. If we are in a trade war with China and want to win, then China doing poorly is a necessity. 

6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

This I can tell you. If we are in a trade war with China and want to win, then China doing poorly is a necessity. 

Why do want a trade war and how do we know when we've won?  

9 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

so if you win a "trade war" and the other guy cannot buy your stuff..what have you won? The right to jump up and down and say "we won"?????

this is not a zero sum game

3 hours ago, bbb said:

Why do want a trade war and how do we know when we've won?  

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

so if you win a "trade war" and the other guy cannot buy your stuff..what have you won? The right to jump up and down and say "we won"?????

this is not a zero sum game

I think all reasonable people would agree that China has not traded fairly with us and steals our intellectual property. We need a fair trade deal with them. That would be considered winning the trade deal. Winning the trade war would make it easier to buy our stuff. Plenz, I have a suggestion for you that might help you overcome your TDS: Ask yourself each time it flairs up if Obama did the same thing, would I object?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I think all reasonable people would agree that China has not traded fairly with us and steals our intellectual property. We need a fair trade deal with them. That would be considered winning the trade deal. Winning the trade war would make it easier to buy our stuff. Plenz, I have a suggestion for you that might help you overcome your TDS: Ask yourself each time it flairs up if Obama did the same thing, would I object?

Let me ask you this...what in the main do you think "wining " a trade war looks like? 

And its tiresome that every time someone fundamentally disagrees with Trump on something your standard retort is #TDS or #orangemanbad. Its lazy, and its just not true. On the economy, there are numbers to actually compare .I have fundamentally always thought Trump was fixing something that was broken..and breaking it in the process. 

I think the real question is if Obama was leading this economy, with 2.0% growth rate, skyrocketing deficits, protectionist views on trade, manufacturing in a technical recession...would you and all of MAGA be proclaiming what a great job he was doing?

. Look at the post @Buffalo_Gal made, economy slowing down cause government spending is decreasing. Are you saying when Obama was president you were advocating for bigger government and bigger deficits? 

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

i believe there is a consideration amount of back-and-forth corporate and political espionage between China and the US, which is to be expected.

the other side always seems to more dastardly....    :D

the US is the only country in history where a high % of its own leaders and people and media knee-jerk blame their own country freely and publicly

Edited by row_33

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Let me ask you this...what in the main do you think "wining " a trade war looks like? 

And its tiresome that every time someone fundamentally disagrees with Trump on something your standard retort is #TDS or #orangemanbad. Its lazy, and its just not true. On the economy, there are numbers to actually compare .I have fundamentally always thought Trump was fixing something that was broken..and breaking it in the process. 

I think the real question is if Obama was leading this economy, with 2.0% growth rate, skyrocketing deficits, protectionist views on trade, manufacturing in a technical recession...would you and all of MAGA be proclaiming what a great job he was doing?

. Look at the post @Buffalo_Gal made, economy slowing down cause government spending is decreasing. Are you saying when Obama was president you were advocating for bigger government and bigger deficits? 

Winning a trade war is to get free or fair trade between the opponents. Since China restricts their markets and steals our intellectual property simply getting things to be fair is a win for the USA. For China to win the trade war they would have to either keep the status quo or make it go further in their favor. We, as a country, are paying the price economically for the trade war. It would be so much easier to just let things continue going on. Trump has rightly chosen to take on China at this point in time because our economy was so strong and we could weather the storm much more easily than China. This need for a correction in our trade with China has been going on for decades. We finally have a President with a plan and the balls to implement it and a bunch of people with TDS but no balls get their panties all in a bunch over #orangemanbad.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i believe there is a consideration amount of back-and-forth corporate and political espionage between China and the US, which is to be expected.

the other side always seems to more dastardly....    :D

the US is the only country in history where a high % of its own leaders and people and media knee-jerk blame their own country freely and publicly

Sure, we're stealing China's innovations.

aflac.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Winning a trade war is to get free or fair trade between the opponents. Since China restricts their markets and steals our intellectual property simply getting things to be fair is a win for the USA. For China to win the trade war they would have to either keep the status quo or make it go further in their favor. We, as a country, are paying the price economically for the trade war. It would be so much easier to just let things continue going on. Trump has rightly chosen to take on China at this point in time because our economy was so strong and we could weather the storm much more easily than China. This need for a correction in our trade with China has been going on for decades. We finally have a President with a plan and the balls to implement it and a bunch of people with TDS but no balls get their panties all in a bunch over #orangemanbad.

Sure, we're stealing China's innovations.

aflac.jpg

the US has a very deep eye on all developments wherever it wishes

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

damn, you are a lemming for whatever Trump feeds you. Do you fundamentally  believe a trade deficit is bad for the US? 

Also, Why don't you answer he question i asked about Obama.

.2.0% Growth, EXPLODING DEFICIT,  ever expanding Government spending, protectionist views about trade, 0% rise the S+P in close to 20 months (2872 Jan 18, ...., 2933 today) ..if those are Obamas numbers are you saying what a great job he was doing?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

damn, you are a lemming for whatever Trump feeds you. Do you fundamentally  believe a trade deficit is bad for the US? 

Also, Why don't you answer he question i asked about Obama.

.2.0% Growth, EXPLODING DEFICIT,  ever expanding Government spending, protectionist views about trade, 0% rise the S+P in close to 20 months (2872 Jan 18, ...., 2933 today) ..if those are Obamas numbers are you saying what a great job he was doing?

I answered you but refused to argue over your cherry-picked nonsense.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I answered you but refused to argue over your cherry-picked nonsense.

i know..discussing actual numbers , and results, and if a trade deficit is good or bad for the US,  and  comparing Trumps record on the Economy to Obama's is hard work, and  does not have the results you want.....so you result to the the ever Easy "You TDS" You # organemanbad"...childish argument

47 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Reminder to myself: Don't get into discussions with Plenzmd. He is the original guerilla poster.

long on the ignore list, for various crimes and misdies...

he goes nowhere and taxes your nerves and energy.

not even amusing or ironic, the worst crimes against humanity

Edited by row_33