What difference if your team makes the playoffs?

Dr. K

The under current to this post is that making the playoffs is good enough. That's not where I'm at.

I see it as a progression. You need to make the playoffs first. Then shoot for a win...if it's in the same year great, otherwise shore up the weaknesses and look for continual improvement and becoming a contender every year.

The Lions seem to be stuck in neutral. The Dolphins haven't found consistency. Another example is the Texans. That's not what I want.

I thought the worst part of the Derek Carr injury was the Raiders got robbed of a productive playoff experience. They would have been competitive with Carr and maybe won a game, but the defense would've been exposed at some point.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of every season, only 1 team is happy.

What comes along with a playoff season is a good run and some big wins in December. I want that.

A playoff loss would hurt, but not as much as the Stealers, Raiders, and second Fish loss.

BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS REGARDLESS OF RESULT! :)

Because I want that monkey off our back, that's why. I want the week long build up of a playoff game. I want to go to or host a playoff party. I want that feeling back that we are heading in the right direction. Honestly, I don't care if they get crushed in round one. Getting that monkey off the back of the franchise and the fans would be huge IMO.

This.

Being relevant in January would be nice.

If the Bills made the playoffs and lose ala Miami, the Bills meme will turn into "23 years without a playoff win." Book it.

Or maybe we could go to the playoffs and win one?

Are we finally at the point we would rather not have to play than face possible failure?

To me it's the fact that we all invest a significant amount of time, money and passion into this team. Even with the parity that exists in the NFL one would think, in 17 years, that this organization would be able to assemble a decent enough product at least once to say, "Thank you" to us, the fans.

It all comes down to your QB. The question should be; is your team's QB good enough to win a Super Bowl. If not, it doesn't matter how often you've been to the playoffs, you should be looking to upgrade. What do Stafford, Smith, & Tannenhill all have in common? They will never (did I say never? I meant never) play consistently good enough to win a Super Bowl, let alone even make it to one.

To me, TT is an unknown. Sure, he won't beat anyone with his arm, but he sure can beat you with his feet. 6 points is 6 points.

Having a look at the Detroit-Seattle and the Miami-Pittsburgh games, it comes to me how odd it is for us all to suffer and moan about the Bills not making the playoffs for so long, as if their making it would really make any sort of difference. For half the teams all you get is another humiliating loss like the ones suffered by the Lions and the Fins (not that I would ever shed a tear for Miami). Not to mention the lame ending of Oakland's season. And the winners this week are likely to go down badly next week.

To put so much emotional weight on making the playoffs is a prescription for misery. And if they don't get wiped out, then you lose the way the Bills did to Tennessee, and suffer for the next twenty years from that.

Hypothetical question for you:

If we make it to , oh I don't know, 4 straight super bowls and lose them all, would you say "I wish we hadn't made it and broke my heart"? Don't know how old you are, but the journey is definitely worth it. Plenty of happy moments for the fans and the city as a whole. Now, I know a super bowl and a playoff game are different but 17 yrs without means the journey has sucked for 17 years. I want to have fun watching a good team play and watching them play toward a playoff spot. Again, if you weren't around for the SB run, it was a lot of fun. The year we last made the playoffs was also fun to watch. So, bring me a playoff appearance and I'm happy. You mentioned the phins and their loss, which fan base has a better feeling for their team this offseason? Definitely the phins.

Edited by Dopey

Those of us who watched the Kelly era Bills always thought we had a chance. Even though we lost the SBs the next year we believed and watched good football.

I've been saying this. Getting in the playoffs doesn't mean anything if you are a crappy six seed who sneaks in with NO chance of getting farther. You'll still be just as miserable afterwards with a non- playoff season probably to follow.

We need a coaching staff on the same page as management that can continually develope/ teach talent. We NEED a QB. Watching Rogers, Rothisberger, Manning, Wilson how can anyone not see it.

I remember Kelly's first season with us , watching him learn this league and finally get a come from behind win after losing on a bunch of late interceptions. I can handle watching a team become a team.

I can't handle watching an undisciplined bunch led by an idiot. Whoever they get, I hope we become a team with everyone buying in, players, coaches, GM.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Those of us who watched the Kelly era Bills always thought we had a chance. Even though we lost the SBs the next year we believed and watched good football.

I've been saying this. Getting in the playoffs doesn't mean anything if you are a crappy six seed who sneaks in with NO chance of getting farther. You'll still be just as miserable afterwards with a non- playoff season probably to follow.

We need a coaching staff on the same page as management that can continually develope/ teach talent. We NEED a QB. Watching Rogers, Rothisberger, Manning, Wilson how can anyone not see it.

I remember Kelly's first season with us , watching him learn this league and finally get a come from behind win after losing on a bunch of late interceptions. I can handle watching a team become a team.

I can't handle watching an undisciplined bunch led by an idiot. Whoever they get, I hope we become a team with everyone buying in, players, coaches, GM.

People forget that Kelly used to get trashed on sports radio back then.

Kelly is lucky that social media, TBD, and Twitter did not exist back then.

Well let's take Miami as an example. They had the chance with :27 left to score at least a FG or TD to cut the deficit to 10 or 6 and getting the ball back to start the third quarter. That could have changed the game completely. Add in the other 2 turn overs and their is the Steelers win. (So they are close just not ready yet)

Well let's take Miami as an example. They had the chance with :27 left to score at least a FG or TD to cut the deficit to 10 or 6 and getting the ball back to start the third quarter. That could have changed the game completely. Add in the other 2 turn overs and their is the Steelers win. (So they are close just not ready yet)

they choked it away with three straight turnovers atleast two that were while they were driving, they had a chance to make it a game but didn't

Having a look at the Detroit-Seattle and the Miami-Pittsburgh games, it comes to me how odd it is for us all to suffer and moan about the Bills not making the playoffs for so long, as if their making it would really make any sort of difference. For half the teams all you get is another humiliating loss like the ones suffered by the Lions and the Fins (not that I would ever shed a tear for Miami). Not to mention the lame ending of Oakland's season. And the winners this week are likely to go down badly next week.

To put so much emotional weight on making the playoffs is a prescription for misery. And if they don't get wiped out, then you lose the way the Bills did to Tennessee, and suffer for the next twenty years from that.

A lot of teams have won the SB as wild card, just didn't work out this weekend. Getting to the playoffs would mean that we are actually close instead of this delusion that has been perpetrated upon us for past 17 yrs.

Dolphins last won a playoff game in 2000. Since then they have lost 27-0 20-9 27-3 and 30-12 with a total of 2 tds in that time. Raiders made it for the first time since they lost in the superbowl in 2002. Lions haven't won a playoff game since 1991 and have only been three times since 1999. Losing 48-27 24-20 and 26-6.

Edited by BaaadThingsMan

they choked it away with three straight turnovers atleast two that were while they were driving, they had a chance to make it a game but didn't

The fins D was getting mauled in the first quarter. M. Moore definitely screwed them with the fumbles but that was a team loss.

On one hand, I agree with the OP. I have a buddy who is a diehard Bengals fan and he went 5 straight years making the playoffs only to lose big every time in the first round. He said he'd much rather not make it in unless they have a legit shot.

Look at Houston, a weak ass team who backed into the playoffs with no qb, about to go lose by 25 points and get embarassed next week. They only beat the Raiders because Carr was out and they know it.

On the other hand, anything can happen in the playoffs with turnovers, weather, injuries to other teams, etc. Remember the Giants with a .500 record squeaking out a wildcard spot and then (with a lot of luck) won it all.

So you always want to make it, but its not as fun at it seemed like it would be once you lose.

of course it would, that's what it is in every city without a playoff win. We don't have one since 1995, which itself is pretty pathetic (3rd worst in NFL).

The idea that you need to "suck badly" to get better really does not apply to perrenial playoff teams. Look at the Steelers D today. They make the playoffs almost every year. Bud Dupree (2nd year guy); Truitt; and Hargrave all looked great. You can find quality starting talent anywhere in the first round. Having a QB that can get you into the playoffs though is another issue.

Gee, thanks for explaining that. That never even occurred to me.