Here's my thought on Lynn being the HC for one game

Rooney Rule - plan and simple. I'm beginning to think Lynn will get the interview for HC but the Bills have someone in mind and possibly have him ready to ink a deal.

Could it be Coughlin? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not really a DW fan anymore but I don't believe he's stupid enough to retool the team with a HC that has 1 game ever under his belt as a HC.

Rooney Rule - plan and simple. I'm beginning to think Lynn will get the interview for HC but the Bills have someone in mind and possibly have him ready to ink a deal.

I'm not really a DW fan anymore but I don't believe he's stupid enough to retool the team with a HC that has 1 game ever under his belt as a HC.

But he is stupid enough to roll the dice on potentally wrecking this offense like the last coach did with the defense by bringing in a new coach that may want to make this offense its own.

The offense is scoring good without a franchise QB.

Keep Lynn and offense coaches especially Kromer has done well with OL

If Lynn is ok with a simple style 4-3 that's less stress then all new coaches coming in and starting over.

Just keep the contract at 3 years to see if he can do it.

Maybe, or maybe not. Coughlin &'Whaley could butt heads before the ink dry's on the contract. I think he would want a bit of control. That's why Lynn if offered would take the gig. Bite the bullet and follow Whaley's lead. Just to get his foot in the NFL HC ranks.

In other words being a yes man for the sake of HC experience.

It's one thing if you don't think Whaley will hire Lynn because of his lack of experience or whatever. But to write him off as a token "Rooney Rule" candidate is disrespectful and pretty offensive, frankly.

I would never take McDaniels. It's easy to be a successful offensive coordinator when you have a hall of fame quarterback. I would would love them to get Matt Patricia. He is one smart dude and has been working under Belacheet for some time now and understands what it takes to win football games.

I would never take McDaniels. It's easy to be a successful offensive coordinator when you have a hall of fame quarterback. I would would love them to get Matt Patricia. He is one smart dude and has been working under Belacheet for some time now and understands what it takes to win football games.

How can you say that about McDaniels but think Patricia "understands what it takes to win football games"?

Even if we pretend that Patricia not Belichick is the brains behind their defense - Patricia doesn't even need to have a good defense because the Pats' O is so good year after year.

Both are likely just riding on Bradichick's coat tails.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

How can you say that about McDaniels but think Patricia "understands what it takes to win football games"?

Even if we pretend that Patricia not Belichick is the brains behind their defense - Patricia doesn't even need to have a good defense because the Pats' O is so good year after year.

Both are likely just riding on Bradichick's coat tails.

Except that since Patricia became DC in 2012, the Pats have had a very good D. Rex claimed it, but except for 2011, the Pats have actually had a top-10 D on points since 2006

Patricia is an interesting guy. First off, Belichick is a little different from some HCs with expertise on one side of the ball. He delegates. So his OC and DC are real. Several Pats and former Pats players have commented on how they would hardly see Belichick during the week. That said, he clearly oversees every aspect of the Pats.

Second, Patricia actually started on O! He was an OLman in college, and started with the Pats as an offensive assistant in 2004. He switched to LB coach in 2006 and became defensive playcaller in 2009 and DC in 2012. So he's a real product of the Patriots system, but he knows both sides of the ball. He clearly wants to be a HC since he interviewed for the Browns job last year.

The tight, long-time association of Patricia with the Pats is both a positive and a question mark. He ought to understand every aspect of how their organization works. That's good. The downside is, how much of that organization can he implement on his own? It's easy to think you know everything about how a system works, but when you're trying to replicate a system on your own, sometimes you learn you don't know as much about the critical underpinnings as you think you do. The other possible "gotcha" is when a guy has only worked in one system, sometimes he only knows one way to get things done and can't easily distinguish between things that are essential to success and things that actually could be done several other ways. How flexible is he?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

If Lynn had accomplished what he accomplished here with another team, fans would be viewing him as top candidate for the HC job.

He has 17 years of experience on an NFL sideline, coaching for guys like Shanahan, Parcells, Del Rio and Rex Ryan. He was a former player, so he can relate to his players and for what we saw this year, they responded to his coaching. He took something that wasn't his (Roman's offense) and made it work, he simplified it and adapted on the fly.

Just because he was with us for two years doesn't mean he is the wrong choice for the job.

Anthony Lynn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn

As player: As coach:

Anthony Lynn has worked under 5 Head Coaches:

I agree with you No interest in McDaniels, Patricia is where I would go. He has experience on both sides of the ball and defense has been consistently good. He is being properly groomed to be a HC make him ours before its another 18 yrs of Patriots leading the division

Except that since Patricia became DC in 2012, the Pats have had a very good D. Rex claimed it, but except for 2011, the Pats have actually had a top-10 D on points since 2006

Patricia is an interesting guy. First off, Belichick is a little different from some HCs with expertise on one side of the ball. He delegates. So his OC and DC are real. Several Pats and former Pats players have commented on how they would hardly see Belichick during the week. That said, he clearly oversees every aspect of the Pats.

Second, Patricia actually started on O! He was an OLman in college, and started with the Pats as an offensive assistant in 2004. He switched to LB coach in 2006 and became defensive playcaller in 2009 and DC in 2012. So he's a real product of the Patriots system, but he knows both sides of the ball. He clearly wants to be a HC since he interviewed for the Browns job last year.

The tight, long-time association of Patricia with the Pats is both a positive and a question mark. He ought to understand every aspect of how their organization works. That's good. The downside is, how much of that organization can he implement on his own? It's easy to think you know everything about how a system works, but when you're trying to replicate a system on your own, sometimes you learn you don't know as much about the critical underpinnings as you think you do. The other possible "gotcha" is when a guy has only worked in one system, sometimes he only knows one way to get things done and can't easily distinguish between things that are essential to success and things that actually could be done several other ways. How flexible is he?

Pats defenses before Patricia:

2007 - #2 score percentage / #11 DVOA

2008 - #9 score percentage / #17 DVOA

2009 - #3 score percentage / #14 DVOA

2010 - #12 score percentage / #21 DVOA

2011 - #16 score percentage / #30 DVOA

Under Patricia:

2012 - #8 score percentage / #15 DVOA

2013 - #7 score percentage / #20 DVOA

2014 - #13 score percentage / #12 DVOA

2015 - #6 score percentage / #12 DVOA

2016 - #1 score percentage / #16 DVOA

I don't have much to add to this except I find it incredible how good the Patriots are at keeping the opposition out of the end zone. Year after year. Only once (2014) in the last ten years have the Pats' defense not overachieved with regard to score prevention. Both before and after Patricia. It's really amazing. And proof that while they won't be as consistently dominant after Brady retires, as long as Belichick is there they'll still contend for the playoffs every year.

But he is stupid enough to roll the dice on potentally wrecking this offense like the last coach did with the defense by bringing in a new coach that may want to make this offense its own.

How, exactly, would one ruin an offense that was the best in the league at running the ball and 2nd to last in passing the ball?

Anthony Lynn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn

As player:

As coach:

Anthony Lynn has worked under 5 Head Coaches:

That's a solid resume for sure. So solid, that he is sure to have other teams interested in him. Given the general state of the Bills organization, Lynn may very well choose to go elsewhere. Even if the Bills want him as their HC, Lynn might want nothing more to do with the Bills.

Edited by Jkgobills

If Lynn had accomplished what he accomplished here with another team, fans would be viewing him as top candidate for the HC job.

He has 17 years of experience on an NFL sideline, coaching for guys like Shanahan, Parcells, Del Rio and Rex Ryan. He was a former player, so he can relate to his players and for what we saw this year, they responded to his coaching. He took something that wasn't his (Roman's offense) and made it work, he simplified it and adapted on the fly.

Just because he was with us for two years doesn't mean he is the wrong choice for the job.

If they can keep Lynn focused on the Offense the first season and bring in a decent DC i am all for Lynn.

Perhaps he will quickly grow into a Head Coach after one season of getting acclimated

It's one thing if you don't think Whaley will hire Lynn because of his lack of experience or whatever. But to write him off as a token "Rooney Rule" candidate is disrespectful and pretty offensive, frankly.

Sorry if you see it as "disrespectful" but if the Coughlin rumors are true then that stupid Rooney rule is fulfilled and the Bills wont get punished like the Lions did so many years ago when hired Mariucci without going through the steps.

Sorry if you see it as "disrespectful" but if the Coughlin rumors are true then that stupid Rooney rule is fulfilled and the Bills wont get punished like the Lions did so many years ago when hired Mariucci without going through the steps.

There are more reports that Lynn will be promoted than there are Coughlin will be hired.

How, exactly, would one ruin an offense that was the best in the league at running the ball and 2nd to last in passing the ball?

By dumping your running QB maybe?

Anyway I doubt there is much that can be gleaned from this Jets game going forward. The Jets are even worse than the Browns right now. At least Cleveland tries to win. The season couldn't end fast enough for the Jets. I would not mind a Bills loss. (Except for hemming and hawing about losing to the Jets that will absolutely happen!)

By dumping your running QB maybe?

Anyway I doubt there is much that can be gleaned from this Jets game going forward. The Jets are even worse than the Browns right now. At least Cleveland tries to win. The season couldn't end fast enough for the Jets. I would not mind a Bills loss. (Except for hemming and hawing about losing to the Jets that will absolutely happen!)

If the Bills lose, Bring Back Fergy owes me wings.

I'll be rooting for the Bills to win, of course. But a loss means a little better draft pick and free wings, so I won't be crying, either.

More interested to see how Dennis Thurman calls the defense. If he can eliminate the stupid errors and dumb penalties will be a step in the right direction. Want to see how hard the defense plays with Thurman now in charge.

Why? Who cares how Thurman does?

If he does amazing, I still don't want him.

He can the Rooney Rule apply to a team when a black man is hiring the head coach?

Ha! But seriously, it's because the main purpose of the Rooney Rule wasn't to address "racist GMs", it was about getting other people a chance to break into the "good ol boy network" which made up the coaching circle.

One thing is if Lynn has been paying attention to what's been going on around him for the last few years he should know what doesn't work !

I'm up in the air about the next HC but I would like to see Kyle Shanahan given the chance to have a HC ing job if he could do what he's done in ATL here that could be huge .

Plus he is a football brat if you would thats all he's known his entire life, which is the same pretty much with Lynn .

A tough decision one way or the other Whaley is either going to be the best GM or a piece of S**T GM there will be no in between on the decision he makes !!

Seems like it will be Lynn. If it is not, and Whaley pushes EJ (assuming he is re-signed) and/or Jones as next year's starting QB and taking into account the issues Whaley has had with the last two head coaches, not sure how strong the interest will be in our HC position by Coughlin, Shanahan or the NE coordinators.

I really really think that Whaley intends to build the team in the Steelers mold. If you also believe that, then the next coach is likely to be no older than the 40s, an up and comer with great coordination skills. Someone who Whaley can work with to ensure long term success. Also look for the team to again draft a QB in the BenR mold (EJ was similar in the measureables but little else).

No on McDaniels. He blew up the offense in Denver and set them back a couple years, he didn't do St Louis Rams any favors as their OC. Just cuz a guy looks great in NE coaching Tom Brady doesn't mean he can coach.

Not to mention Belichick's disciples have a pretty sh#tty record once they get promoted out of New England.

A. Lynn is smart and young. I'm sold. He could be our coach for 20 years.

I really really think that Whaley intends to build the team in the Steelers mold. If you also believe that, then the next coach is likely to be no older than the 40s, an up and comer with great coordination skills. Someone who Whaley can work with to ensure long term success. Also look for the team to again draft a QB in the BenR mold (EJ was similar in the measureables but little else).

For the love of Pete, THIS.

Pittsburgh is the very model of how a franchise should be run. One family has owned them forever. Four coaches in 50 years. Consistently good, and six rings to show for it.

Edited by jimmy10