Would demoting Rex to DC work?

boater

Just curious, from an intellectual point of view. I'm not suggesting it be done, nor ruling it out.

Obstacles:

• Rex probably signed a Head Coach contract, not a more flexible personal services, or generic coach contract
  • Egos of all involved: Rex, The Pegs, Whaley etc. would interfere
  • Rex contract may allow him to double-dip incomes, ex: get his Bills HC pay, while appearing at NBC or whomever... and Rex may want to do this

Possible enablers:

• Rex might like the idea. He always seemed outside his comfort zone and enjoyment level as HC. Many many fired HCs have reappeared as very successful DC or OC.
  • He would earn HC money as a DC
  • Rex appears to be the kind of guy who could set aside his ego and work hard to makes this work. At the end of the day, he seems like X and O's devotee.

Demote Rex, Promote Lynn, Hire new OC. Have Coughlin provide consulting services.

Please be easy on the replies guys. I'm asking a theoretical--because I've never seen this done. I'm not in Mom's basement with an NFL Stratego Board, Cheetohs and Red Bull.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, from an intellectual point of view. I'm not suggesting it be done, nor ruling it out.

Obstacles:

• Rex probably signed a Head Coach contract, not a more flexible personal services, or generic coach contract
  • Rex contract may allow him to double-dip incomes, ex: get his Bills HC pay, while appearing at NBC or whomever... and Rex may want to do this

Possible enablers:

• Rex might like the idea. He always seemed outside his comfort zone and enjoyment level as HC. Many many fired HCs have reappeared as very successful DC or OC.
  • Rex appears to be the kind of guy who could set aside his ego and work hard to makes this work. At the end of the day, he seems like X and O's devotee.

Demote Rex, Promote Lynn, Hire new OC. Have Coughlin provide consulting services.

Please be easy on the replies guys. I'm asking a theoretical--because I've never seen this done. I'm not in Mom's basement with an NFL Stratego Board, Cheetohs and Red Bull.

Noooooooooo!!!!!

That general situation of a HC taking a demotion to coordinator of the same team is incredibly rare. The only example I can think of is Fickel at tOSU stepping back after one season for Meyer - and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that was all planned. Then there's the question of why you'd even want it to happen. Zero chance, thankfully.

Obstacles:

Possible enablers:

Have you seen his defense the last two years already.