If Not Rex Then Who ??

T master

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0-16 to 10-6 in 3 years is a huge feat, IMO. Would say he's one of those coaches where overall record doesn't tell the whole story.

So what would you say is the story after the turnaround because he could not sustain it. IIRC, he was known for having undisciplined teams.

The thing that frustrates me the most about Rex is his complete refusal to actually acknowledge failures. Sure, he makes blanket statements about "not getting it done" but he coddles TT like he never makes a mistake and shoulder shrugs when asked questions like why he can't beat anyone with a winning record. This team shows no accountability for it's shortcomings and limps across the finish line in blowout losses without even putting up a fight.

Gary Patterson, David Shaw, Brian Kelly, Chris Peterson, Brett Beliema, PJ Fleck

Whatever else is in the prospectus for the new coach the Bills hire when they finally rid themselves of the atrocious Rex, he should be someone who would wear well for at least ten years, someone who is personally on an even keel, which is why I'd be intrigued by Shaw and Peterson. I don't think Kelly has the temperament for the pros -- he's even a little too wired for college. The other two guys I'm not up on.

If some great HC came out of retirement to coach the Bills, I'd be all in favor of firing Rex.

But should we fire Rex to gamble on another retread with a mixed resume? Or some DC, OC, or college coach who's never been a head coach in the NFL?

I'm not convinced.

Most of the names suggested so far either (1) don't inspire much hope for a better result, or (2) aren't realistic.

What other choices are there?

Football is a brutal contact sport. In order to get the most out of your players they have to have a coach that can convince them to go out be physical. So I would hire Ted Nolan. He always gets the most out of his players. I don't think it matters in the least whether he knows football or not.

Then I would go out and hire two ex-head coach's as the OC and DC. Guys that were great as coordinators but didn't make it as head coaches. A guy like Wade Philips for the D, and at the moment no one in particular for the Offense but I am sure others can come up with some good names. Then I would invert the pay scale by not paying the head coach the most. No offense to Ted but successful coordinators should be payed the most.

You don't put water in your beer, so why would you dilute the ability of a good coordinator by filling him with the duties of a head coach.

Football is a brutal contact sport. In order to get the most out of your players they have to have a coach that can convince them to go out be physical. So I would hire Ted Nolan. He always gets the most out of his players. I don't think it matters in the least whether he knows football or not.

Then I would go out and hire two ex-head coach's as the OC and DC. Guys that were great as coordinators but didn't make it as head coaches. A guy like Wade Philips for the D, and at the moment no one in particular for the Offense but I am sure others can come up with some good names. Then I would invert the pay scale by not paying the head coach the most. No offense to Ted but successful coordinators should be payed the most.

You don't put water in your beer, so why would you dilute the ability of a good coordinator by filling him with the duties of a head coach.

You forgot to use the 'sarcasm' font.