CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

What if Rex goes 9-7?

How does this team, which hasn't made the playoffs in the modern NFL era, justify firing a HC with an overall winning record here?

I'm troubled that someone in the organization apparently felt the need to leak these rumors right before a huge home game that the team had to have.

Seems there are big problems in the front office that have not been resolved.

Well, if the rumors made it to the players it sure didn't appear they were battling to save their HC. Did you see the effort from the Giants last night on D? Without their best pass rusher? That team was flat out garbage on D last year. The lack of want -to from the Bills defense was astounding.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was stating that he'd have a winning record if we finish 9-7 this year

Well in that situation fine but 17-15 and only 2 of those wins came against teams with winning records (was looking at the wrong season when I first commented). Texans (9-7) and Jets (10-6) last year, none this year.

Edited by The Wiz

I like TT a lot and I don't want to see this happen but if you're going to inactivate him for 3 games for fear of getting injured and you know you're not picking up the option, wouldn't you just straight out cut him a la Glove Wearing Mary? He could get hurt in practice or in the shower.

Great observation, yes cut him TODAY.

Well in that situation fine but 17-15 and only 2 of those wins came against teams with winning records (was looking at the wrong season when I first commented). Texans (9-7) and Jets (10-6) last year, none this year.

Ok, well people need to define winning record...as we beat other teams that were at least .500 or had a winning record at the time of victory. Things change over the course of a season (injuries, etc) that change the course of the teams after we play them. So if you are going to tout his ability to beat teams with winning records, it needs to a statement based on their record at the time of the game.

For instance, we beat the Cardinals who were 1-1 and had just crushed their week 2 game and were considered a big SB contender at the time. We also beat NE who just shutout the Texans with the same QB the week before we played them. We also beat Jets twice last year, both with winning records. We also beat the Rams who were 3-1 when we played.

So to be accurate, Rex has 6 wins against teams with a .500 or better record at the time of the game (and 5 of them were above .500 with AZ being 1-1 going into week 3).

Ok, well people need to define winning record...as we beat other teams that were at least .500 or had a winning record at the time of victory. Things change over the course of a season (injuries, etc) that change the course of the teams after we play them. So if you are going to tout his ability to beat teams with winning records, it needs to a statement based on their record at the time of the game.

For instance, we beat the Cardinals who were 1-1 and had just crushed their week 2 game and were considered a big SB contender at the time. We also beat NE who just shutout the Texans with the same QB the week before we played them. We also beat Jets twice last year, both with winning records. We also beat the Rams who were 3-1 when we played.

So to be accurate, Rex has 6 wins against teams with a .500 or better record at the time of the game (and 5 of them were above .500 with AZ being 1-1 going into week 3).

Nah, no one does that.

I think you defined it for yourself. Winning record means you have won more than you lost, not the same amount. I'd be more inclined to count the cards game over the NE game (based on your weekly record method). I did only count the Jet's once from last season so you got me there.

Or instead of winning record or .500, how about playoff teams. Would that be a better way to define a good coach/team? How many teams did he beat that made the playoffs that season or the season prior? Granted I'm sure most head coaches would look pretty bad based on that model as well.

Edited by The Wiz

Lets be clear, I am not leading the "Keep Rex" campaign. By no means am I trying to sway opinion on him, everyone has their opinion. That being said, I am just in the camp that doesn't see Rex as big of a problem as he gets painted to be. A large portion of the anti Rex crowd was anti Rex before he got here and when he got hired before he coached one play. There is no denying he faced a bigger challenge of approval around here having come from the Jets where many people already didn't like him. So, whether people want to agree or not, my opinion is that he gets exponentially more blame for things because there is already a big anti Rex crowd from day 1.

By no means has Rex been perfect and I have lashed out at him for some mistakes the past 2 years just like others. But I also recognize that a lot of what is blamed on him has been out of his control, over exaggerated, and in some cases just flat out wrongly put on him.

My opinion is simple...I dont think he is nearly as bad as some of the over exaggerated negative opinions of him and I dont believe replacing him magically fixes this team. If we do, so be it, I wont fight it by any means.

There is no quick fix to the many problems associated with this team. However, the one way to compensate for a number of weaknesses on a team, offense and defense, is to acquire or develop a competent qb. Because of the cap and the frequency of injuries all teams have weaknesses. That is inescapable.

I must admit that I fall in the category of being a vituperative critic of Rex even before he drove up in his specialty painted truck. Putting aside his bluster and irritating obnoxiousness (my biased negative feelings toward him) my main criticism of him relates to his football philosophy and how it no longer translates to the current game. It just doesn't work! Why stick with someone who is so wedded to his system that no amount of tinkering with it through personnel and coaching changes will alter the incompatibility of his defensive system to match up with the offenses of today?

The Bills are in the usual situation that they have found themselves in for a generation i.e. being out of the playoffs. The one advantage of being in this maddening recurring situation is that there is nothing to lose. My recommendation is to give Cardale Jones a try and see how he does. Just maybe it will accelerate the maturation process and give him an incentive to better prepare this offseason?

I'm not saying anything that hasn't often been stated by many others. Until the qb position is significantly upgraded little else will matter. Give Cardale a chance to take some snaps and see what you got. At this point in the season winning or losing doesn't really mean much.

We know what we have with TT and we know what we have with EJ, both genuinely nice people who aren't good enough qbs.

Edited by JohnC

I think you defined it for yourself. Winning record means you have won more than you lost, not the same amount. I'd be more inclined to count the cards game over the NE game (based on your weekly record method). I did only count the Jet's once from last season so you got me there.

Or instead of winning record or .500, how about playoff teams. Would that be a better way to define a good coach/team? How many teams did he beat that made the playoffs that season or the season prior? Granted I'm sure most head coaches would look pretty bad based on that model as well.

That would be a better way to assess it...if you are going to use end of season results, then playoff teams would be a better measure. If you are going to say "teams with winning records" then using the end of the season record is not a fair nor accurate barometer because so many factors come into play that will affect that teams remainder of the season that were not factors at the time they played. Using the term, beat teams with winning records, then the record has to be the record at the time we beat that team to an accurate statement because what ever happens in the future after that game has not happened yet.

Lets be clear, I am not leading the "Keep Rex" campaign. By no means am I trying to sway opinion on him, everyone has their opinion. That being said, I am just in the camp that doesn't see Rex as big of a problem as he gets painted to be. A large portion of the anti Rex crowd was anti Rex before he got here and when he got hired before he coached one play. There is no denying he faced a bigger challenge of approval around here having come from the Jets where many people already didn't like him. So, whether people want to agree or not, my opinion is that he gets exponentially more blame for things because there is already a big anti Rex crowd from day 1.

By no means has Rex been perfect and I have lashed out at him for some mistakes the past 2 years just like others. But I also recognize that a lot of what is blamed on him has been out of his control, over exaggerated, and in some cases just flat out wrongly put on him.

My opinion is simple...I dont think he is nearly as bad as some of the over exaggerated negative opinions of him and I dont believe replacing him magically fixes this team. If we do, so be it, I wont fight it by any means.

In that case you would be incorrect. Rex was hired because he is a defensive-minded coach and the general view was that he would keep our defense near the top of the league and keep us in games with a decent enough offense. Rex's defenses have been terrible. he did not do what he was hired to do. If you purchase a phone and it doesn't make calls but gets internet reception that phone isn't "not as bad as some people think it is", the phone is broken. Rex was hired for defense, his defense sucks, Rex is broken.

There is no quick fix to the many problems associated with this team. However, the one way to compensate for a number of weaknesses on a team, offense and defense, is to acquire or develop a competent qb. Because of the cap and the frequency of injuries all teams have weaknesses. That is inescapable.

I must admit that I fall in the category of being a vituperative critic of Rex even before he drove up in his specialty painted truck. Putting aside his bluster and irritating obnoxiousness (my biased negative feelings toward him) my main criticism of him relates to his football philosophy and how it no longer translates to the current game. It just doesn't work! Why stick with someone who is so wedded to his system that no amount of tinkering with it through personnel and coaching changes will alter the incompatibility of his defensive system to match up with the offenses of today?

The Bills are in the usual situation that they have found themselves in for a generation i.e. being out of the playoffs. The one advantage of being in this maddening recurring situation is that there is nothing to lose. My recommendation is to give Cardale Jones a try and see how he does. Just maybe it will accelerate the maturation process and give him an incentive to better prepare this offseason?

I'm not saying anything that hasn't often been stated by many others. Until the qb position is significantly upgraded little else will matter. Give Cardale a chance to take some snaps and see what you got. At this point in the season winning or losing doesn't really mean much.

We know what we have with TT and we know what we have with EJ, both genuinely nice people who aren't good enough qbs.

I understand where you are coming from, and I think your pre Buffalo stance on Rex definitely magnifies your negative opinion of him, but again, I am not leading the "Keep Rex" campaign either. I just fall into the camp that I think things are grossly over exaggerated around here about him and I dont see him as such a road block as others.

As far as Cardale goes, if this regime truly sees potential in the kid, then putting him out there right now is a logistical mistake to his development. People need to remember, despite his rise to prominence, he couldn't even keep his starting job the next year at Ohio St. This kid was not ready to lead a college team last year, and was very raw coming out. He definitely has potential, but to think he is ready right now when just 12 months ago he wasn't ready to lead in College is a lot to ask. Throwing this kid, who likely isn't ready, to the wolves these last 3 games on a team deflated with an almost certain missed playoff season is very risky to his development. There is no reason to do it other than to appeal to the curious nature of the fans.

If they feel this kid has the potential to be a long term solution for this team, you let him prove that this offseason when he competes under this staff or the next for a job. Give him the reps to properly prepare, I mean this kid isn't even active on gameday, he is no where close to prepared to play. Groom him properly, not foolishly.

In that case you would be incorrect. Rex was hired because he is a defensive-minded coach and the general view was that he would keep our defense near the top of the league and keep us in games with a decent enough offense. Rex's defenses have been terrible. he did not do what he was hired to do. If you purchase a phone and it doesn't make calls but gets internet reception that phone isn't "not as bad as some people think it is", the phone is broken. Rex was hired for defense, his defense sucks, Rex is broken.

Fair enough...but to be equally fair using your example, the old cell phone we had before Rex got good reception but got no internet connection. In other words, its fair to say the D was better the year before Rex, but the offense was way worse. So under Rex these last 2 years, the offense has been much improved than it was before he got here, while the defense has regressed during that time.

That would be a better way to assess it...if you are going to use end of season results, then playoff teams would be a better measure. If you are going to say "teams with winning records" then using the end of the season record is not a fair nor accurate barometer because so many factors come into play that will affect that teams remainder of the season that were not factors at the time they played. Using the term, beat teams with winning records, then the record has to be the record at the time we beat that team to an accurate statement because what ever happens in the future after that game has not happened yet.

In my opinion....8-8 will not be considered a winning season

and

Not being able to hang with teams with winning records should not reflect well with Rex Ryan.....

We deserve better then that

My insider finally paid off. Rex will be fired at end of year. New coach has already been cleared and is in final contract negotiations. This guy is dead serious and already assembling his staff. This guy has been off the radar moving super quietly. He is a big name.

My insider finally paid off. Rex will be fired at end of year. New coach has already been cleared and is in final contract negotiations. This guy is dead serious and already assembling his staff. This guy has been off the radar moving super quietly. He is a big name.

If you are correct i will change my signature line to a tag of your choosing. If this turns out to be a hoax I demand the right to pick yours

Coughlin is the only guy I can think of who might come to Buffalo who is a "big name."

If I even hint about my insider he is done for as my insider. He will never tell me anything again. Watch how the TP and KP disappear real soon from the public eye. Same thing with the GM. Watch how players step up this week. They are terrified about losing their jobs to the new coach... just watch.

Watch how everything will be about the Sabres.... everything. Total misdirection.

Edited by Iraq Vet

He (Coughlin) would be a great addition, don't care about the age. When I hear him talk he sounds energetic, passionate and most of all tough. This team sorely needs a no nonsense approach. Thanks for the info.

END OF THE RYAN COUNTRY !@#$in CLUB!

Edited by The Thurmanator

Here is my one bit of concern over your statement. How can they already have been deep in contract negotiations if, with a win yesterday we would have been in the playoff hunt? Also, what does your source say about the front office? Staying intact?