Gilmore needs to go

Hogan was clearly Gilmore's man. OK, I get it. He was supposed to get deep safety "help" from Meeks. So both propositions are correct: (1) Hogan beat Gilmore deep, and it wasn't even close; (2) it might not have mattered if Meeks was where he was supposed to be.

But really ... If Gilmore can't cover the Pats 5th best receiver (Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and now Bennett) one on one, why on earth would anyone consider paying him "shutdown corner" money? I guess I'm glad he was exposed before they inked him to a big deal.

Based on postgame interviews, I don't know if that is the case. Gilmore expected help, but he may have been the one who did not get the call that he had Hogan one on one.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PFF

The 10 worst performances from Sunday's Week 8 NFL action: http://bit.ly/2eTYzQi

CwGttbyWcAAxmv9.jpg
3. Stephon Gilmore, CB, Buffalo Bills

Gilmore hasn’t been anything like the player we saw over the past couple of seasons this year. In the Bills loss to the Patriots he had one of his worst games of a bad season, coughing up 105 yards and a touchdown on just four catches. Tom Brady’s passer rating when throwing at Gilmore was a perfect 158.3, and Gilmore was left trailing in the wake of players who are athletically inferior to him.

The ironic thing is, in saving himself for his next contract, he may be costing himself $$. Yes he'll still get paid handsomely, but perhaps not as much as he could've gotten had he actually applied himself this season.

Anyhow I rarely say that I "hate" a Bills player but I truly despise Gilmore.

I can't believe he thinks he is that good. He says look at the film and that the film doesn't lie. I know this, my eyes don't lie. He has average cover ability and he is the least physical player on the entire defense. He gets pushed around and avoids tackles every week. He won't be a Bill next season. I highly doubt it.

He may have elite level talent whatever that means, but he puts himself before the team

He could have dove to stop Hogan and probably would have kept him out of the endzone. But instead he selfishly slowed up and complained. He's clearly worried about getting injured so he's not engaging in any contact this year.... When he was drafted, his physicality was what put him into first round talent.

This kind of person is not worth paying elite money to. He'll be gone after this year.

Hogan was always better than the Bills thought he was. He outplayed Woods last year but was stuck behind him on the depth chart, and couldn't move up. So the Pats offered the chance to be a starter on a great team and 12 million other reasons. He left with a chip on his shoulder and he joined the Pats with a smile on his face.

Gilmore is a good player. He's not a good enough player for the role Rex wants his corners to fill. Gilmore needs safety help particularly against tall, strong receivers. The problem in the Jets game was no safety help while Rex made sure he could stop the run (which he ended up not doing anyway, Forte got 100 yards) and Fitz having his annual early-season all-pro game, and the Jets big tall strong guys out-jumping Gilmore and the rest of the Bills DBs. After the Jets game, Rex went back to safeties playing safety instead of LB, and things got better. The Bills pass D has been pretty good generally, with Gilmore often the weak link, but Brady. Brady. Yesterday was going to happen regardless.

My real concern is, no good safeties left on the team. Graham is old and slow, Meeks is meek and slow, Duke is exposed now that team know that the Williams in the defensive backfield isn't Aaron. Without safety help the flaws in Gilmore's game will be exposed.

The thing is, it's too early to bail on the Bills season. They have a decent chance against Seattle, to win 10-7 or something, and the schedule gets easier after that. 10-6 is a stretch but still possible. It would be crazy to give up on a season where every other AFC team than NE has serious problems. 9-7 might do it. So don't trade Gilmore. Absolutely don't cut him. Maybe Rex is as smart as he thinks he is, and he can figure out a way to make lemonade out of lemons.

Gronk pushed off, like he always does. It was obvious. He pushed him out of the way, turned, and the ball was there.

This. That play and the one where Hightower tackled TT 10 yards out of the field of play with no penalty called. Seriously, the Pats don't need help.

Hogan TD was Gilmore's fault:

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/793191531888930816

Sal Capaccio @SalSports

Rex basically confirms it was Stephon Gilmore's "big mistake" on the Hogan TD.

But was it him not getting a coverage call? Honestly, I'm asking.

And what about the last time they destroyed us at home? Was that all Gilmore's fault?