Shaq Lawson - let's do this

Dragonborn10

I never saw him as a 3-4 OLB either. When Rex gets fired hopefully we can bring in a 4-3 dc. Perfect fit there. Hughes-adolphus-Marcel-shaq is a very olid DL going forward. Preston-reggie-Zach at LB. Add 2 safeties and a CB and we're good to go.....as long as the DC doesn't suck.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I compare him to Cameron Jordan from the Saints. Jordan started slow his rookie year to make a jump in his second year.

With no training camp and going into his 9th game as a pro I can't say I'm disappointed with him, in fact, he has shown some flashes that he could become a solid player. time will tell.

I'm not hesitant to call Lawson what he is: a bust

:lol:

I saw this coming a mile away. When Lawson was put on the shelf for half the season, missing his rookie training camp I wondered has anybody ever missed significant time in their rookie season, including their rookie camp, and played well when they came back that year? I'm sure it's happened, but it's the outlier, not the norm.

I then wondered how long it would take someone to call him a "bust" before he was ever really given a fair shake. Apparently that's 5 games.

Who knows how the guy will pan out, perhaps he will end up being a bust but to call him that now is hilarious.

He's a rookie who missed all of training camp and practice and didn't see an NFL field or practice until late October. Good grief.

Pretty much this. He's slow for sure, but he gets a pass.

Given our team needs, I'm not sure this was the pick we needed, and it certainly didn't help us this season. We really could have used an impact player in the 1st round of the draft.

Since when is a 4.7 forty for a 270 lb. DE considered slow? He had the fastest time for his position group at the combine. I get that it's in shorts, but his athletic measurables were all upper tier.

Put him at DE, let him learn one position, and he can start playing more instinctively.

Since when is a 4.7 forty for a 270 lb. DE considered slow? He had the fastest time for his position group at the combine. I get that it's in shorts, but his athletic measurables were all upper tier.

Put him at DE, let him learn one position, and he can start playing more instinctively.

Have you watched him try to change direction?

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/7302/

Have you watched him try to change direction?

He lacks flexibility as I've said. And yet his 4.21 20 yard shuttle suggests he has good change of direction.

I'm not going to debate the merits of Shaq Lawson as an NFL player until he has a bigger body of work to evaluate. I'm simply pointing out that he has demonstrated high end athletic skills and there is something there to,work with.

We should ask the first OL taken in this year's draft if he thinks Lawson has athleticism.

He was selected to be an OLB in this scheme which was a very shaky plan from the outset.

He is too straight-linish and slow off the ball to use in that capacity. The tales of his handwork are great but you gotta use your arms to take advantage of your hands and he's a leaner that likes to put his shoulder into OT's which makes him easier to block.

You are correct, he is a DE.........possibly even a DT.

And 3-4 DE's don't need to be addressed in round 1. As a DT he might not even be fast enough off the ball to be that good working on guards.

As for his future in a 4-3......I think he can be a 5+ sack guy as a base DE.

He will probably fall between Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram in terms of potential........that's not really good enough, IMO. That's not far enough north of JAG for a mid-first round pick.

He was selected to be an OLB in this scheme which was a very shaky plan from the outset.

He is too straight-linish and slow off the ball to use in that capacity. The tales of his handwork are great but you gotta use your arms to take advantage of your hands and he's a leaner that likes to put his shoulder into OT's which makes him easier to block.

You are correct, he is a DE.........possibly even a DT.

And 3-4 DE's don't need to be addressed in round 1. As a DT he might not even be fast enough off the ball to be that good working on guards.

As for his future in a 4-3......I think he can be a 5+ sack guy as a base DE.

He will probably fall between Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram in terms of potential........that's not really good enough, IMO. That's not far enough north of JAG for a mid-first round pick.

He is playing out of position at OLB. That simple. Ironically, it is his athletic measurables that convinced some that he could play there effectively.

It was a shoulder not a knee. He shouldn't be fat. He should have been trimmed down if anything.

I agree though. A full year in a professional off-season should do him well. As long as he doesn't follow the Diet by Karlos method.

I had a tear in my shoulder. Running isnt possible for a while. Neither is jumping. Bicycle can only do so much.

I think people are being a little too critical of the guy, he's only been playing for a little over a month now. Give the guy some time to find his way. He hasn't been the best but he hasn't been horrible either. In limited action he's had 12 tkls and 2 sacks with a FF.

Shaq Lawson appears overweight, slow to react, hesitant, underwhelming power, stiff/rigid, doesn't bend or dip, & is a liability when pursuing to the edge.

His midsection is doughy, and his quickness laterally is comprised by a "clod-hopper" gait.

Really need to go back and look at the tape......I remember plays where he was just marching his man right back into the QB

He's a rookie that had no training camp and has had almost no time to get in any meaningful technique work...he is learning as he goes...I don't think he has played bad at all, he is in the backfield a few times a game...not bad for the snaps he is playing

Yup. It's not his fault he was drafted so high. I've said it over and over again, 19 was way too high for a guy with his injury.

I will reserve judgement until next year

Me too. He should be mostly be on the left side of the DL because he's not a speed rusher. Too many here expected him to be Mario2. He's a totally different kind of player. He can set the edge and he can some sacks too. But those sacks won't be blowing by a quality LT though. They should be working through a RT and TE.

Yup. It's not his fault he was drafted so high. I've said it over and over again, 19 was way too high for a guy with his injury.

Me too. He should be mostly be on the left side of the DL because he's not a speed rusher. Too many here expected him to be Mario2. He's a totally different kind of player. He can set the edge and he can some sacks too. But those sacks won't be blowing by a quality LT though. They should be working through a RT and TE.

Are you expecting it to impair him for the rest of his career even after corrective surgery? If not, then I don't see how that adds up.