What difference if your team makes the playoffs?

Dr. K

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it sounds very silly when the bills or even fans talk about making the playoffs as the goal. Miami's season with a bunch of smoke and mirrors wins and a road playoff blowout is not impressive. I would take it. Heck, even an actual meaningful december or week 17 game at this point...

They really need to fix the organizational structure. Its a fragile thing. Even amidst super bowl years, egos tore it apart. Lots of entrenched egos there now.

They need to put every resource into finding a franchise qb.

Lastly, they need a smart, adaptable, hard working, hungry for glory, and detail oriented head coach.

I would rather miss the playoffs for 15 - 20 years & then win the Super Bowl than to be in the playoffs every year and not be able to do anything with it.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

Even great teams lose SB to inferior teams. That's why you have to have the ability keep going to the Playoffs, the more bites at the Apple the better chance you have to win it all.

I would rather miss the playoffs for 15 - 20 years & then win the Super Bowl than to be in the playoffs every year and not be able to do anything with it.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

But you would never know that unless you get in every year....This loser Buffalo mentality has to stop.....everyone is so used to losing no one seems to want to win

I agree that obviously you can never win it all if you never even make the playoffs. I was mostly just commenting on how this 17-year drought had raised the degree of emotional weight we have come to place on making the playoffs. Making the playoffs for all but one team still means ending the season with a loss.

I was around for all four Super Bowls and I was as charged up as anyone about the Bills being there, and would not have wanted it otherwise. I took it hard when they lost them all, and for the most part in humiliating fashion--Thurman can't find his helmet, getting pounded into jelly by the Cowboys in the third one, losing the fourth badly after leading at the half. Looking back on it, I wish I had spent a little less emotional energy on that, and spent more time enjoying my wife and kid.

Right now it's definitely the stigma. We are quickly raising up the ranks in all time playoff droughts in NFL history. Just get off that list. But I absolutely agree the goal shouldn't be "just get in" it should be a team built to win the championship.

Get off the "longest droughts in NFL history" list, then we can worry about postseason success.

I get where you're going. But, seriously, if we're so beaten down by this team and its losing, that even making the playoffs seems depressing... Then its time to turn off all football for a while.

Yes, the Dolphins got beat easily are are 1 and done. But, in the first year of a new HC after a pretty bad start... They improved enough to be one of the 6 best teams in the AFC. That's a heck of a year by any standard!

The way I see it, and perhaps I'm out dated, but when you've been as bad as this team had been for as long as it has been; you have to start small. To expect us to go from ...this. To Superbowl in 1 year is just unrealistic. First we (and I mean everyone from the FO to the coaches to the players and yes to the fans) have to learn to how to win more than they lose, learn to expect good things, make the playoffs, deal with that added attention, and then win in the playoffs. Its rare for any team to do that in 1 season. And when you're starting with a dumpster fire, its even more improbable. Would I be happy for a playoff spot? Hell, I'm still hoping for a professional NFL team to show up every Sunday. So, yeah, I'd love to see us make the playoffs and let the outcome be as it may. ...for a couple years

I see getting over the hump and into the playoffs as an incremental stage in shaping an annually competitive team.

Much like the Pittsburgh Pirates who suffered a similar drought, getting into the playoffs was a very big deal. It reset expectations.

I think for us it's more of a stigma now. Don't want the drought to continue to be a narrative looming over us. But obviously I'd rather be out of the playoffs for 20 years and then win a championship a la the Kansas City Royals than whatever the Lions and Dolphins just did.

Yep.

Plus, it's kind of like climbing Mt. Everest. The Bills haven't even make it to the first base camp after several failed attempts. It's kind of pathetic.

Neither the Lions or Fins reached the summit, they at least made it to Camp 1.

Hypothetical question for you:

If we make it to , oh I don't know, 4 straight super bowls and lose them all, would you say "I wish we hadn't made it and broke my heart"? Don't know how old you are, but the journey is definitely worth it. Plenty of happy moments for the fans and the city as a whole. Now, I know a super bowl and a playoff game are different but 17 yrs without means the journey has sucked for 17 years. I want to have fun watching a good team play and watching them play toward a playoff spot. Again, if you weren't around for the SB run, it was a lot of fun. The year we last made the playoffs was also fun to watch. So, bring me a playoff appearance and I'm happy. You mentioned the phins and their loss, which fan base has a better feeling for their team this offseason? Definitely the phins.

Yes, those were Glory Years!

The Bills made the playoffs in 1988 and 1989.

This led to making four Super consecutive Bowl appearances (and losses).

In the six years that followed, the Bills made the playoffs four times. So, from 1988 through 1999 the Bills missed the playoffs TWICE.

The seasons may have ended with out a Lombardi trophy, but the Bills were fun to watch!

Since the 2000 season, the Bills have had two winning seasons and no playoffs. It has not been fun being a fan. This year was painful to watch.

If it was not for the Bills TBD Tailgate for the home opener, with a chance to see my friends, I doubt I would spend the money on a $100 nosebleed bench seat.

I have been a Bills fan since the early sixties, and I will cheer for them in 2017. I just have zero expectations.