Would demoting Rex to DC work?

boater

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a real DC the understands how to best use players abilities instead of ramming some outdated system down their throats. I like Rex and really wanted him to be the guy that gets Buffalo to the playoffs but on the Defensive side, the team has not improved anywhere, in-fact seems to have regressed across the board.

Go Bills!!!!!

Does anyone know how many penalties the Dolphins ended up with? They got away with a lot of PI & Holding all game long.

How about A-Lynn as OC (remaining) & Bill Cowher as HC with a new OC staff? Just a thought.

We need a real DC the understands how to best use players abilities instead of ramming some outdated system down their throats. I like Rex and really wanted him to be the guy that gets Buffalo to the playoffs but on the Defensive side, the team has not improved anywhere, in-fact seems to have regressed across the board.

Go Bills!!!!!

Does anyone know how many penalties the Dolphins ended up with? They got away with a lot of PI & Holding all game long.

How about A-Lynn as OC (remaining) & Bill Cowher as HC with a new OC staff? Just a thought.

Nope dont like that staff either.

Another outdated coach. Go into college ranks or get a GOOD Coordinator. As HC

Edited by MAJBobby

A-Lynn has this offense putting up points and a good HC like Cowher would keep him in check and not get too cute with some of the play calls.

Cowher has said his first choice of OC is Chan Gailey - he may be available.

Go Bills!!!!!

STOP JUST STOP with the Cowher crap

And what has Lynn done replicate Roman and do exactly the same and not F up Romans offense.

Fine Hire Roman

Edited by MAJBobby

Since this is his defense and it's been so good all season, I say "yes."

It's not like bringing in Dave Wannestadt with some antiquated defensive scheme that worked ages ago with completely different people.

Oh ... wait .... yes it is.

Just curious, from an intellectual point of view. I'm not suggesting it be done, nor ruling it out.

Obstacles:

• Rex probably signed a Head Coach contract, not a more flexible personal services, or generic coach contract
  • Egos of all involved: Rex, The Pegs, Whaley etc. would interfere
  • Rex contract may allow him to double-dip incomes, ex: get his Bills HC pay, while appearing at NBC or whomever... and Rex may want to do this

Possible enablers:

• Rex might like the idea. He always seemed outside his comfort zone and enjoyment level as HC. Many many fired HCs have reappeared as very successful DC or OC.
  • He would earn HC money as a DC
  • Rex appears to be the kind of guy who could set aside his ego and work hard to makes this work. At the end of the day, he seems like X and O's devotee.

Demote Rex, Promote Lynn, Hire new OC. Have Coughlin provide consulting services.

Please be easy on the replies guys. I'm asking a theoretical--because I've never seen this done. I'm not in Mom's basement with an NFL Stratego Board, Cheetohs and Red Bull.

Rex has not done well with the defense though. So I wouldn't want him near it. What if they gave Rex the option of staying IF he hires a DC and allows him to run the D however he sees fit? Rex would never take a demotion.

Edited by purple haze

Just curious, from an intellectual point of view. I'm not suggesting it be done, nor ruling it out.

Obstacles:

• Rex probably signed a Head Coach contract, not a more flexible personal services, or generic coach contract
  • Egos of all involved: Rex, The Pegs, Whaley etc. would interfere
  • Rex contract may allow him to double-dip incomes, ex: get his Bills HC pay, while appearing at NBC or whomever... and Rex may want to do this

Possible enablers:

• Rex might like the idea. He always seemed outside his comfort zone and enjoyment level as HC. Many many fired HCs have reappeared as very successful DC or OC.
  • He would earn HC money as a DC
  • Rex appears to be the kind of guy who could set aside his ego and work hard to makes this work. At the end of the day, he seems like X and O's devotee.

Demote Rex, Promote Lynn, Hire new OC. Have Coughlin provide consulting services.

Please be easy on the replies guys. I'm asking a theoretical--because I've never seen this done. I'm not in Mom's basement with an NFL Stratego Board, Cheetohs and Red Bull.

Let's remember, this is Rex's defense that isn't working. If we want to fire Rex because the defense has been horrible, it wouldn't make sense to keep him to coordinate the defense. If we don't have confidence in Rex as head coach to fix the defense, what would actually improve with him in solely in charge of the defense? Because he will have more time to focus? This was his baby all the way, so a change in title would do nothing to help.