PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we round out this senior staff with Gunther Cunningham as D.C and Tom Moore as OC?

We could even bring Marv back.

I'd rather see him in as a senior VP of football operations, directly advising the Pegulas. Kick Russ out and put Coughlin in.

Marv was 71 when he left the team, Coughlin is now 70. He is an ideal candidate to change the culture of the team, but he's too old to shoulder the day-to-day duties of being a HC.

If there's any truth the Pegulas talking with Coughlin, maybe it's more along these lines.

If I had to bet now, I think they keep Rex and hire Coughlin into another role. I do think he's coming aboard. I'm not convinced they are firing Rex yet, though.

So who is feeding PFW the "insider" info that the Pegulas are sick of Rex's dog and pony show? My money is on Russ...he looks like the kid that used to tap you on the shoulder and say "Hey, go give that kid a wedgie"

His track record speaks for itself. My only concern with ANY new coach is that it's been shown to take 3 years to get the personnel to run the kind of team the new coach(es) want to run. That would make 2 decades and running of no payoffs..

Jim Harbaugh led the 49ers to the NFC Championship game in his first year as head coach.

i would be so pissed if this happens. he's too old, i am sorry, he will be retired in a few years and we are back at square one. I want one more year for Rex to prove himself(I think 2 years is ridiculously short), if after year 3 we are no better off(which I honestly think we are right now) then we cut bait. But HELL NO to an old re-tread.

Coughlin HC, Bradley DC, keep Lynn for OC?

I wonder if they could get Lynn to stay on the proviso of being the likely successor to Coughlin when he wants to retire or take on an executive position.

For all the HC talk around Lynn, he's only called plays in 14 games by season's end. I think the jump to HC now would be premature. With 2-3 years experience as OC, working under a respected HC like Coughlin, might serve him better for the long term.

His track record speaks for itself. My only concern with ANY new coach is that it's been shown to take 3 years to get the personnel to run the kind of team the new coach(es) want to run. That would make 2 decades and running of no payoffs..

That's simply not factual

I wonder if they could get Lynn to stay on the proviso of being the likely successor to Coughlin when he wants to retire or take on an executive position.

For all the HC talk around Lynn, he's only called plays in 14 games by season's end. I think the jump to HC now would be premature. With 2-3 years experience as OC, working under a respected HC like Coughlin, might serve him better for the long term.

Not to mention RE: Lynn, we and the rest of the league have never actually seen what his offense is. No idea on philosophy (though his background suggests a ground based attack), route combinations, nothing.

It's hard to argue against Coughlin except for his age, which is not a minor thing, but who am I to say he can't do it?? I would hope he'd know well enough. Also, while I don't think he's innovative or Offensive minded the way I'd like, his history of getting players to be better disciplined is a real positive after years of such issues like penalties and stupid game moves by players, not to mention poor game management....all the things the last couple of Bills' HCs have struggled with....so, if it's him, I'd remain a little skeptical but at least I'd try to see the upside.