Sully: Doug Whaley's team a no-show in finale

Rico

That whole draft is crazy, but AJ would be suffering like Sammy here. The rest over Dareus is a hindsight move. That whole draft was freakish.

Not sure how you can say it was obvious to take Dareus at 3 then say he screwed up by not taking another player at 3.

Sheppard for Hughes was still an awesome move. He had gaffes but sucked?

The luster of Hughes is wearing off. Now I wonder if he was good his 1st 2 years with the Bills because of his line mates. He's frequently out of position on runs. The Jets were running his way.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Troup pick had me befuddled. We selected an undersized nose tackle who had a bad back. It turned out that he was an undersized nose tackle who had a bad back. :wallbash:

Well, at least there weren't any talented players still left on the board at that point...

The first Three. The Rex way.

First four picks, actually. You forgot about the 4th rounder given away (along with this year's 4th) to move up for an ILB.

He's a quality WR but he has CLEAR holes in his game.

He's a smooth route runner but is not fast enough nor does he have the height to compensate for it to be exceptional on the perimeter....... and being a bit of a long strider he is not quick enough to be dynamic in the slot.

He's pretty much a ZERO wrt YAC yards.....always leaves his feet and struggles with balance.

He's also been injured a lot........some will say that's why he's bad in certain areas.......but he's seemed like the same guy all along.

Because the rest of the WR corps is awful they are worse off without him.......but he's not worth the projected $9M in any offense and particularly not as a misfit in this one.

I agree with this. All I'm saying is that he's a quality nfl vet at this point who can do well in the right situation. Sorta like the guy who led the NFL in yards per catch this season. That is, not great, but a valuable piece at the right price.

Where's the quote. Why not use Woods own words for such a big statement?

I am wondering this as well

I've never understood the love for Woods here either. I like his effort and grit but he's an average #2 at best; easily replaceable. I can't see paying him $9-$10M / yr like people were advocating in an earlier thread.

I actually love him.....but why is nobody talking about the fact that he has not been able to stay healthy the last 2 years?

First three picks all defense in last draft. Signed Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander. Is Sully suggesting Whaley whacked Ragland's knee to get Rex fired?

I dont get it either

The problem I ahve with Sully (well one of them) is he automatically lumps using draft picks to move up for a guy like Reggie Ragland like it is a negative.

Before Reggie went down....he was the talk of the camp......this instinctual thumping linebacker leader on the field (you know that type you need to keep RB's from gaining 200 yards a game on you)

Its not Whaley's faulty that Ragland went down.......he was a healthy player all through college....its not like it was a common injury for him?

Whaley should not be judged on this last draft because we dont know how well we did yet

Lawson - had to come back from surgery...no training camp or preason......should not be judged yet (made some plays today)

Ragland - same

Washington - jury is still out

Jon Williams - thumper who needs to hold onto the ball jury is still out

Listenbee - jury is still out

Seymore - getting starting reps

The luster of Hughes is wearing off. Now I wonder if he was good his 1st 2 years with the Bills because of his line mates. He's frequently out of position on runs. The Jets were running his way.

He is a pass rusher.....they need to get a DC that plays schemes that fit the players

Seriously. Sully blames Whaley if its cloudy

I think Whaley is responsible for Benghazi.

Huh? Hughes, Dareus, Woods, Kiko(McCoy), Gilmore, Glenn, Wood, Mario, AW, Searcy were all great or good moves.

Can someone explain to me why Nix gets all the credit for Hughes (traded just before he handed off the GM role to Whaley), but Whaley gets all the blame for Manuel (drafted just before Nix handed off the GM role to Whaley)?

I would personally assume (absent clear evidence outsiders don't have) that both of them were involved in both decisions.

Sully is right on. Surprised to hear Woods wants to go to another team.

Woods has said publically (and been quoted in the press) that he wants to stay.

Depending upon the coach and QB situation, though, it may be a Career Limiting Move for him. He is underutilized here, as is Watkins and Clay.

First three picks all defense in last draft. Signed Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander. Is Sully suggesting Whaley whacked Ragland's knee to get Rex fired?

No, in fact if you had read the article he said you cant blame Whaley for the injury, but you can question the decision to give up an extra 4th to move up 8 spots.

Sully is spot on. People are delusional if they don't think Whaley is a major problem.

He's drafted poorly.

Mismanaged the roster and our cap space.

We have little to no depth

We have 24 free agents and little cap space in which to properly replace them and fill holes

Trades draft picks like they grow on trees.

I don't want this guy selecting our next HC and choosing our next QB.

Stop sully you wrote the article already . Its obvious you do very little research

My head is going to explode, I actually agree with some of what Sullen has to say:

"That's when it really hit me how poor a job General Manager Doug Whaley has done building an NFL roster through the draft, and how little he did to help Rex Ryan in his second and, ultimately, final season as the Bills' head coach. . . .

That's a pretty miserable effort. And while things could get better down the road, it flies in the face of the notion – pushed by Whaley and team ownership – that he gave Ryan some kind of playoff roster this season.

Well, Ryan is gone. The team that failed to show up against the Jets for Lynn is Whaley's baby now. It's all on him. No one else to blame for all the misguided moves and financially bloated roster that bumbled its way to a 17th straight non-playoff season. "

You believe the crap Sully puts out because you want to believe . If you did the research you would see most of the sports dept for the Buffalo News are liars plan and simple

Edited by liverpoolkev

A little warm-up for tomorrow's presser:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/01/jerry-sullivan-whaleys-team-no-show-finale/

"So when you get down to it, this has been Whaley's team, his show, for four seasons. He should be judged accordingly. If the Pegulas send him out there alone to take the bullets on Monday, maybe it's because he deserves it." :thumbsup:

Here, here!!!!

In the " good years" Dareus, Kyle and #94 were being double teamed a lot. Letting Hughes run free. Now Hughes is getting run at. Go figure.

I think Whaley is responsible for Benghazi.

Can someone explain to me why Nix gets all the credit for Hughes (traded just before he handed off the GM role to Whaley), but Whaley gets all the blame for Manuel (drafted just before Nix handed off the GM role to Whaley)?

I would personally assume (absent clear evidence outsiders don't have) that both of them were involved in both decisions.

Woods has said publically (and been quoted in the press) that he wants to stay.

Depending upon the coach and QB situation, though, it may be a Career Limiting Move for him. He is underutilized here, as is Watkins and Clay.

It depends on who you are talking to. Some folks believe Whaley was the driving force in the 2013 offseason as reported, others do not.

This is Sully's favorite time of year; where he is vindicated for all he has written for 4 months... wallow in it Sully

Well it must feel good to once again have his previous statements proven right while his detractors prefer to bury their heads in the sand.

Woods can play. He's definitely not a number one, but he'd excel at a place like GB. He's a good route runner. He is so outta here though.

One can argue Whaley should've had a contingency plan in place (not Kolby Listenbee) when the last OC turned the #2 WR position into a 6th o-lineman. Who in their right mind would wanna stay around for more of that? Our WR group is comically thin.

Stop sully you wrote the article already . Its obvious you do very little research

You believe the crap Sully puts out because you want to believe . If you did the research you would see most of the sports dept for the Buffalo News are liars plan and simple

Humor me. And remember, columns are opinions.

The problem I ahve with Sully (well one of them) is he automatically lumps using draft picks to move up for a guy like Reggie Ragland like it is a negative.

Before Reggie went down....he was the talk of the camp......this instinctual thumping linebacker leader on the field (you know that type you need to keep RB's from gaining 200 yards a game on you)

Its not Whaley's faulty that Ragland went down.......he was a healthy player all through college....its not like it was a common injury for him?

Whaley should not be judged on this last draft because we dont know how well we did yet

I agree that it isn't fair to judge this last draft class at this point. It could turn out to be a decent draft still.

OTOH, the line from Sullivan's article was qualified. Paraphrasing: this past draft failed to provide Rex Ryan with much of anything in his final season as Bills head coach on the field. There isn't really any argument to be had there. This last draft was a list of injuries that provided little value in its first year.

There was also the line about Whaley and building the team through the draft, which can be argued. While Tim Graham pointed out the team has the fewest number of its own draft picks, etc., it can be argued that isn't all on Whaley. Personally, I do think Rex Ryan had a big say in going after a number of free agents and veterans in his own efforts to transform the roster. Perhaps it is ironic but given how short the hook is and the effort by some holdovers, it might have served RR better if they had been able to purge more holdovers and bring in even more free agents.

No, in fact if you had read the article he said you cant blame Whaley for the injury, but you can question the decision to give up an extra 4th to move up 8 spots.

Yes you can question anything. It doesn't mean you are smart. How is any GM supposed to know a draft pick will tear a knee ligament just by running? Is that not obvious?

He didn't.

The accusation was Whaley did nothing to help Rex find talent. Whaley devoted the first three picks to defense and found two depth players that become solid starters in Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander. I'll grant you Lawson was a gamble but Ragland was supposed to be a stud and Washington did well filling in for a suspended Dareus. What else did Whaley need to do for Rex? Buy him a Football Defense For Dummies book?