PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

Hiring Coughlin would do much to clean up the mess that has manifested itself with this franchise these last few years. Yesterday's press conference was a disaster- the Bills are viewed, and justifiably so, as being a joke. Marrone's exodus; the hiring of carnival side show Rex; Mario Williams' act; drafting Lawson (claiming he's healthy, only to have him go under the knife after 1 practice); Rob Ryan; "we won the offseason"; the Roman firing; the Rex firing; the Lynn cringe-inducing presser; benching Tyrod- it all could be erased by hiring a reputable coach the likes of Coughlin.

Well said!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They definitely ask.

BuffNewsReporter: "Hey, Doug, what do you think of Anthony Lynn as a potential HC candidate?"

Doug Whaley: "I'm really excited about him."

BuffNewsReporter, turning to other BuffNewsReporter: "What is he talking about? He's not excited about him."

I just need some clarity. First you said you were excited to have Rex as your coach, but now you're saying you're excited to have Anthony Lynn? So were you excited about Anthony Lynn first? Have you always been excited about Anthony Lynn> Or did you decide to feel excitement while Rex was still here? I guess I'm just not following. Can you help me understand?

It's funny that someone actually can report that Whaley "isn't excited" about Lynn. Where do reporters get knowledge of what Whaley is thinking?

If this is true, it is interesting.

I could think of reasons whey DW would not want AL and reasons why AL may want to move on. At this point, who knows.

If one is to believe DW from his presser yesterday, it would seem he has very little actual say in anything other than pro personnel and the college draft. If that is the reality and not just him attempting to dodge his responsibility for the the Rex situation, then there would be no need for Coughlin to fire him if Coughlin were hired. He would not be a threat as a decision maker. Coughlin would report to Terry and Kim and DW would work with him on finding what they need. Unless, of course, Coughlin has his own draft/personnel guy he wants. Frankly, after how it turned out in NY for him, I can't suspect Coughlin has a ready made personnel guy in waiting. George Young ain't walking through that door any time soon.

@KyleBeachkyle21 Lynn is in the lead, but Whaley is not excited about him. Coughlin is a fav of the Pegulas. Reich is actually a possibility

Why do I get the feeling Whaley is going to push his buddy Teryl Austin big time?

Not that I necessarily have a problem with it...Just feel it's the most likely scenario... B-)

It wasn't his choice because there was no need to ask, not that he wouldn't have chosen him. It was obvious to everyone who knew anything about the Bills coaches that he would be the choice. They are not going to choose Dennis Thurman.

LMAO I forgot about Thurman. This is very true though, or Danny Crossman either...

Why do I get the feeling Whaley is going to push his buddy Teryl Austin big time?

Interviewed him last year. But last year it's been said Whaley wanted Hue Jackson. Who knows...

Not that I necessarily have a problem with it...Just feel it's the most likely scenario... B-)

Didn't Whaley say yesterday that they were looking for someone to be the Bills head coach fr the next 10-15 years? So Caughlin is going to coach until he is 81-86?

Maybe you make an exception for the guy who walks in the interview flashing 2 SB rings over your division rival you've beat only a few times over the lady 20 years?

yes he did. I like Coughlin as a consultant but not a HC so I was happy to hear that.

What exactly do you imagine a consultant does? Advise on who to scout? Who to draft? Who to hire as HC? What vets to retain and how much to pay them? Determine the 53? Determine the 46? What else is there? And if your "consultant" is doing all that, the proper name for him is General Manager.

He's been right a lot. So it's interesting that several of his responses to La Canfora are "False. Again." and "Absolutely not."

https://twitter.com/jchenelly/status/815926193778282496

https://twitter.com/jchenelly/status/815657561219338240

It does not take rocket science for someone to realize that La Conjecture tweets are false; or maybe it does since many of him are lining up to be his disciple.

He's been right a lot. So it's interesting that several of his responses to La Canfora are "False. Again." and "Absolutely not."

https://twitter.com/jchenelly/status/815926193778282496

https://twitter.com/jchenelly/status/815657561219338240

I saw a tweet out there today saying Whaley doesn't plan to interview Coughlin so Joe could be just as wrong here.

May be. Or may be you don't since he's only coached one 10-win season since 2009.

This.

Wasn't it one of the Pittsburgh Steelers who told his teammates "you better take those SB rings off and put them on the shelf, they won't help us this year".

I saw a tweet out there today saying Whaley doesn't plan to interview Coughlin so Joe could be just as wrong here.

No, Chenelly is saying Coughlin is a favorite of the Pegulas, not that Whaley plans to interview him.

If Whaley has been truly placed in charge of the search, he isn't obliged to interview Pegula's favorites; he just has to be able to justify his choices according to some criteria the Pegulas will buy into.