Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

Hearing Cowher bantered about just makes me laugh. This will be the 6th coaching search where the fanbase wants him and some actually think he'll consider coming out of retirement to coach the Bills. It is not happening my friends and I for one don't want a coach that's been out of the game a decade taking the reigns.

Yeah i dont get it either, especially when he's stated over and over he wants a proven QB.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still are on the Cowher train? Dude hasn't coached in a decade. He'd be very Rex like and doesn't have Dick LeBeau to carry his team.

Get a young guy with an offensive mind and a veteran NFL DC.

Doesn't matter who you try and get to coach if you don't have a franchise qb no veteran coach is going to take the job.

Rex took the Jets as far as you can take a team (AFC title game twice) with a so-so qb.

But he mustve forgot how to coach so we need to fire him and replace him with a coach that can also tackle running backs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18277690/nfl-2016-adam-schefter-chris-mortensen-week-15-notebook-leveon-bell-future-pittsburgh-steelers

there it is.

Says Whaley most likely staying. I'm for a full house cleaning and Whaley has been nothing more than underwhelming here. But if he can find the right coach/QB than by all means go for it.

What an awful hire this was. We were right on the verge of becoming a quality team, Rex legit set this team back 3+ years.

It's all Orton's fault

Really hope this is true. Rex is good guy and probably a blast to hang out with but he hasn't had a good team since the first two seasons of the Jets.

I'm hoping for Schwartz/ Romo (Dak better not screw up and get pulled)

We actually do. Period. Whaley composed the list of coaches he considered for the job, and gave that to Pegs. Rex was on the list. Rex got hired. Whaley and him were "finishing each other's sentences." Maybe now, Doug and his fanbase are trying to convince the world he hated the Rex hire secretly, but that sure wasn't the case 2 years ago.

He didn't provide a list of coaches that anyone can verify. After the hire, yes he said good things. Would you expect something different?

I'm not saying I know he did or didn't want him. I'm saying you definitely don't either.

There it isn't - it just says that the "belief" around the league is that Ryan will be canned. The Pegulas are very close to the vest and I don't think this report really moves the needle - we still don't know.

Hey man, it said in NFL circles, geez dude! :D

Yikes. On paper Whaley has done some decent things. Three coaches in how many seasons? That is not great. Even if he wasn't a major part of the Gailey and Marrone process. Gailey was more Nix and Brandon and Marrone was joint Nix, Brandon and Whaley

I'm sorry, but FO cleaning should commence. Let Terry finally pick his guys and build a quality foundation finally for this team.

I don't trust Pegs either, he needs to tab Wolfe or Polian to do a proper search.

Buffalo is so dysfunctional that Marrone quit to work in a lower position on a worse team. He had the Bills on the brink of respectability and jackass Rex throws us back in the hole. I put that on Whaley and Brandon and for that I feel we clean house and they all go.

They definitely didn't do a good job in trying to keep him that is for sure. At that time it was like oh BTW Marone has an out clause but nothing's going happen with that. Then we all get a TXT saying he is out and then we are all shocked and then pissed! I liked Marone at the time because he was a hard nosed coach and didn't let the inmates run the asylum. I really think Orton leaving put him over the edge because he knew he would get canned with EJ.

Traded a fourth for Bryce Brown. Gave away two fourths to move up to pick Ragland, who would probably have been available at the Bills' slot anyway.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cowher on Whaley

Former Steelers head coach and current CBS NFL commentator Bill Cowher worked with Bills new GM Doug Whaley for the better part of a decade in the Pittsburgh organization. He was anything but surprised that Whaley has risen to the GM ranks in the NFL.

“Doug Whaley to me has “paid his dues.” He has done his job professionally and with high-quality,” said Cowher. “I know from working with him in Pittsburgh he is a guy who put due diligence towards every opportunity and task he was given. He has a wealth of knowledge, a good feel for people and a good eye for talent.

“I think when you talk about people that earn the opportunity to advance and earn the opportunity to have more responsibility that Doug is a guy who has proven along the way at every step that he can equal the challenge and then surpass it. It does not surprise me that he has been named General Manager.”

Sounds like two men who have the ability to work well together with the same mentality and get along. I truly believe that when Ryan is fired Cowher will be one of the targets Pegula goes after. I for one am all for it. The guy can coach. It will be a breath of fresh air for this city and franchise, regardless of how long he's been out.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/bill-cowher/

That was a long time ago Bill, just stay in the studio.

We still are on the Cowher train? Dude hasn't coached in a decade. He'd be very Rex like and doesn't have Dick LeBeau to carry his team.

Get a young guy with an offensive mind and a veteran NFL DC.

Agree on the general concept, but not sure who they would be. Marrone fit the bill, but he was arrogant and inflexible. We need coaches that take the players we already have and design the system to fit them. Not force the team to rebuild to fit their system. No more disruptive rebuilds, just tweaks to the roster to get it right.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cowher come in as some type of oversight position. I think Whaley overall has done more good than bad, but sometimes overvalues and could use someone to sound things over with before pulling the trigger.

Why, what is this obsession with Cowher? Didn't his teams lose 3 AFC Championships at home?

"Widespread belief in league circles"? Jeez.

Why, what is this obsession with Cowher? Didn't his teams lose 3 AFC Championships at home?

... without a real QB.

He did that with Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell.

Then he got Roethlisberger and look what happened. Cowher was a terrific coach.

Schefter seems more reliable than most but has any one paid attention to how accurate his reports are?

He sure pumped up Marrone's name a lot when St. Doug was looking for new HC opportunities, but I'm sure it had nothing to with the fact that they share an agent.

"Widespread belief in league circles"? Jeez.

... without a real QB.

He did that with Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell.

Then he got Roethlisberger and look what happened. Cowher was a terrific coach.

Yeah, but the key word there is "was", imo, he has been out of the coaching loop too long, it's a totally different game now, I think it's passed him by, kinda like it's passed Rex by.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18277690/nfl-2016-adam-schefter-chris-mortensen-week-15-notebook-leveon-bell-future-pittsburgh-steelers

there it is.

Says Whaley most likely staying. I'm for a full house cleaning and Whaley has been nothing more than underwhelming here. But if he can find the right coach/QB than by all means go for it.

What an awful hire this was. We were right on the verge of becoming a quality team, Rex legit set this team back 3+ years.

Also, reports that Marrone is the favorite to be the next head coach...

I'll believe it when it happens. I think the Bills will win these next three games and Ryan will return. That's my prediction.

He didn't provide a list of coaches that anyone can verify. After the hire, yes he said good things. Would you expect something different?

I'm not saying I know he did or didn't want him. I'm saying you definitely don't either.

I'm oretty sure the Peguls verified the "Whaley made a list" story, I'm link hunting.

There's a difference between saying good things and effusive praise. Whaley talked about Rex the same way he gushed about EJ, the QB he picked. That's not just towing the company line, IMO

Bills' fans need to stop with this streak. No player or coach gives a crap about the years that happened before they were a part of the team.

Depends on what options that coach or player has.A coach with two viable opportunities will most definitely compare and contrast. A player would do the same.

because once we get him, we can all yell, "cowher power!" when the d stops them on third and short. russ, the marketing genius that he is, might even get them to flash it on the jumbotron to pump up the crowd!

Amazing how many people swallowed the bait of The headline by the #1 troll here.

First, Peter posted the relevant quote, which seemed to go ignored.

Not even DCTom's admonishment seemed to sink in.

Folks, Shefter DID NOT report Ryan will be fired. He mentioned the rumor. I know many of us WANT him gone, but this is not confirmation.