If Bills dump Taylor, where does he end up?

dtgolder

Sorry, but with playoff football you need a QB who can make plays when the game is on the line and you either need to keep the chains moving or comeback and score; TT is not that guy. It has nothing to do with points scored, points per game or using him as a way to set up your run game. He doesn't make the plays to win those games for you; better off spending his salary elsewhere on the team...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lots of talk about should the Bills dump Taylor or not, and if we do who do we get to replace him (Romo, etc.)

But I'm wondering what folks think would be a landing spot for TT if we did jettison him? Who would bid on his services? Would he be a starter or backup? What kind of salary would he command?

What's the general consensus on the board?

Dak's backup after we trade him for Romo.

Tyrod walks into 10 NFL camps and if there were a QB competition for the starter like the Bills had in '15 he wins it.

Vikings

Texans

Browns

Denver

Jets

Rams

Dolphins

Eagles

Niners

Jags

Lots of teams getting old at QB, too - SD (now LA and Giants come to mind).

He'll be fine.

:w00t:

Sorry, but with playoff football you need a QB who can make plays when the game is on the line and you either need to keep the chains moving or comeback and score; TT is not that guy. It has nothing to do with points scored, points per game or using him as a way to set up your run game. He doesn't make the plays to win those games for you; better off spending his salary elsewhere on the team...

^^^This^^^

Taylor is a ok bridge till a QB is developed and has a top tier D and ST.

The problem is $27.5M next season

I would use the #10 pick on a blue chip player if Taylor stays and draft a QB in 2nd rd or later.

Edited by ALF

One thing to remember about Taylor.

This is likely the ideal spot for him. The Bills have put together an offense that is a very good run first offense. Taylor is a big part of that.

Putting Taylor somewhere else that is not a historically good run first team may not have the desired results. Other teams will want Taylor to win some games with his arm because they don't have the run game the Bills do. Will Taylor help their run game? Sure. But the chances of it being as good as the Bills had this year are very slim.

What I'm concerned with, is that this is the ideal situation for Taylor. The run game won't get much better than here. Will Taylor improve enough in year 3 with the Bills? Because he didn't in year 2. How much longer can the Bills sustain this level of run game to help support Taylor. If the Bills run game drops at all, we would be in serious trouble with Taylor trying to win games with his arm.

Edited by Joe Miner

So lots of talk about should the Bills dump Taylor or not, and if we do who do we get to replace him (Romo, etc.)

But I'm wondering what folks think would be a landing spot for TT if we did jettison him? Who would bid on his services? Would he be a starter or backup? What kind of salary would he command?

Probably ends up in Sascatchawan or Calgary

It is odd to me that even his biggest critics don't think that TT is a starter now? The following guys started this year: RG3, Bortles, Goff, Osweiler, Fitzpatrick, Kaepernick, Siemian, and Cutler. Goff will obviously get some time and Bortles probably will too. I am counting 6 other jobs (plus the Bills) where he is absolutely better than the guy who started. Do we really think that 7 rookies are going to fill those spots? Even if you add Romo and Jimmy G we are talking 5 rookies? That's not how it works. There aren't enough QBs to go around. TT will be starting somewhere in 2017.

If not I'd love to see the 7 guys filling those starting spots...

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It is odd to me that even his biggest critics don't think that TT is a starter now? The following guys started this year: RG3, Bortles, Goff, Osweiler, Fitzpatrick, Kaepernick, Siemian, and Cutler. Goff will obviously get some time and Bortles probably will too. I am counting 6 other jobs (plus the Bills) where he is absolutely better than the guy who started. Do we really think that 7 rookies are going to fill those spots? Even if you add Romo and Jimmy G we are talking 5 rookies? That's not how it works. There aren't enough QBs to go around. TT will be starting somewhere in 2017.

If not I'd love to see the 7 guys filling those starting spots...

TT is not going to get a chance in LA Rams, Jacksonville, or Denver. Sorry, it's not happening. Denver just spent a 1st round pick on a QB and have another young QB. Rams drafted a guy #1 overall and hired a coach specifically to make him better.

NFL teams don't all live in the now like some Bills fans on this board. Many of these teams are trying to win by drafting and developing their QB. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy.

TT is not going to get a chance in LA Rams, Jacksonville, or Denver. Sorry, it's not happening. Denver just spent a 1st round pick on a QB and have another young QB. Rams drafted a guy #1 overall and hired a coach specifically to make him better.

NFL teams don't all live in the now like some Bills fans on this board. Many of these teams are trying to win by drafting and developing their QB. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy.

I just asked who is going to fill those 7 spots? I'm going to start a thread on it now because I think that it will be a fun exercise.

Btw, I thought that I was clear that Goff and Bortles weren't a part of that equation? I just pointed them out because they were bad starters last year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

i still believe he will be here...but your question was if he leaves, then where...

Obvious answer and my pick is Denver, and I actually think it would be a lock to go to Denver given Elways previous interest in him and the talent of that roster. Sure, other teams could come into play, but I think Denver would overwhelmingly be the favorite to bring him in.

2nd choice would be Houston. I saw some people talking about having too much invested in Brock as why not, but at the end of the day, the absolute worst position on that team is QB...so I don't think they are going to just sit back and keep riding the Brock train if they can't win with him, I mean they benched him for Tom Savage to show how little confidence they have in Brock. That team can win now, they are not going to waste it on Brock IMO and I do not think Brock will be the starting QB there next year.

Of course, all the QB needy teams are in play as he will most likely be the best QB available this offseason like Jax, Chi, SF, Cle, and Jets.

i still believe he will be here...but your question was if he leaves, then where...

2nd choice would be Houston. I saw some people talking about having too much invested in Brock as why not, but at the end of the day, the absolute worst position on that team is QB...so I don't think they are going to just sit back and keep riding the Brock train if they can't win with him, I mean they benched him for Tom Savage to show how little confidence they have in Brock. That team can win now, they are not going to waste it on Brock IMO and I do not think Brock will be the starting QB there next year.

Of course, all the QB needy teams are in play as he will most likely be the best QB available this offseason like Jax, Chi, SF, Cle, and Jets.

You really believe Houston is going to pay TT at least $12 million a year. (What Fitz got last year as a comparable QB). Brock is either 19 Million or 25 Million in dead cap. That is $32 to 37 Million for an averge bridge QB.. Yes, they have a lot of cap, but that is still a big bite for a QB who might get you to the playoffs with their D, but does not have what it takes when you are behind in the playoffs. And they are going to have to spend over $10 million to retain Bouye.

If I'm spending $30 + million for a QB in the effort to make the Superbowl, he has to be much better than just average. I spend more and get one that is very good or not wasting the cap.

Edited by simpleman

The Dolphins.

Miami trades RT in the off season and pairs Taylor with Ajayi and that above average offensive line and the "better than the Bills have" WR corps.

In a way, it's a bad year for Taylor because while there are a lot of openings, there are also a lot of quarterbacks when you tally up FA, draft and possible trades.

Edited by dpberr

To all those Bills fans who think they know what a QB will develop into after watching play him for two years.

I watched a kid get drafted and sit on the bench in his first season with a bad HC, bad team. The next season he got a new HC and coaching staff and he was able to start. He went 8-8 that first year while completing 60.8% of his passes for 526 attempts for 320 completions 3284 yards with 17 TDs, 16 INTs. Not bad for a rookie starter, err most of you would say a second-year player. That team had a 1000+ yard rusher and some decent receivers with 538 passing attempts vs 466 rushing attempts.

In his second year of starting the guy was benched after he went 2-9 with 356 attempts for 205 completions for 2108 yards while throwing 11 TDs, 15 INTs. with a 57.6 completion percentage. He stunk it up and deserved to be benched!

Now up until this point, the team had thrown more than they passed the ball the previous two years and this year the teams OC took a different turn and called for 450 passes vs 525 rushing attempts. This same starting QB who was benched the previous season suddenly started to get better in a run first team. That year this same QB who stinking it up was doing great.

This season that in his third year of being a starting QB he went 11-4 with 400 attempts for 262 completions for 3159 yards with 27 TDs, 7 INTs. The team made the playoffs. His OC was Cam Cameron a man who tutored him and also went on to develop Joe Flacco into another SB winning QB. Anyone guess by now who this QB is?

The point being is that it would really be foolish to dump Tyrod Taylor at this point. Unless the team changes their offensive philosophy to a pass first and wants a different bridge QB who will throw more.

What the team should do is hire Cam Cameron away from LSU and allow him to develop Tyrod Taylor. The team will find out soon enough if he develops further or fails to do so. This team also needs to upgrade the WR, RT positions asap.

To all those Bills fans who think they know what a QB will develop into after watching play him for two years.

I watched a kid get drafted and sit on the bench in his first season with a bad HC, bad team. The next season he got a new HC and coaching staff and he was able to start. He went 8-8 that first year while completing 60.8% of his passes for 526 attempts for 320 completions 3284 yards with 17 TDs, 16 INTs. Not bad for a rookie starter, err most of you would say a second-year player. That team had a 1000+ yard rusher and some decent receivers with 538 passing attempts vs 466 rushing attempts.

In his second year of starting the guy was benched after he went 2-9 with 356 attempts for 205 completions for 2108 yards while throwing 11 TDs, 15 INTs. with a 57.6 completion percentage. He stunk it up and deserved to be benched!

Now up until this point, the team had thrown more than they passed the ball the previous two years and this year the teams OC took a different turn and called for 450 passes vs 525 rushing attempts. This same starting QB who was benched the previous season suddenly started to get better in a run first team. That year this same QB who stinking it up was doing great.

This season that in his third year of being a starting QB he went 11-4 with 400 attempts for 262 completions for 3159 yards with 27 TDs, 7 INTs. The team made the playoffs. His OC was Cam Cameron a man who tutored him and also went on to develop Joe Flacco into another SB winning QB. Anyone guess by now who this QB is?

The point being is that it would really be foolish to dump Tyrod Taylor at this point. Unless the team changes their offensive philosophy to a pass first and wants a different bridge QB who will throw more.

What the team should do is hire Cam Cameron away from LSU and allow him to develop Tyrod Taylor. The team will find out soon enough if he develops further or fails to do so. This team also needs to upgrade the WR, RT positions asap.

He was fired from there with Les Miles. In fact they gave Coach O the option to keep him and he said no thanks.

brees?

hmm - where are the destinations other than buffalo?

Cleveland

LA Chargers if they trade rivers - reunite with Lynn (doubtful)

Houston

Denver

San Francisco

NYJ

Jax

Wash if they move on from Kirk (doubtful)

Chicago

Arizona (palmer insurance)

LA rams - the guy who they drafted might still need some seasoning or a backup who can give them a spark

Of all that? I could see Denver or Houston making a solid push. They believe that they have playoff rosters, and the QB position held them back.

Both can also low-ball a bit. If Tyrod wants to win, he goes to one of them.

Arizona could be a dark horse too. Palmer's getting up there, and if he goes down their season goes kaput.