Aaron Williams' Neck Injury Could Be Long Term

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not firmly in the Whaley camp (and I'm not firmly against him either). I do think that the Blanton signing was an attempt to mitigate the AW situation. He is a veteran safety with starting experience who was able to fit in under the cap. A solid signing. We also signed the other backup safety from Indy (although I think he was more for special teams and he is now out injured). Blanton has not worked out so far, but let's hope that with full starter's reps that he will improve. Duke and Meeks have been around for several years now and just don't seem to be taking that next step. That said, D'Norris Searcy wasn't very good in his early years and developed into a solid player. We'll see.

Other posts have said that you can't sign an All-Pro to start at every position and you can't sign a quality starter to back up every position. I agree. There's a salary cap, injuries happen and teams get thin at certain positions. Look at the Vikings - they lost their starting QB, their starting (All-Pro) RB and both starting tackles, yet they are still at the top of the league. Our defense was down Dareus, Ragland and Lawson and has performed well in 5 out of 7 games. Injuries and lack of depth are a part of the game. Teams have to adjust and some do better than others.

I'm not sure I am making a single point here other than to say that there's a lot of different things to consider when assessing a situation.

Watching that cheap shot erased any doubt about not letting any of my boys play tackle football. Dude should walk away from the game...while he still can. I would be shocked if he didn't have a disability policy in place so he should be ok financially.

Hockey has a code that if you take out one of ours, we take out one of yours. Draper-Lemieux, Lucic-Miller, etc. Someone on the Bills needs to knock Landry's ass off. That cheap shot was totally unnecessary.

Edited by DDD

I don't get why a fragile Aaron Williams, who was one hit away from ending his career, means so much to this defense? If that was the case they should've went after his replacement in the offseason.

I mean how naive do you have to be to expect this not to happen?

He was at risk. Every player is at risk, but his was higher. The way it happened was disgusting and that shot could gave hurt about anyone.

I don't get why a fragile Aaron Williams, who was one hit away from ending his career, means so much to this defense? If that was the case they should've went after his replacement in the offseason.

??? We started the season with six safeties on the roster.

Not something I wish I was right about, but I called this at the beginning of the year. I had a feeling he would get hurt again and retire. His long term health is more important than any win or loss. Hang up the cleats Aaron. F*ck Jarvis Landry!!!

Wish Aaron a speedy recovery. Whether he plays again is 100% his choice to make. All we can do is hope he makes the right choice. Either way he has to decide on his future. In one direction he has to weigh what is best for his health. On the other he has weigh the idea that he might be sitting on a couch wondering what could have been. Not easy for someone with a competitive spirit just give up.

The only person who can really decide is him. You guys kill me with remarks like he should just hang it up. You aren't the one living through it. Not your call.....his all the way.

Whatever he decides, I can only support it and hope it ends up being the right choice.

So if my math is correct, we now have zero safeties who don't suck. And yes, I include Corey Graham in that group. Even though he sucks just a bit less than the other jobbers.

Would be nice if they re-signed baccari rambo.

What's that you say? He signed with someone? When? This week? Damn. Bad luck. With who? Don't say Miami...don't say Miami...

Just wonderful...

So now Rambo is a better S than Graham??

Emotions running high.....

As has been said a few times on thread, we don't even know the injury, so why are we making retirement plans for him. It seems like most any player would have been on the ground like that, and his preexisting condition, may have nothing to do with it.

I, for one, was glad that you can see he wasn't concussed nor paralyzed immediately. He was definitely in extreme pain, though.

Scott

I cant prove this and its just my opinion....but I think they thought they did that with Robert Blanton

Not every move works out.....2 out of 3 aint bad for Whaley

As Gilmore said, he has numbness in one of his arms. Last years procedure involved shaving the bone of two vertebrae to alleviate pressure it was putting on the nerve(s). So we know the general problem, discs and vertebrae involved and why it's causing a problem. No doubt this sounds like Peyton Manning's neck injury which also caused numbness or loss of touch dexterity. Ultimately Manning underwent three posterior cervical foraminotomy before ultimately going through a vertebrae spinal anterior fusion.

It's my bet Aaron Williams could have the same surgery and continue playing however because he is waiting till the offseason to make a decision he would likely miss 2017, like Manning missed 2011. At 28 years old in 2018 Williams could come back, or he could retire. I'd put retirement at a 75% likelihood.

Edited by Dr.Sack