Rex was told he's being dismissed

The Big Cat

I just don't see how it can be set in stone at this point.

If the Bills somehow manage to finish 9-7 they're going to fire a HC after two years who has a winning record for an organization that hasn't had such a thing since Wade Phillips coached almost 2 decades ago?

I don't even like Rex and I'm disappointed as hell in the D he managed to destroy but the record is the record and firing a coach with a winning record after just two years seems ridiculous.

If I were a highly regarded HCing prospect I'd stay way the hell away from Buffalo if that happened. They're supposed to come in, change systems and somehow get the Bills to the playoffs - without a legit NFL starting QB - and if they don't achieve this in 2 seasons they're done even if they have a winning record? Who would take that job?

He loses another game and I can see how they can sell it but it still might be a bit much considering the team hasn't had back to back non losing seasons from a single coach since before the turn of the millennium.

Lose two more and all bets are off, that's an easy sell with regression in each of the past two years but unless that happens this is all pretty sketchy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I was thinking. And even if the owners are that clueless, Rex would never do it. He would be gone. This is total BS.

Let's think about this, if he leaves on his own he gives up the garuanteed $. He's not the brightness coach but he ain't stupid. If he was told this, he's gonna keep his pie hole shut about the conversation and take the $ and head to the Golden Corral buffet with Rob (who's stealing $ from the Bills too).

Edited by Dopey

Here's the way I might play it - if the Bills win the next 2 games in the same fashion that they beat the Browns, then Rex gets to stay. If we lose either of the next 2 games, then Rex gets sent packing. I was ready to shove Rex off after the Pittsburg game but after cooling off a bit and looking at the some of the alternatives, I am willing to give him another chance if and only IF we win these next 2 games in convincing manner.

He destroyed the D... Did a declining Mario Williams play any part in that? How about the out of shape and disinterested Mr. Big Puff? What about oft injured AWil missing the majority of two seasons and seemingly no one else in the secondary speaks the same language as the others?

Sure some of this is on Rex and he has been more bluster than anything else but to say he destroyed the defense is misleading. JS ran a simple, aggressive scheme that allowed the front 4 to eat. That same front 4 is not as formidable as it was in 14, revert back to that same scheme and the results wouldn't be as good.

There is zero chance he was told he is fired and allowed to coach three more games. Unless the owners think they are running a lemonade stand.

It is possible however. They don't have to worry about him quitting or he would forfeit all the rest of his guaranteed contract money.

But, it does seem unlikely simply because what is the upside for the Bills telling him now?

Maybe the players on D are not as good as everyone thinks they are?

Kyle is a solid DL.

Hughes can be disruptive at times.

When Dareus wants to show up he can be great at DT.

I see superstar type talent at DT (Dareus) and 1 good DE (Hughes) and 1 good DT (Kyle).

Everyone else on D is average at best in terms of talent. Many are not bad (Gillmore for example) but they are not stars in the making with another DC.

Mario has done next to nothing in Miami either, BTW.

Bills fans over-rate this defensive roster. It is not that good.

1 selling tickets

2 getting production out of nobodys like alexander, zach brown

And those two fellas "produced" a bad defense.

Kyle is a solid DL.

I see superstar type talent at DT (Dareus) and 1 good DE (Hughes) and 1 good DT (Kyle).

Everyone else on D is average at best in terms of talent. Many are not bad (Gillmore for example) but they are not stars in the making with another DC.

Who put this defensive roster together then?

And those two fellas "produced" a bad defense.

Who put this defensive roster together then?

Hahaha right. Lets blame the guy with 10 sacks and the guy that led the league in tackles and not the ancor of the defense for getting suspended and not the gm for nobody behind aaron williams

Hahaha right. Lets blame the guy with 10 sacks and the guy that led the league in tackles and not the ancor of the defense for getting suspended and not the gm for nobody behind aaron williams

Whaley signed both of those dudes. I prefer to blame the coach who runs a safety predicated system when he only has 1 decent safety whose head is falling off.

Why does this NOT make sense?

New Points:

1) To make this move, the Pegulas would be going against what I perceive to be their nature. They do not seem to be the kind of people/owners that would make such a move given their Sabres and business history.

2) If the Pegulas were to make this move, they would essentially be saying that they made such a terrific mistake that they needed to pull the plug on a head coach even though he has been on the job for less than two years and his record is about as good as anyone we have had in the past 17 years. [NOTE: I like Rex and do not believe the Pegulas made a mistake by hiring him].

3) If Doug Whaley is attempting to make people believe that he was not all in on hiring Rex, the Pegulas would know whether this is true or not.

• If Doug Whaley or someone in his department is trying to throw Rex under the bus (either through leaks or directly with the Pegulas), I think that this could blow on in his face.
  • My belief is that Doug Whaley was all in on Rex and Rex would not have been hired without him supporting the hire.
  • The Pegulas will remember that Whaley supported the hire (or at least did not voice any objection etc.).
  • If that is the case, I have a hard time believing that the Pegulas would fire Rex and keep Whaley if, in fact, they think that someone needs to go for football reasons.be and trying to the revisionist history

Exisitng Points (no less applicable):

1) The guy has about as successful a record as any coach we have had over the past 17 years (even with the depth of injuries, suspensions, QB play)

2) Not even two years yet.

3) The impact that this would have on any good coaching candidates who would look at the job as substandard given that the current HC was not really given a chance.

Edited by Peter

I just don't see how it can be set in stone at this point.

If the Bills somehow manage to finish 9-7 they're going to fire a HC after two years who has a winning record for an organization that hasn't had such a thing since Wade Phillips coached almost 2 decades ago?

I don't even like Rex and I'm disappointed as hell in the D he managed to destroy but the record is the record and firing a coach with a winning record after just two years seems ridiculous.

If I were a highly regarded HCing prospect I'd stay way the hell away from Buffalo if that happened. They're supposed to come in, change systems and somehow get the Bills to the playoffs - without a legit NFL starting QB - and if they don't achieve this in 2 seasons they're done even if they have a winning record? Who would take that job?

He loses another game and I can see how they can sell it but it still might be a bit much considering the team hasn't had back to back non losing seasons from a single coach since before the turn of the millennium.

Lose two more and all bets are off, that's an easy sell with regression in each of the past two years but unless that happens this is all pretty sketchy.

So it turns out Tyrod ISNT the franchise qb but we're firing Rex because he didn't make the playoffs with a 32nd ranked passer and half the season with Goodwin as the #1 wr and our #1 and #2 draft picks essentially missing the season?

Ok.

All of this. Bills fans need to step back from the ledge.

Right now many people are advocating the Bills fire a coach that could have a winning record after 2 years. For the Bills. I know hyperbole gets thrown around like he is terrible and the worst coach but it simply isn't true. All I read about was regression from 9-7 under Marrone, now in the second year of doing things his way he potentially will get them back there and fans want to blow it up?!?!?! So a new coach can come in and we have to start out with a new system and scheme and the team gets set back again.

Rex isn't responsible for 17 years of no playoffs! He is responsible for 1 and most likely 2. If they finish 7-9 fine fire him. People are letting other factors influence their thought process. The 17 year drought has many antsy and others just don't like Rex from his time in NY or his personality (blowhard).

ScottLaw I'm calling you out personally too. Your prediction for the Bills record was 6-10 before the year. So even though the team exceeded your own expectations, amid all the injuries and suspensions, the coach should be terminated?

Most record predictions before the year were 8-8 to 10-6. The Bills are finishing right where we all expected them to and the coach should be fired?!?!?!?

Kyle is a solid DL.

So Dareus, Kyle Williams, Hughes, Mario Williams, Gilmore, Darby, all regress under the Rex Ryan Defense.

Is it all of these players are bad, or is it Rex Ryan plays a style that makes them look bad.

In Rex's 8 years as a HC His defense has ranked in points allowed:

09 - 1

10 - 6

11 - 20

12 - 20

13 - 19

14 - 24

15 - 15

16 - 14

So Dareus, Kyle Williams, Hughes, Mario Williams, Gilmore, Darby, all regress under the Rex Ryan Defense.

Is it all of these players are bad, or is it Rex Ryan plays a style that makes them look bad.

09 - 1

10 - 6

11 - 20

12 - 20

13 - 19

14 - 24

15 - 15

16 - 14

Dareus - how many games has he missed in the past two years because of suspension or injury?

Williams - how many games has he missed in the past two years because of injury?

Mario - how is he doing this year playing in the scheme that he believes was made for him?

Gilmore - he had a good year last year and has had some good games and bad games this year. Look what he did (or did not do against the Jets) - it had nothing to do with scheme and everything to do with not making plays.

Darby - he also had a terrific year last year in Rex's scheme. See Gilmore above re this year.

09 - 1

10 - 6

11 - 20

12 - 20

13 - 19

14 - 24

15 - 15

16 - 14

Sheesh I disagree with so much in this post...

Kyle Williams - how was he regressed?

Dareus - is the suspension and following injury Rex's fault? He had an off year last year I will absolutely agree with that but perhaps it had more to do with him getting his money?

Mario Williams - see this year. Rex didn't cause the regression. Mario got old fast.

Gillmore - has been lights out for the last bunch of games and played excellent last year. How did he regress?

Darby - He has only ever played for Rex so how has regressed? If it is Rex's fault for this year wouldn't he credit for last year? Perhaps losing Donnie Henderson could be a cause here?

Points allowed - 2011 through 2014 he coached some NYJ teams with terrible talent. Starting in 11 the defense got old quick and then the GM was switched. The new GM was horrible and fired after 2 years.

Now with the Bills he has the Bills right in the middle of the pack which doesn't help your point that he doesn't know what he is doing. It looks like they are average not terrible.

My original prediction was 7-9 based on what looked like a tough schedule before the season and Rex back for a third year.

I expected the offense to take a step back a bit while the defense improving a bit.

I was wrong. The schedule was cake, but we got our asses handed to us by every winning team on the schedule in every aspect and our defense regressed even more.

For the 2nd year in a row the team will miss out on the playoffs when they could've easily made it because the defensive coaching and overall leadership has sucked.

So the team already has the same number of wins after 14 games that you predicted for 16 games.

Interesting.

Sheesh I disagree with so much in this post...

Kyle Williams - how was he regressed?

Dareus - is the suspension and following injury Rex's fault? He had an off year last year I will absolutely agree with that but perhaps it had more to do with him getting his money?

Mario Williams - see this year. Rex didn't cause the regression. Mario got old fast.

Gillmore - has been lights out for the last bunch of games and played excellent last year. How did he regress?

Darby - He has only ever played for Rex so how has regressed? If it is Rex's fault for this year wouldn't he credit for last year? Perhaps losing Donnie Henderson could be a cause here?

Points allowed - 2011 through 2014 he coached some NYJ teams with terrible talent. Starting in 11 the defense got old quick and then the GM was switched. The new GM was horrible and fired after 2 years.

Now with the Bills he has the Bills right in the middle of the pack which doesn't help your point that he doesn't know what he is doing. It looks like they are average not terrible.

Well when you are promised a great defense and he Creates a pile of garbage. Average is a massive disappointment. I could only imagine what it would look like if they had to play Tom Brady 2x instead of an injured Jacoby Brissett.

My original prediction was 7-9 based on what looked like a tough schedule before the season and Rex back for a third year.

I expected the offense to take a step back a bit while the defense improving a bit.

I was wrong. The schedule was cake, but we got our asses handed to us by every winning team on the schedule in every aspect and our defense regressed even more.

For the 2nd year in a row the team will miss out on the playoffs when they could've easily made it because the defensive coaching and overall leadership has sucked.

So again the Bills exceeded your expectations and you're not happy?

The defense improved slightly with 2 games to go and the offense is doing better in some categories (ppg, rushing ypg) and regressed in some (passing ypg, ypg). So in line with your expectations but Rex should have done better?

Currently the Bills have the 10th hardest schedule based on this year so far. So you are wrong about the cake schedule. In fact only 3 teams with harder strength of schedule have a better record the the Bills.

Well when you are promised a great defense and he Creates a pile of garbage. Average is a massive disappointment. I could only imagine what it would look like if they had to play Tom Brady 2x instead of an injured Jacoby Brissett.

A pile of garbage isn't average though. It certainly hasn't been as good as we all hoped. However I don't think any of us expected the offense to score as many points as they have or the running game to be THAT good. If we are going to punish Rex for his failings can he get some credit for the things that are working? Who knows what would happen if they played Brady twice. We can play that game all day long.

What if Kyle Williams doesn't miss the Pitt game? Does Bell go as crazy as he did? What if Dareus didn't get suspended? Do they win the Jets or Ravens game? What if he then doesn't tweak a hammy? What if Aaron Williams or the 5 other safeties don't get hurt and miss time? What if their 1st and 2nd round picks could have contributed all year instead of getting a half a season total from the 2?

So again the Bills exceeded your expectations and you're not happy?

The defense improved slightly with 2 games to go and the offense is doing better in some categories (ppg, rushing ypg) and regressed in some (passing ypg, ypg). So in line with your expectations but Rex should have done better?

Currently the Bills have the 10th hardest schedule based on this year so far. So you are wrong about the cake schedule. In fact only 3 teams with harder strength of schedule have a better record the the Bills.

A pile of garbage isn't average though. It certainly hasn't been as good as we all hoped. However I don't think any of us expected the offense to score as many points as they have or the running game to be THAT good. If we are going to punish Rex for his failings can he get some credit for the things that are working? Who knows what would happen if they played Brady twice. We can play that game all day long.

What if Kyle Williams doesn't miss the Pitt game? Does Bell go as crazy as he did? What if Dareus didn't get suspended? Do they win the Jets or Ravens game? What if he then doesn't tweak a hammy? What if Aaron Williams or the 5 other safeties don't get hurt and miss time? What if their 1st and 2nd round picks could have contributed all year instead of getting a half a season total from the 2?

When the defense faced just a competent offense they folded.

The Bills played some awful, awful teams this year. Hence their average rating. yet they are still on the outside looking in because they couldn't beat one team above them in the standings, ONE!

Happy that they are mediocre?

No I'm not. Way too many fans seem to be though.

What if the Bills weren't the only team in the league that went through injuries and suspensions?

Lol if the Bills played Brady twice they'd be 6-8. Let's not kid ourselves here.

I don't need stats to tell me the defense gets its doors blown off whenever it plays a decent offense/QB.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rex got another year if the team finishes 9-7. It will just prolong the inevitable next year, but hey it sounds like some fans want this so I guess they get what they deserve.

Let's try this again...

By your own admission the Bills are doing better than you thought they would. Therefore doesn't that mean that Rex is doing a better job than you thought possible? You must be one miserable sob if doing better than you expect still isn't good enough...

By the same token that every team deals with injuries, every team deals with suspensions. If Dareus doesn't get suspended for 4 games do the Bills still lose to Baltimore or the Jets? Brady almost definitely beats the Bills as his track record shows. Dareus helps the defense as his track record shows. Maybe the Jets don't hang 37 and the Bills win so we are in the same boat record wise. For every negative hypothetical you can come up with I can come up with a positive one. Hypotheticals are pointless as is guessing what would happen if this or that player played. Currently the Bills are on track to do better than you thought they could. You can admit to being wrong any time now :nana:

Let's try this again...

By your own admission the Bills are doing better than you thought they would. Therefore doesn't that mean that Rex is doing a better job than you thought possible? You must be one miserable sob if doing better than you expect still isn't good enough...

By the same token that every team deals with injuries, every team deals with suspensions. If Dareus doesn't get suspended for 4 games do the Bills still lose to Baltimore or the Jets? Brady almost definitely beats the Bills as his track record shows. Dareus helps the defense as his track record shows. Maybe the Jets don't hang 37 and the Bills win so we are in the same boat record wise. For every negative hypothetical you can come up with I can come up with a positive one. Hypotheticals are pointless as is guessing what would happen if this or that player played. Currently the Bills are on track to do better than you thought they could. You can admit to being wrong any time now :nana:

So this team is in the driver seat to make the playoffs because according to Rex I needed to get Ready because "Were going"

Rex promised a lot and delivered virtually none.

I would just like to revisit the expectations of the team the year we brought in Matt Cassel

They were

Dominating defense

A qb that didnt lose the game for you.....game manager

what we have is

A very VERY average defense

A offense that is 9th in the league in scoring points

Should Rex stay based on that?

I would just like to revisit the expectations of the team the year we brought in Matt Cassel

They were

Dominating defense

what we have is

No.

Whaley signed both of those dudes. I prefer to blame the coach who runs a safety predicated system when he only has 1 decent safety whose head is falling off.

Thats fair, whats not fair is to ignore the production he got out of mario williams spot this year. Something people were all over rex for last year. The guy can coach. There is evidence. The safety position, yea rex deserves some blame there but so does the gm. I blame dareus more than anyone for this defenses performance this year. His suspension derailed everything.

When the defense faced just a competent offense they folded.

The Bills played some awful, awful teams this year. Hence their average rating. yet they are still on the outside looking in because they couldn't beat one team above them in the standings, ONE!

Every team plays these average and crappy teams!!! Do the Ravens or Steelers get knocked for getting to play the Bengals and Browns twice?

I will agree that the Bills have played 3 terrible teams (49ers, Browns, Jags) but looking at records they have only lost to 1 team with a losing record so they are losing to the teams that they should and beating the teams they should. Again all in line with expectations or maybe you had the Bills beating the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks, or Raiders. Personally I had them beating the Ravens out of that group and that is it. So 1 game didn't go as I expected it, I can't get too upset about that. They lost to the Jets too which is the only other game this year they lost that I didn't pick. They also beat the Bengals and Cards which I didn't expect. So they are just about where I expected them to be. Playing to expectations, to me at least, isn't cause to blow the whole thing up.

Thats fair, whats not fair is to ignore the production he got out of mario williams spot this year. Something people were all over rex for last year. The guy can coach. There is evidence. The safety position, yea rex deserves some blame there but so does the gm. I blame dareus more than anyone for this defenses performance this year. His suspension derailed everything.

the two games the defense came up the smallest, Oak and Pitt, Dareus was in mid season form. We just suck on that side of the ball.

They were

Dominating defense

what we have is

For all of the injuries and suspensions and overnight aging people need to move on from 2014. This defense has exactly 4 players from that team currently starting on defense. Of those 4 (Hughes, Dareus, K Williams, and Gillmore) Dareus and K Williams missed significant time over the last 2 years. 2014 happened but this isn't the same players as then.

I get that Rex is a defensive coach but he has taken more of the CEO role this year. I wouldn't be mad or upset to move on from Thurman even though it is Rex's defense. As we have seen with Lynn sometimes a change at Coordinator can spark a positive outcome. Again he can't get knocked for the defense and not get credit for the offense. I don't care what his "forte" is.

the two games the defense came up the smallest, Oak and Pitt, Dareus was in mid season form. We just suck on that side of the ball.

I know having the defense get torched by the 6th and 7 ranked offense proves the Bills suck. They are 7-7 they don't suck they are average. Dareus was indeed in mid-season form for both of those games but K Williams missed the Pitt game. I won't argue the defense is great but they aren't as terrible as it seems people think they are.

And had dareus been around for the baltimore, jets or miami game things might be a little different right now. Maybe not but he is the one who chose to skip his test and put himself before the team. You cant put that on rex.

It's better then I expected because after watching the Bills last season under Rex I expected them to **** the bed again. Which they have. They are still average.

What is so hard to understand? They are better then what I expected by a game or two, I should be happy about that? Lol. Why? They are still mediocre and Rexs defense is still a disappointment. Yay!

:doh:

@BillsFanaticsBF

Sources say, players are getting together to push ownership to shut rumors down and make sure Rex Ryan is here next year. #BFInsiders

Yep, Russ Brandon's false flag operation is working. Spread the rumor that Rex is on thin ice in order to motivate the players to win the next two games. They'll play harder if they believe two more wins will allow them to continue playing for Ryan next year, rather than having to endure Camp Coughlin. Brilliant! Of course, Rex is in on all this. You can see it in his face, he's a terrible actor.

;)

For all of the injuries and suspensions and overnight aging people need to move on from 2014. This defense has exactly 4 players from that team currently starting on defense. Of those 4 (Hughes, Dareus, K Williams, and Gillmore) Dareus and K Williams missed significant time over the last 2 years. 2014 happened but this isn't the same players as then.

I get that Rex is a defensive coach but he has taken more of the CEO role this year. I wouldn't be mad or upset to move on from Thurman even though it is Rex's defense. As we have seen with Lynn sometimes a change at Coordinator can spark a positive outcome. Again he can't get knocked for the defense and not get credit for the offense. I don't care what his "forte" is.

I know having the defense get torched by the 6th and 7 ranked offense proves the Bills suck. They are 7-7 they don't suck they are average. Dareus was indeed in mid-season form for both of those games but K Williams missed the Pitt game. I won't argue the defense is great but they aren't as terrible as it seems people think they are.

Preston Brown? Corey Graham? What?

The offense is almost irrelevant to this discussion.

Rex earned his dismissal because his schemes on defense have not worked, and he hasn't adjusted them to the realities of the modern NFL where you don't get to practice much and you have constant churning of the roster due to injuries and the salary cap. And on top of that, he doesn't have his players prepared enough on gameday. The poor communication we saw last year continues to plague this defense. Guys running on the field late, yelling at each other, lined up wrong, IT'S STILL HAPPENING. That's on Rex and it's inexcusable.