New Chenelly Tweets 1/3/17

Reed83HOF

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joe tweeted that at least one steeler assistant is still on their list.

Didn't say who. That's probably what JW is hearing. Would guess Hailey

Haley is an interesting candidate. Like McDaniels, he was kind of a mess as HC although he had some success - inherited a bad team, turned it around to winning and playoffs his second season. His best year featured Charlie Weis as OC and Meh Cassel in a stout run-first O, #1 run game, #30 pass game, and a middle-of-the-pack D. Hmmm, sound familiar? His next year fell off, with Cassel and his backup both throwing more picks and the run game not as good. He was reportedly a bit of a "prima donna", doing stuff like firing Gailey as OC just before the start of his first season there.

Like McDaniels, if Haley has grown and reflected on "what went wrong" in KC as McDaniels would hopefully have reflected on Denver and St Louis, Haley could be a good HC in his 2nd shot. The Steelers had some fall-off his first two seasons but they're cooking along right now.

If Haley hasn't done that reflection and it's all on everyone else, he could be a disaster. He's spent time around 2 winning organizations (Cardinals in 2007 and 2008) as well as some success with a mediocre QB in his HC gig. I think Whaley's mental model for how a franchise should work is based in Pittsburgh, so since Haley has spent 5 years there they might be a good match to work smoothly together, provided Haley doesn't go all inflated-ego when he gets a 2nd HC shot.

Unlike McDaniels working with Belichick where the offense was arguably great before he took over, great after he left, and great when he came back, I don't think there's any question that Haley is the real brains behind the Pittsburgh offense. Big Ben is a very good QB, but he's not Brady and the Steelers arguably have a stronger offense now than under Arians. Haley should have the experience and contacts in the league to bring in a good DC.

I would actually be very positive about bringing in Haley.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Haley is an interesting candidate. Like McDaniels, he was kind of a mess as HC although he had some success - inherited a bad team, turned it around to winning and playoffs his second season. His best year featured Charlie Weis as OC and Meh Cassel in a stout run-first O, #1 run game, #30 pass game, and a middle-of-the-pack D. Hmmm, sound familiar? His next year fell off, with Cassel and his backup both throwing more picks and the run game not as good. He was reportedly a bit of a "prima donna", doing stuff like firing Gailey as OC just before the start of his first season there.

Like McDaniels, if Haley has grown and reflected on "what went wrong" in KC as McDaniels would hopefully have reflected on Denver and St Louis, Haley could be a good HC in his 2nd shot. The Steelers had some fall-off his first two seasons but they're cooking along right now.

If Haley hasn't done that reflection and it's all on everyone else, he could be a disaster. He's spent time around 2 winning organizations (Cardinals in 2007 and 2008) as well as some success with a mediocre QB in his HC gig. I think Whaley's mental model for how a franchise should work is based in Pittsburgh, so since Haley has spent 5 years there they might be a good match to work smoothly together, provided Haley doesn't go all inflated-ego when he gets a 2nd HC shot.

Unlike McDaniels working with Belichick where the offense was arguably great before he took over, great after he left, and great when he came back, I don't think there's any question that Haley is the real brains behind the Pittsburgh offense. Big Ben is a very good QB, but he's not Brady and the Steelers arguably have a stronger offense now than under Arians. Haley should have the experience and contacts in the league to bring in a good DC.

:thumbsup: have said it more than once on various coaching threads that haley would work .. like BB , learn from your mistakes

Numerous reports say on Taylor, rather than expanding them into connecting giving and GM John Schneider working their depth in the matter. By firing them out of they talking to bigger football names? How about Stanford's David Shaw, Washington's Chris Pete Carroll and if that time.

The Seahawks' success has the next $27.5 million in his compromised a new coach.

Well, I've been largely a personnel triumph, with a critical time.

They're as far from Pegulas interviewing their feet

Numerous reports say on Taylor, rather than expanding them into connecting giving and GM John Schneider working their depth in the matter. By firing them out of they talking to bigger football names? How about Stanford's David Shaw, Washington's Chris Pete Carroll and if that time.

The Seahawks' success has the next $27.5 million in his compromised a new coach.

Errrrrrrr...English, please

Still celebrating that Clemson win?

Google translator working not.

Your most cogent post yet...

For all of you Haley supporters out there.

Haley ran an offense featuring a future Hall of Fame QB, the best WR in the game and possibly the best RB,and they scored the exact number of points the Bills did this year.

Ok . Who would you suggest for HC ? What if Haley had led a record setting offense? It wouldn't mean he could duplicate the success in Buffalo.

Serious question:

Are you having a stroke?

This really hurts.

No thanks.

I watched Todd Haley's Chiefs team get beaten twice in a row by Chan Gailey's Bills by a combined score of 76-14.

No. Thanks.

Bandit, I'm confused. Haley coached the Chiefs 2009-10-11 (fired in season). Gailey coached the Bills 2010-11-12. So the Haley Chiefs and the Gailey Bills overlapped in 2010 & 2011.

In 2010, the Chiefs beat the Bills in OT 13-10 in a game that saw a combined 742 yds of offense for 23 combined points.

In 2011, the Bills beat the Chiefs 41-13 to open the season, which looked fantastic, but it was sort of like Fitzpatrick beating the Bills this year - his Superbowl - and back then that was like Chan's Superbowl.

The tough, physical clock-controlling offense we took into that game disappeared afterwards, and the offense as a whole went missing in action a few games later.

Anyway, I can't make your points come out right.

I'm so confused, what is the original language of this post and which translation program did you use?

Yea the second game Bandit is thinking of was actually Crennell's Chiefs. We did batter them two years in a row under Chan but only one was on Haley's watch

Thanks, that makes sense.

I'm not saying Haley is all bright-n-shiny, but as I and others have said, there are really two choices for head coach:

1) a guy with prior NFL HC experience who got fired because it didn't work out

2) a guy without prior NFL HC experience, typically one who has been successful for several years as an OC or DC but sometimes a college HC

In the case of 1), you hope he's learned something, reflected on what went right or wrong, and will be a better HC in his 2nd chance. This is more likely with a guy who got fired and stepped away from the game for a year or went back to working as a coordinator, than in one who was fired by one team and skipped along to another

In the case of 2) you hope he can successfully transition to the somewhat different skill set of an NFL HC

In either case, you do your due diligence and ask your questions then you hope to be lucky. Someone probably has a system which claims to discern what qualities are most important, and yet as with QB, year after year teams strike out.

Agreed. Haley is a guy I want nothing to do with. He's even a worse person than he is a coach.

this kinda doesn't make him sound that way. http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/26809/anthony-lynn-todd-haley-brothers-for-life-after-lynn-dodged-death

not that I'm booking for Haley - I really don't have a dog in this fight - and I had heard he was an arrogant pr**k in KC, but a guy might learn from his mistakes in 5 years

may be a moot point anyway

I'm sorry but I don't believe it takes great brains to generate a productive offense with Big Ben, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell.

Haley may have the easiest job in America.

He was a trainwreck as a HC in KC. I wouldn't touch him with a 50 foot pole.

It's funny Haley is still the guy being discussed on this thread now that Joe said the Steelers coach in question is Butler. I didn't know much about Butler, but he looks impressive -- 14 years as the linebackers coach, coached and eventually promoted to take over for our buddy Dick Lebeau and then actually improved the defense. I see an article that says he turned down other teams in the past while he was the LB coach so to stay with Lebeau.

It's funny Haley is still the guy being discussed on this thread now that Joe said the Steelers coach in question is Butler. I didn't know much about Butler, but he looks impressive -- 14 years as the linebackers coach, coached and eventually promoted to take over for our buddy Dick Lebeau and then actually improved the defense. I see an article that says he turned down other teams in the past while he was the LB coach so to stay with Lebeau.

Well, according to other people we might as well stop talking about either 'cuz it's McDermott.

But people tend to read threads chronologically, and don't always get to the bottom of the thread before they post. And if you look at the times, most of the posts are around the same time as the post about Chenelly.