Trump's leadership team

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will run again, and he'll lose again. He's unelectable.

Probably so, but he certainly doesn't understand that yet.

David Shulkin Is Trump's Pick for Veterans Affairs Secretary - The New York Times...

I hope that I am wrong, but this is a really uninspiring choice, he seems like part of the problem

FWIW, Joe Chenelly is favorably impressed with him.

ROGER SIMON: More CEOs, Please — Tillerson Hugely Impressive in Confirmation Hearing.

Democrats Take Aim at Civil Liberties Group F.I.R.E.

In the wake of last year’s election upset, Democratic activists and journalists worried about the rise of authoritarianism under the new administration urged Americans to donate to the ACLU and other organizations devoted to protecting civil liberties against government overreach. But now Senate Democrats are trying to derail a Trump cabinet nominee because she donated to a group that stands up for free speech and due process in an arena where their ideological allies have tried to restrict them. . . .

As a spokesperson for DeVos noted, FIRE does work in a wide range of areas. It protects student free speech rights regardless of the speakers’ political orientation, although because conservatives are a such a small ideological minority on campus, their views tend to be targeted more frequently. And it advocates for sexual assault policies that fairly weigh the interests of both accusers and the accused, rather than simply expelling students after kangaroo court show trials, as many activists demand.

That Democrats are floating this line of attack against DeVos is a testimony to how influential identity-politics fixated campus activists have become even among the party’s moderates. Which, needless to say, is a big reason the party finds itself in opposition in the first place.

You want more Trump? Because this is how you get more Trump.

Edited by B-Man

Senate Passes Waiver to Confirm Mattis as Secretary of Defense

The Senate Armed Services Committee passed a waiver by a vote of 24-3 allowing Gen. James Mattis to serve as President-elect Donald Trump’s Secretary of Defense. Becuase he retired from the Marine Corps in 2013, he needed the waiver to bypass a rule stating an individual must be out of the service for seven years before serving a new appointment.

Only Democrats Kirsten Gillibrand, Richard Blumenthal, and Elizabeth Warren voted against the waiver. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said the committee should pass the legislation “because the U.S. is at war and the Trump administration needs Mattis as quickly as possible.”

(more…)

Go Figure, Jeff Sessions Is Likely to Be Confirmed This Month

It was easily missed, but this more or less wraps up the confirmation for Jeff Sessions to be Attorney General: West Virginia Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin reaffirmed that he will vote for Sessions. Fifty-two Republicans, plus Manchin, means Sessions has 53 votes. Traditionally, senators nominated to the cabinet don’t vote for themselves; they vote “present.” Take away Sessions and the vote looks like 52 in favor, 47 against, one present.

{snip}

Sessions opponents really need four Republicans to oppose his confirmation. So far, no Republican has indicated they will vote against him. When the most high-profile opposition to him comes from the incoherent shouting of Code Pink and the camera-hugging grand-standing of Cory Booker, how do you think most Senate Republicans are going to vote?

There was a small window of opportunity for Sessions foes, but that would have required Senate Democrats to make an argument against the Alabama senator that appealed to the worldview of Senate Republicans. Sessions is a big fan of civil forfeiture, a process that allows law enforcement to take private property that more than a few conservatives contend is widely abused and has become “a cash cow for state and local police and prosecutors.” His support for drug prohibition isn’t by itself a glaring problem, but quite a few Republicans aren’t sure the War on Drugs is working out the way it was supposed to, and Sessions doesn’t appear to have doubted its effectiveness one bit. A lot of conservatives are taking a long look at sentencing reform, wondering if our prisons and jails are just taking the bad and making them worse. Sessions is wary at best about these efforts, fearing they will release violent offenders back on the streets, and he blocked legislative efforts last year.

Had the argument against Sessions focused primarily on those areas, maybe you could have shaken loose a few Republican senators. But hey, Code Pink wants to shout, so… go ahead, guys. Have at it.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/443839/go-figure-jeff-sessions-likely-be-confirmed-month

I am very uncomfortable with civil forfeiture and think it should be severely curtailed. As it stands, it's little more than legalized theft. The dope laws have to be reworked. Maybe it's best that Sessions is out of the legislative arena. He doesn't seem like a guy that would make laws out of whole cloth like some recent AGs have.

WHOEVER PUZDER IS, THEY’RE AGAINST HIM

Demonstrators protesting the nomination of Andy Puzder to be Secretary of Labor apparently didn’t know who Puzder is. So reports Jason Howerton of Independent Journal Review.

In a YouTube video posted by American Rising Squared, an interviewer asks three people who appear to be protesting Puzder’s nomination at a rally in Boston: “Do you guys know who Andy Puzder is?”

One of the respondents shook her head “no.” Another responded, “nah, I don’t know who that is.” The third protester said, “Yes, but I can point you to someone who really knows.”

A protester at an anti-Puzder rally in South Carolina was similarly lacking in knowledge.

We’ve all heard of low-information voters. Meet low-information protesters. The Democrats’ reliance on them is telling.

Apparently, anti-Puzder (whoever he is) protests have been organized in various cities by the “Fight for $15” movement which advocates a national minimum wage increase to that level for fast-food workers. Like Trump, Puzder opposes such a increases.

WHOEVER PUZDER IS, THEYRE AGAINST HIM

Demonstrators protesting the nomination of Andy Puzder to be Secretary of Labor apparently didnt know who Puzder is. So reports Jason Howerton of Independent Journal Review.

In a YouTube video posted by American Rising Squared, an interviewer asks three people who appear to be protesting Puzders nomination at a rally in Boston: Do you guys know who Andy Puzder is?

One of the respondents shook her head no. Another responded, nah, I dont know who that is. The third protester said, Yes, but I can point you to someone who really knows.

A protester at an anti-Puzder rally in South Carolina was similarly lacking in knowledge.

Weve all heard of low-information voters. Meet low-information protesters. The Democrats reliance on them is telling.

Apparently, anti-Puzder (whoever he is) protests have been organized in various cities by the Fight for $15 movement which advocates a national minimum wage increase to that level for fast-food workers. Like Trump, Puzder opposes such a increases.

It's called partisan politics. Anything Trump does or anyone he nominates has to be bad. The right has done this the past 8 years.

Franken’s examination of Senator Sessions in the confirmation hearing showed him to be the unfunny clown whom we have long since come to know in Minnesota. He purported to base his opposition to Sessions on…well, on this: “I do not think he is the best man for the job.” And on the views stated in this poorly constructed run-on sentence: “I cannot vote for an attorney general who is not fully committed to equal justice for the LGBT community, minorities, immigrants and women and Sen. Sessions’ answers failed to reassure me that he will be an attorney general for all Americans.”

These statements are pathetic. To vary a thought from Tina Turner: What’s law got to do with it? Apparently nothing.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/01/whats-law-got-to-do-with-it.php

TO PREVIEW THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY, Look At The Confirmation Hearings For His Cabinet Picks:

Retired General James Mattis, President-elect Donald Trump’s choice for Secretary of Defense, capped a series of head-turning confirmation hearings on Capitol Hill this week.

Early in the week, nominees presented a stark contrast to Senate Democrats. On one side, Americans saw well-prepared, highly dignified appointees appear before elected officials from both parties. On the other side, hostile questioners from the left grilled the nominees, almost reflexively manufacturing attacks on character and asserting gaps in knowledge – which, to a casual observer, seemed nonexistent. Half dozen nominees have been nothing – if not meticulously prepared.

What does this portend for the coming Trump dministration? . . .

What does the solid performance of these appointees, against a shaky backdrop, foretell?

First, these Trump appointees are demonstrating high respect for process and truth, something for which every American should be glad.

Second, we are learning something intangible about the future of this administration. Whether Democrats continue their stubborn resistance and inglorious slide, or choose to arrest it, is really secondary.

Primary is what we are learning about the quality of preparation, patience and temperament of those who will soon lead major departments.

The unspoken message is heartening. The nominees are not newbies. Nor are they misaligned with their assigned missions. They are seasoned professionals. And they are acting that way. They are proving candid and deep, sensible, at times even sage. They know the ropes, their fields, the challenges that lie ahead of them – and respect Congress. Or at least that is the distinct impression they leave.

Collectively, these early appointees have endured dozens of hours of leading questions, transparent attempts (largely unavailing) at character assassination, and attempts to derail their focus.

They have weathered the storm. All the while, Heartland Americans have watched the process, including these spasms of senatorial haughtiness, and wondered: Is there more to this team than we thought? Great depth, more decency, honor and hope?

The tables have somehow begun to turn. Senate Democrats cannot digest reality. Exhaustive witness preparation and performance tells you what lies ahead.

It is funny that we keep hearing that Trump is an impulsive goofball, but it’s the Democrats who can’t seem to restrain themselves.

Liz Warren once vouched for school vouchers.

“Top Trump critic U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren — who’s expected to grill Education Secretary nominee Betsy DeVos tomorrow — once advocated school choice much like the woman she is likely to grandstand against. . . . The Harvard Law professor proposed giving students vouchers to attend any public school they wanted in an attempt to eliminate the current system that often necessitates that students live in a pricey community to attend a good public school. ‘The whole concept of “the Beverly Hills schools” or “Newton schools” would die out,’ she wrote of the vouchers.”

Related: Is Cory Booker Turning Opportunist? If he opposes Betsy Devos, his former ally on school choice, he’ll reveal himself as a garden-variety partisan.

2002: Bush is in office and market crashes. Bush is blamed

2001: Bush is in office and terrorism. Bush is blamed.

1/2008-11/2016: Obama is all things Obama that I won't waste time on specifically saying, but Benghazi, Orlando, IRS, Bailout, etc... Bush, whites, cops, America, Wall street blamed

11/2016: Obama in office and jobs coming back to America and gas prices increase. Trump blamed.

So evident that Obama dindu nuffin

Edited by Boyst62

2002: Bush is in office and market crashes. Bush is blamed

2001: Bush is in office and terrorism. Bush is blamed.

1/2008-11/2016: Obama is all things Obama that I won't waste time on specifically saying, but Benghazi, Orlando, IRS, Bailout, etc... Bush, whites, cops, America, Wall street blamed

11/2016: Obama in office and jobs coming back to America and gas prices increase. Trump blamed.

So evident that Obama dindu nuffin

Obama got blamed for the recession even before he took office

trump got blamed for gas prices before he took office.

Retard.

I like how you sign your post "Retard." Maybe Mr. Retard would be better, lol.

Anyway, Dems will argue that Oil Baron Rex Tillerson is behind the rise in gas prices. I think he is. As soon as he was announced as Sec State nominee, prices started rising. Ripping off America!

Anyway, Dems will argue that Oil Baron Rex Tillerson is behind the rise in gas prices. I think he is. As soon as he was announced as Sec State nominee, prices started rising. Ripping off America!

<3

I love you

Retard

Anyone else notice how gas prices are rising? :lol:

$4 a gallon would be awesome!

Well, here in the cesspool that is PA, the reason our gas is so bloody expensive is another 15 cents worth of tax on a gallon to raise it to 75 cents per gallon.

Yes. Our gas taxes are now higher than pretty much everywhere else. Thanks Tom Wolf, you liberal asshat.

Please explain how you've come to this conclusion.

Well, here in the cesspool that is PA, the reason our gas is so bloody expensive is another 15 cents worth of tax on a gallon to raise it to 75 cents per gallon.

Yes. Our gas taxes are now higher than pretty much everywhere else. Thanks Tom Wolf, you liberal asshat.

Not pretty much. PA has the highest gas tax in the nation.

Don't worry. Once CA finds out it's #5, they'll fix that right away.

I mean, hey, we have a bullet train to pay for.

That didn't take long. And you just had to mention the "Crony Express" didn't you. Make that an 85% increase.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/01/15/gov-brown-wants-42-gasoline-tax-increase-bailout-calpers/

The other day the price in Erie was $2.55-$2.59. At the time NYS price was $2.49. Seneca Nation was $1.75.

Gotta fund those shovel ready jobs for donors.

The other day the price in Erie was $2.55-$2.59. At the time NYS price was $2.49. Seneca Nation was $1.75.

I had a serious WTF moment a couple days before Thanksgiving driving down 12th Street after my Dad picked me up from the Airport. I couldn't believe how much higher it was in Erie, and then he told me the gas tax was going up after New Years.

I had a serious WTF moment a couple days before Thanksgiving driving down 12th Street after my Dad picked me up from the Airport. I couldn't believe how much higher it was in Erie, and then he told me the gas tax was going up after New Years.

I live in Chautauqua County. I used to get gas in PA whenever I could because it was about .25 a gallon less and was pretty much identical with what was on the reservation in Salamanca. I was in Irving last Saturday and gas was $1.75 but $2.19 in Salamanca earlier in the week.