Option at Defensive Coordinator: a familiar face!

KDIGGZ

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/30/wade-phillips-could-become-a-coaching-free-agent-soon/

Wade Phillips just built arguably one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL. If he makes it to market there is no team that could pay him as much as the Pegulas. This is unlikely given the way he was forced out of town here as head coach but most if not all of those people are gone now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/30/wade-phillips-could-become-a-coaching-free-agent-soon/

Wade Phillips just built arguably one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL. If he makes it to market there is no team that could pay him as much as the Pegulas. This is unlikely given the way he was forced out of town here as head coach but most if not all of those people are gone now.

I seriously doubt he'd come back as a coordinator. HC, maybe. Just maybe.......

Is Flutie available, though?

Lynn as HC and de facto OC?

Wade as DC and Assistant HC?

That might work. The Pegulas could spend enough to make it happen. I doubt if Wade has any grudges against the city and Ralph is gone.

Boom! They can get Lynn for cheap, possibly lowest paid HC in the NFL. Throw the rest of the money at Wade and make him assistant HC with option to become HC if Lynn doesn't work out. Wade has had a lot of success vs Brady and just won the super bowl, doesn't really get any better than that

Has any coach in the history of the NFL ever gone back to a team they were fired from? Why do we continue to bring up past coaches names?

Seems like this happens sometimes.

For example, Wade Phillips, former head coach of Denver, and now their offensive coordinator. (Assuming he was fired when he was the head coach there?)

Wow. That would be a hell of a hire. Wade would lend a certain gravitas to Lynn's staff.

All this talk of going to a 4-3 which I agree would suit our defensive line talent.

Can anyone name one true 4-3 outside linebacker on out roster? Or a 4-3 middle linebacker for that matter?

One of the Browns? Ha.

Maybe Ragland.

Has any coach in the history of the NFL ever gone back to a team they were fired from? Why do we continue to bring up past coaches names?

Not sure if he was fired or left on his own, but Lou Sabah coached the Bills 1962-65 and again 1972-76.

That was Ralph, this is The Pegs. It is a different team.And Wade is still connected to the area. Doesn't he still own a house here?

Yes...Wade Phillips, :doh: DC of the Broncos in the late '80s, HC for two years after that, and DC again now.

I don't think he's leaving Denver's DC position any time soon, though. With the talent on that defense, he's in hog heaven.

Wow. That would be a hell of a hire. Wade would lend a certain gravitas to Lynn's staff.

All this talk of going to a 4-3 which I agree would suit our defensive line talent.

Can anyone name one true 4-3 outside linebacker on out roster? Or a 4-3 middle linebacker for that matter?

One of the Browns? Ha.

Maybe Ragland.

I would absolutely take him as DC.....I just dont see how its possible

So if he's a that good, unless his contract is up this year, why would Denver let him go to another team in a lateral move?

how long ago was that?

Granted it was 5 years ago but he's still coaching. It's pretty obvious the players want to go back to a 4-3. You're not getting Phillips or Schwartz unless it"s as a HC. Fewell has the experience, got himself a ring and did so by shutting down the Pats when they were putting up record numbers on offense.

In baseball it's happened quite a few times, most notably Billy Martin.

In football, probably most recent case is Art Shell and the Raiders. Fired in 1989, rehired in 2006.

Much like Coughlin wanting to be coach and not the GM, I doubt Phillips wants to be a head coach. I think Elway has an ego and thinks everyone can be replaced besides him so it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips get a better deal elsewhere.

Edited by dpberr