Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Whaley understand that he is in the WINNING GAMES business?

He certainly does. In his view winning to achieve mediocrity is not what he is aiming for. What many people fail to accept that Whaley doesn't have a high view of TT's potential as a franchise qb. From his perspective if he is going to have a limited qb then he is going to expect the going rate for that caliber of qb.

Let's assume for argument sake that Whaley has a very dim view of TT. If that is the case then his willingness to dispatch TT makes a lot of sense. The biggest issue Whaley probably has with the fleet footed qb is that he doesn't see the whole field. When Whaley watches the tape he sees receivers get open but the qb doesn't properly respond. Whaley repeatedly sees plays develop and the qb's timing to react to the play is just too late to make the connection. This is what the GM sees time and time again. If that is the GM's assessment then in his mind wouldn't it be better to bring in a qb such as McCarron or Glennon who can run a pro offense at a cheaper price?

You often cite statistics to strengthen your case. That is a tribute to you. But statistics don't often apply to plays that are not made that could be made. Whaley invested a lot of resources in both Watkins and Clay. You don't think that the GM gets highly aggravated when he sees these receivers get open and the ball isn't thrown to the spot where it should be thrown?

I have strong suspicions that Whaley doesn't see the cost $$$$ benefit with TT. He has probably made a judgment that unless this running qb adjusts his contract downward then he is not worth the cost. You may think his approach is injudicious and a tad reckless but I don't.

The offense averaged 26 PPG with TT under center. I don't see Glennon or McCarron coming anywhere close to that. You either start over (I'm advocating blowing off 2017 and trying to get Darnold) or keep TT and try to fix the defense.

If Glennon faced that initial rusher like TT does (always) he'd have been sacked another 20 times. You also have to remove his 580 yards on the ground and 6 TDs. If you just slide those over to passing stats (because who cares how they got there) the new QB will need to average 240 yards a game and have 24.5 TDs to 6.5 INTs for it to be an upgrade. They will need to average more than 26 PPG. I see no chance of any other available QB (with the possible exception of Romo who has a totally different set of concerns) coming anywhere close to that.

Again, if they want to move on from TT, I think that they should trade pick 10 for a 2nd in 2017 and a 1st in 2018 (preferably from a bad team). They should clear the cap as best they can in 2017, bottom out and enter 2018 with a really early 1st, another 1st and a bunch of cap space.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He certainly does. In his view winning to achieve mediocrity is not what he is aiming for. What many people fail to accept that Whaley doesn't have a high view of TT's potential as a franchise qb. From his perspective if he is going to have a limited qb then he is going to expect the going rate for that caliber of qb.

If they are indeed moving on from Tyrod, this must mean taking a QB in the 1st round.

It's odd that it seems so obvious to so many that the Bills need to clean house now, but haven't.

I'm just trying to come up with a scenario where what they are doing makes sense. If you've got an idea for a "savior" to come in and make the team over, don't bring him in when you think you might win 3 games. You bring him in after rock bottom is hit.

To fans a year from now seems like an eternity. To people in billion dollar business ventures a year might as well be a week. You plan FAR in advance.

The offense averaged 26 PPG with TT under center. I don't see Glennon or McCarron coming anywhere close to that. You either start over (I'm advocating blowzing off 2017 and trying to get Darnold) or keep TT and try to fix the defense.

If Glennon faced that initial rusher like TT does (always) he'd have been sacked another 20 times. You also have to remove his 580 yards on the ground and 6 TDs. If you just slide those over to passing stats (because who cares how they got there) the new QB will need to average 240 yards a game and have 24.5 TDs to 6.5 INTs for it to be an upgrade. They will need to average more than 26 PPG. I see no chance of any other available QB (with the possible exception of Romo who has a totally different set of concerns) coming anywhere close to that.

Again, if they want to move on from TT, I think that they should trade pick 10 for a 2nd in 2017 and a 1st in 2018 (preferably from a bad team). They should clear the cap as best they can in 2017, bottom out and enter 2018 with a really early 1st, another 1st and a bunch of cap space.

They will never do this. I'm not saying this is the wrong idea, however!

The offense averaged 26 PPG with TT under center. I don't see Glennon or McCarron coming anywhere close to that. You either start over (I'm advocating blowzing off 2017 and trying to get Darnold) or keep TT and try to fix the defense.

It sucks to think of it now but long term gain is worth the short term pain.

It's odd that it seems so obvious to so many that the Bills need to clean house now, but haven't.

I'm just trying to come up with a scenario where what they are doing makes sense. If you've got an idea for a "savior" to come in and make the team over, don't bring him in when you think you might win 3 games. You bring him in after rock bottom is hit.

To fans a year from now seems like an eternity. To people in billion dollar business ventures a year might as well be a week. You plan FAR in advance.

Bottoming out just as often results in ... more bottoming out. Ask the Pirates, who had a losing record for two straight decades despite tons of HIGH draft picks.

To me, it seems so obvious that the thing needs to be razed and rebuilt for real *hint* the Bills haven't had a true rebuild in the past 20 years. The team constantly plugs holes chasing an 8-8 record... hoping to get lucky and hit 9-7 and make the wild card.

The more they try to avoid a rebuild the greater the likelihood one is in their future. At the same time, the current GM knows his back is against the wall and can't sustain a 3 or 4 win season, so he does what's best for his career and charts a course which inhibits the franchise.

I cannot believe how similar the Pegullible led Sabres in 2011-14 were to the Bills of 2014-17. They tried to avoid a rebuild with the Sabres and it didn't work. Now they're doing the same with the Bills and will be in the same place after their first few seasons of ownership.

I'm on it!

I think we're onto something here dm! Outstanding work.

And query this - who was it who handed Tyrod this problematic contract mid-season? What really changed in the interim? Isn't he the same player now that he was then? What the hell is wrong with this franchise?

Don't even worry your pretty little head about the contract. It does not matter one bit. If the Bills don't pick him up, Taylor becomes the belle of the free agency ball. He'll make 3X more money there.

pretty obvious he's of the opinion that TT isn't good enough to get the team to the playoffs and have sustained success. I think he sees him as a high quality backup or fringe starter.What we don't know is whether there is another QB that he is targeting to bring in who he thinks can take over with at least same or better results. Could be trade, FA, draft. Or Cardale.

Don't even worry your pretty little head about the contract. It does not matter one bit. If the Bills don't pick him up, Taylor becomes the belle of the free agency ball. He'll make 3X more money there.

But there was no reason to extend him the way they did, when they did, unless they were already comfortable with him as a starter going forward.

This will be a mistake. They absolutely won't have improved QB play in 2017. If the goal is 1 step back to take 2 forward I think that I am okay with it. The other roster decisions should be made accordingly. I'd prefer to tank 2017 and chase Sam Darnold if that's the case.

This decision has been made for a while, as has the decision on who the HC is, as I've been saying for a few weeks now.

Tyrod is gone, Lynn is in.

I totally agree we will not have improved QB play next year.

Barring some really interesting off-season, I would guess we win 3 or 4 games LESS next year.

At the end of that tire fire, HC and GM (and hopefully everyone else) will be gone.

I just hope the Phoenix is ready to rise again right around the time we find a way to draft Darnold.

Edited by Fadingpain