Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

Good-bye TT.

I was struck by how blunt A Lynn was during the coach's presser the week of the Jets game. Saying TT is uncomfortable with certain route concepts and preferred not to use the middle of the field vs. safer outside routes even though we have a TE that can exploit the seams. And then he couched that by suggesting he can teach these things to TT in the offseason. That was very blunt criticism of the limitation of TT's game.

But damn, he's still the best option we have from where I sit, given the current state of things (key word, current).

I wonder what craziness they might try in the wake of a Tyrod release...

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7-9,8-8, and 9-7 is right on the brink of success though.

Let me ask you this:

Do we become a better team by improving the offense or the defense? Which unit this year let you down more? Which unit do you think performed at or above expectations and which was a let down?

For me the answers are all defense.

It depends on what your definition of success is; if it is simply making the playoffs - sure. Just know that you are gonna get bounced quickly. My problem has been this our stated goal has simply been to make the playoffs; ideally your vision (Goal) should be to get to the Superbowl and win it. The entire organization on the football side of the house, should be working to assemble the right coaches who can develop players, CFB does not do a great job in bringing in ready made talent anymore, the CBA also restricts how much you can really do in the offseason and even during the season now. You coaching staff needs to be able train and develop the talent and be able to use the talent successfully based on their talent and not the scheme; the Pats* do this better than almost anyone else and that helps a ton with their longevity (obviously Tom Lady does too).

On the personnel side of the house, you need strong Pro personnel people who can find the gems in the league that you can get a lot of production out of (Whaley seems to be pretty strong in this regard). You need strong scouts to be able to find talent, and always take BPA, always take QBs, etc. We just fill holes and say this position under performed so lets try to position ourselves to draft X player, even though there is way better talent in the draft you could have taken. When you are at the mid-top of the first you should bet getting impact players - CBs, Generational Safeties (possibly DT), QBs, WRs, Pass Rushing Ends - high skill position type players. You can find good OL/TEs/RBs/LBs in the late first and through the 5th rounds usually. 6th and 7th are used for those Listenbee/Henderson type players...just IMO of course....

Our team isn't simply fix the defense or the offense. You want an offense that isn't one dimensional and we are that; you have to keep a defense honest. This will help you move the chains and chew clock when you have the lead. TT doesn't allow you to do that with the areas in which he is still weak after 2 seasons as a starter. You also need a defense that can get off the field, our's can't. In these instances yes you would like an offense that could bail them out, ours can't - they actually put them back on the field more, which is why you end up with the first Dolphins game or the Raiders game. Even a dominant D won't be able to help you get a come from behind win if your offense is one-dimensional (see Denver). Peyton was garbage last year, but he was brilliant at reading defenses and checking out of bad plays.

So we do need both a better D overall and more from the QB position. On top of that we are pretty bad at identifying talent in the draft and we are not good at developing players from a coaching aspect either. We are also a team whose stated goal is to make the playoffs; this by definition is your quintessential 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 team. The Cowboys have talent, the Raiders got talent, KC has talent. Who do you favor for the Conference Championship games and the Superbowl this year? I bet they are all of the ones with a franchise QB....

Agreed... HOWEVER... there is still zero evidence of any new content or actual "news" provided in that article. And like I said before, if this ain't due to a trade for Phil Rivers or something to THAT effect, this isn't likely even a thing.

You need a reason to believe the inexplicable?

As I said upthread.........Kevin Kolb.

Whaley has been part of a braintrust that traded in a healthy Ryan Fitzpatrick who had thrown 23, 24 and 24 TD passes in three years for a cripple who had never even thrown 10 TD's in a single season despite numerous cracks at being a starter.

People were done with Fitz so the utter absurdity of it was lost somewhat in the "anybody but Fitz" mentality.........but Whaley was part of it.

Edited by #BADOL

So to recap, Tyrod over the last two seasons had more TD's per game, less turnovers, a better completion %, a better QB rating than Big Ben's 5th and 6th years in the NFL; Tyrod's total yardage would've been right there with Big Ben too if he played 2 more games, since Big Ben had 2 more games played during that stretch.

I appreciate all the work but with respect you still aren't comparing apples to apples.

You are comparing straight numbers and not looking at context or the way NFL offenses have changed in 8 years. In 2008, Big Ben's 5th year in the league, he threw 3301 yards. He threw 17 TDs to 15 ints. Do you know where that ranks him in 2008? In yards he was 14th in the league. With 15 TDs he was 15th in the league. Now let's look at TT.

In 2015, Tyrod passed for 3035 yards with 20 TDs and 6 ints. Those numbers put him 23rd and 21st respectively. See the difference? The league was different. In 2008 there were 6 Qbs that passed for more than 4,000 yards. There were 3 Qbs who passed for more than 30 TDs. In 2015 12 QBs passed for more than 4000 yards and 11 QBs passed for more than 30 TDs.

Again the same holds true for 2009. In 2009, Big Ben's 6th year in the league he threw for 4328 yards with 26 TDs and 12 ints. Those numbers rank him 7th in yards and 10th in TDs. In 2009 there were 9 QBs who threw for 4000 yards and 4 passed for more than 30 TDs.

In 2016 Tyrod was 25th in yards and 24th in TDs. 2016 saw 13 QBs pass for more than 4000 yards. Although there was a drop in Qbs that passed for more than 30 TDs. That can kind of be explained with Tom Brady only playing 12 games and Derek Carr being hurt, when he was 1 TD away from 30.

I just think you can't do direct player comparisons for different eras. Players need to be compared to their peers.

SAYING ALL OF THAT...

I think the Bills should resign Taylor. He led a top 10 offense for the Bills and if they had even a mediocre defense, this team is in the playoffs. I don't think Taylor is the answer long term, so they should keep looking. But he can certainly help the team get into the playoffs.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

If anyone doubts we are moving on from Tyrod tune into WGR and John Murphy show. They are explaining why Tyrod is limited. John said he talked to Bills mgmt.

They are already selling what's next.

Welp....Pegs apparently trusts Doug to right this ship....INteresting....

Isn't Schefter the one who had Marrone going to the Jets and then Marrone as the hot candidate for the Falcons 2 years ago?

The link I found just interprets the Bills decision to bench Taylor for the finale as indicating he's gone: "When the Bills didn't play quarterback Tyrod Taylor in their regular-season finale on Sunday against the New York Jets, it sent the message that the team does not intend to pick up the $15.5 million option bonus in his contract that they have until March 11 to exercise.".

This is old news and probably hearkens back to La Canfora's "leaks" and also to the press current interpretation of the Bills PR announcement on Taylor's surgery. In the clip, Polian goes on at length about the impending grievance and so forth, and then at the end says it's all most likely nothing: "the typical recovery from this surgery with this surgeon is 6 weeks, so it may come to nothing"

I don't understand the interpretation of benching Taylor: he's apparently been playing hurt, why risk further injury in a meaningless game? And if, as has been reported, EJ has been looking "night and day" better as the scout team QB, doesn't due diligence require a final game-time look before you sweep him out the door? Why not take Whaley at his word that it was a business decision and Pegula at his word (AP interview) "the decision was made to bench starter Tyrod Taylor to evaluate backup EJ Manuel and rookie fourth-round pick Cardale Jones" and "As for Taylor's future, Pegula said that was still to be evaluated before the Bills have to decide in March to pick up the option on his five-year contract extension."

But you are ignoring the facts. Rants and speculation do not require facts just anonymous sources which cannot be checked and are probably made up or another reporter.

The sports world needs a site which does grading of insiders.

Good-bye TT.

I was struck by how blunt A Lynn was during the coach's presser the week of the Jets game. Saying TT is uncomfortable with certain route concepts and preferred not to use the middle of the field vs. safer outside routes even though we have a TE that can exploit the seams. And then he couched that by suggesting he can teach these things to TT in the offseason. That was very blunt criticism of the limitation of TT's game.

But damn, he's still the best option we have from where I sit, given the current state of things (key word, current).

That's why I'm saying that Lynn is the likely head coach. If these discussions started in October, he's fully behind the move.

If anyone doubts we are moving on from Tyrod tune into WGR and John Murphy show. They are explaining why Tyrod is limited. John said he talked to Bills mgmt.

They are already selling what's next.

Absolute BS - Murphy stating clear as a bell that NO DECISION has been made on Tyrod and even notes the tweet but states clearly no decision on qb been made.

It makes no sense on 2 points:

1- An incoming coach might want him

2- No viable option and TT productivity and top 10 in scoring

Whaley has been part of a braintrust that traded in a healthy Ryan Fitzpatrick who had thrown 23, 24 and 24 TD passes in three years for a cripple who had never even thrown 10 TD's in a single season despite numerous cracks at being a starter.

People were done with Fitz so the utter absurdity of it was lost somewhat in the "anybody but Fitz" mentality.........but Whaley was part of it.

It's gonna be Foles...I can feel it...

That's why I'm saying that Lynn is the likely head coach. If these discussions started in October, he's fully behind the move.

I think that is an interesting point. A lot of folks have concluded no Tyrod equals no Lynn. I surmise, as you speculate, this indicates a greater likelihood he is the hire.

Absolute BS - Murphy stating clear as a bell that NO DECISION has been made on Tyrod and even notes the tweet but states clearly no decision on qb been made.

It makes no sense on 2 points:

1- An incoming coach might want him

2- No viable option and TT productivity and top 10 in scoring

I really find it hard pressed that the Bills offense, will be this high again next year. Even if Schwartz stayed, our D would have regressed in 2015 and most likely 2016. Our roster talent is much better than it has been, but still is not good enough. The revisionist in me, feels like Dickie J got a ton out of absolute crap and bottom barrel talent; therefore he really did a great job...

Cutler is my prediction

Even if Kromer stays?

You're right he was part of it... I just would think he didn't necessarily have much say then. But yeah smh if true.

All MOST of us are saying here (if you ignore the !@#$tards that auto-respond with the same puke) is don't flat out let the dude walk until you have someone in the building that's better. It's pretty simple really. And with him being about the 15 to 20th most productive QB in football, that's not so easy to do.

I don't think Rex or Lynn were in those discussions. Rex was all-in on Tyrod........reportedly. There wouldn't be any benefit of including Lynn in those discussions.