LA Chargers!

KDIGGZ

That's 14,000 people. South Orange County is very close to San Diego.

It boggles my mind that the Chargers have been selling 56K season tix the last couple of years. That's strong. That fan base is better than people think it is. And they're wise to not want to pay for a new stadium. Let the obscenely rich NFL pay for it.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait...you mean Rivers would rather move a couple hours up the beach than come to Buffalo?? I'm shocked.

Damn right. There are only so many places they can threaten to move.

We should start a pool now for the date of the Chargers next relo after they bomb in LA.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. These teams seem to have limitless places to threaten to move to. When you start throwing around cities like San Antonio,Boise,Austin,and Portland you know the opportunities are endless. Add the international series in London to the equation, and its never ending. Before you know it owners will be threatening moves to Kathmandu.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. These teams seem to have limitless places to threaten to move to. When you start throwing around cities like San Antonio,Boise,Austin,and Portland you know the opportunities are endless. Add the international series in London to the equation, and its never ending. Before you know it owners will be threatening moves to Kathmandu.

Spanos is moving to LA to prepare to sell the team at maximum value. Lord only knows what the new owner will want, so them moving again is not far fetched.

At least that will get that loser out of the league.

Edited by familykwi

It boggles my mind that the Chargers have been selling 56K season tix the last couple of years. That's strong. That fan base is better than people think it is. And they're wise to not want to pay for a new stadium. Let the obscenely rich NFL pay for it.

they sell them but many are re-sold on the secondary market to the fans of the opposition who look at it as a destination game/vacation.

they sell them but many are re-sold on the secondary market to the fans of the opposition who look at it as a destination game/vacation.

I'd love to go to San..........oh, never mind. Only 30k seats to re-sell in LA for a while.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Wow... Has anyone here ever BEEN to frickin' Carson?..... :lol: -All I'm saying is is, I hope Spanos cleared this move with the local gangs..

I go every year. They hosted the big time state high school championship bowl games. Not any worse than Exposition Park or Inglewood. You get in your car or Uber and bolt. Freeways are right there. But don't start wandering around the streets like an idiot looking the 7 Eleven after a night game.

Raiders to file relocation papers to move from Oakland to Vegas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000773952/article/raiders-to-file-relocation-papers-to-move-from-oakland-to-vegas

$650M relocation fee for Chargers and Raiders , $550M ? for Rams

Do the other owners diffy up this fee?

Kraft takes his in Scotch.

Classy.

Let's rub it in... humiliate the heartbroken fans who had their team ripped away for more $$

They are passed heart broken, they are pissed off and even my father in law (a die hard Rams fan) cheered even for the Patriots beat them this year. He wants the stadium be empty in year 1. When it opens.

They are passed heart broken, they are pissed off and even my father in law (a die hard Rams fan) cheered even for the Patriots beat them this year. He wants the stadium be empty in year 1. When it opens.

That was incoherent. Try again. Your father in law hates the Chargers? I'm not sure what you're saying.

More general and not directed at you:

The Spanos family like Mr. Wilson, helped build the AFl. This clearly helped the NFL become what it is today. As time passed the value of the initial investment these owners made skyrocketed. This in some cases left them with tremendous assets and limited liquidity. As the NFL expanded and some franchises changed hands, the newer owners often had liquidity in addition to assets. For example, Pegula's liquidity far outreaches that of Ralph.

The successes of the Maras, Wilsons, Spanos', Hunt, Adams, Rooneys, and others laid the groundwork for great things. In some cases it was also their undoing. Newer owners like McNair, Kraft, Jones, and Snyder stepped in with a great deal of wealth, mostly earned through other industries and/or married into. They did not have the knowledge that only comes with experience. This isn't to say their input and outside ideas weren't valuable....they were. Where they erred was in their lack of respect for the old guard. They thought the new way was the only way and that the old guys were holding them back. That is why they were desperate to move to LA, London, Toronto, Tokyo and whatever. The old guys were probably too stodgy and stuck in their ways...thus the ongoing clash.

Clearly the newer guys have the media on their side. Spanos, although far from perfect and a 2nd generation guy, comes from a family that deserves respect, but the minions in the new press offer no such solace. They carry the water....or booze....for the new guys because that is where they see the $$$$$$$.

Left to their own devices the old guys would have made a lot of mistakes and the NFL would have missed many opportunities. It also would have maintained a foundational fan base that would have had incredible value. On their own, the new guys would have seen meteoric rises, a cresting popularity, and an eroding foundation. They would have been on a roller coaster ride and as long as they individually got off before the crash, it wouldn't have mattered to them. A balance of the philosophies would have been nice, but the new guys had the money to mock the old so the scales tipped in their favor....not completely but definitely tipped. We'll all find out together if it is too far.

Personally. I found the mocking of Ralph Wilson, an imperfect owner but fine gentleman with a great amount of honor, disgusting beyond compare. The owners mocked him through their surrogates for his correct opposition to the CBA. Even when he was proven correct, he received too little credit, and new reasons were found to mock him. Spanos, also imperfect and with many flaws, is but the latest speed bump along the road to wherever it is the new owners are going. He may not have earned the respect of Wilson or Hunt, but his father's legacy deserves respect. I have certainly gotten a few laughs from the logo fiasco. The Dodgers "you said you'd call" tweet to the Lightning was very funny for example. I also see that the blame being heaped upon Spanos is a diversion from the real problems of imbalance in the NFL. It will likely serve to increase the arrogance of some owners and enforce their incorrect view that the old guard is the cause for all the current ailments. This is clearly wrong but arrogance is a powerful set of blinders.

The most obvious losers in this are San Diego Charger fans. There are a lot of them despite what is being written. True fans of professional football and any of the individual teams are also losing. Nobody is 100% villain or 100% victim IMO. But Spanos is certainly being painted as villain. He deserves some of that, but he is being scapegoated to a degree as well.

That was incoherent. Try again. Your father in law hates the Chargers? I'm not sure what you're saying.

More general and not directed at you:

The Spanos family like Mr. Wilson, helped build the AFl. This clearly helped the NFL become what it is today. As time passed the value of the initial investment these owners made skyrocketed. This in some cases left them with tremendous assets and limited liquidity. As the NFL expanded and some franchises changed hands, the newer owners often had liquidity in addition to assets. For example, Pegula's liquidity far outreaches that of Ralph.

The successes of the Maras, Wilsons, Spanos', Hunt, Adams, Rooneys, and others laid the groundwork for great things. In some cases it was also their undoing. Newer owners like McNair, Kraft, Jones, and Snyder stepped in with a great deal of wealth, mostly earned through other industries and/or married into. They did not have the knowledge that only comes with experience. This isn't to say their input and outside ideas weren't valuable....they were. Where they erred was in their lack of respect for the old guard. They thought the new way was the only way and that the old guys were holding them back. That is why they were desperate to move to LA, London, Toronto, Tokyo and whatever. The old guys were probably too stodgy and stuck in their ways...thus the ongoing clash.

Clearly the newer guys have the media on their side. Spanos, although far from perfect and a 2nd generation guy, comes from a family that deserves respect, but the minions in the new press offer no such solace. They carry the water....or booze....for the new guys because that is where they see the $$$$$$$.

Left to their own devices the old guys would have made a lot of mistakes and the NFL would have missed many opportunities. It also would have maintained a foundational fan base that would have had incredible value. On their own, the new guys would have seen meteoric rises, a cresting popularity, and an eroding foundation. They would have been on a roller coaster ride and as long as they individually got off before the crash, it wouldn't have mattered to them. A balance of the philosophies would have been nice, but the new guys had the money to mock the old so the scales tipped in their favor....not completely but definitely tipped. We'll all find out together if it is too far.

Personally. I found the mocking of Ralph Wilson, an imperfect owner but fine gentleman with a great amount of honor, disgusting beyond compare. The owners mocked him through their surrogates for his correct opposition to the CBA. Even when he was proven correct, he received too little credit, and new reasons were found to mock him. Spanos, also imperfect and with many flaws, is but the latest speed bump along the road to wherever it is the new owners are going. He may not have earned the respect of Wilson or Hunt, but his father's legacy deserves respect. I have certainly gotten a few laughs from the logo fiasco. The Dodgers "you said you'd call" tweet to the Lightning was very funny for example. I also see that the blame being heaped upon Spanos is a diversion from the real problems of imbalance in the NFL. It will likely serve to increase the arrogance of some owners and enforce their incorrect view that the old guard is the cause for all the current ailments. This is clearly wrong but arrogance is a powerful set of blinders.

The most obvious losers in this are San Diego Charger fans. There are a lot of them despite what is being written. True fans of professional football and any of the individual teams are also losing. Nobody is 100% villain or 100% victim IMO. But Spanos is certainly being painted as villain. He deserves some of that, but he is being scapegoated to a degree as well.

He hates the Rams owner who owns the stadium. Per him he hopes they suck so bad (both teams) that the stadium is empty for every game when it opens. I can't blame him, St. Louis offered to PAY for a stadium and the jerk owner said "no I want LA" . So he wants him to be hurt in the wallet by no one showing up or buying their merchandise.

He hates the Rams owner who owns the stadium. Per him he hopes they suck so bad (both teams) that the stadium is empty for every game when it opens. I can't blame him, St. Louis offered to PAY for a stadium and the jerk owner said "no I want LA" . So he wants him to be hurt in the wallet by no one showing up or buying their merchandise.

Gotcha.

The fan base in SD is strong, but they don't want their taxes to rise because a cheapskate owner is a cheapskate owner. Live the LA dream Spanos and figure out where you'll go next.

Here's the thing.... SD is a REGION, NOT a city... The actual "City" of san Diego is a TINY entity when compared to the region... When this so-called "vote" took place, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF FANS WERE LEFT OUT!

Towns like Spring Valley, El Cajon, Santee, Lemon Grove, Lakeside, Rancho San Diego, Poway, Oceanside, Carlsbad, Alpine, Chula Vista... I'm sure I've left out a few!

These are HUGE communities of homeowners that consider themselves " San Diegans" -it's the "meat" of the fan-base, and the people THAT DID NOT GET A VOTE!

Wow! -I'm a lifelong Bills fan who HATES the Chargers, and to me this is really sad!

Edited by #34fan

Here's the thing.... SD is a REGION, NOT a city... The actual "City" of san Diego is a TINY entity when compared to the region... When this so-called "vote" took place, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF FANS WERE LEFT OUT!

Towns like Spring Valley, El Cajon, Santee, Lemon Grove, Lakeside, Rancho San Diego, Poway, Oceanside, Carlsbad, Alpine, Chula Vista... I'm sure I've left out a few!

These are HUGE communities of homeowners that consider themselves " San Diegans" -it's the "meat" of the fan-base, and the people THAT DID NOT GET A VOTE!

Wow! -I'm a lifelong Bills fan who HATES the Chargers, and to me this is really sad!

Where does it work like that??

Would all of those other cities vote on other tax hiking proposals that San Diego is proposing in the future?