Aaron Williams' Neck Injury Could Be Long Term

That'll pretty much do it for this season.

As we witnessed Sunday, they got precisely jack squat coming up behind him.

I harped on it last year too: safety remains a need for this team.

They will struggle without him.

And idiots will blame Rex.

Yes, the replacements were simply terrible.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all knew this could happen but to have it happen on such a blatantly dirty play is a major downer. There was no reason for it at all. I'm glad he is healthy and fear for him if he ignores even one scintilla of doctor's advice.

Landry is a piece of dirt. My guess is that he would take the hit back if he could but he can't.....The Bills can't go all Lucic on this and back off. I'm sorry but they can't. If they are going to enforce the pregame sideline rules....which they should....they need to enforce something on Landry. I'm not saying they should try to injure him, but he needs to be hit hard and often and he needs to know it isn't cool to do that. I can't imagine this plays well elsewhere either. Quite frankly I think whoever plays the fish this week should let him know about it.

Edited by 4merper4mer

And idiots will blame Rex.

if your scheme relies heavily on something, and you dont cultivate depth there.... theres something to be said for it being more than just bad luck. Either he will need to have scheme flexibility or he needs to advocate harder at the position (or develop better or...).

there should be dropoff with any starter going out but if losing a safety is a huge deal and its not an ed reed type of player... well, something isnt right.

im still optimistic that it wouldnt be catastrophic, but if it is....

if your scheme relies heavily on something, and you dont cultivate depth there.... theres something to be said for it being more than just bad luck. Either he will need to have scheme flexibility or he needs to advocate harder at the position (or develop better or...).

there should be dropoff with any starter going out but if losing a safety is a huge deal and its not an ed reed type of player... well, something isnt right.

im still optimistic that it wouldnt be catastrophic, but if it is....

i was disappointed they didn't add to safety depth this offseason. i was more disappointed that nobody was brought in to compete for a starting job.

but that's a whaley issue.

i was disappointed they didn't add to safety depth this offseason. i was more disappointed that nobody was brought in to compete for a starting job.

talent and scheme can run both ways. it could be an either issue depending on how the conversations went.

Here's where Aaron has to seriously think about life and health after football. The next hit could have major consequences that's just not worth coming back out on the field for.

Agreed...reminds me of Derrick Burroughs career ending hit against the Oilers. Derrick was wise enough to hang them up...or maybe he could no longer pass a physical because of the discovery of an undersized neck. He's been in coaching in one form or another for several years now.

Right. Because every GM has the resources to provide 44 All Pro's so that the team is redundant at every position. Whaley wasn't busy giving Rex the 9 linebackers and 13 DL he needed to compete or anything.

I think Whaley had some nice finds in the offseason and Rex has had mixed results with them so far. And by mixed I don't mean all bad, there has been a lot of good. It is unrealistic to say that we must be loaded everywhere or the coach bears no blame. It is also unrealistic to assume the coach had no input at all into personnel needs assessment and/or input into guys like Zach Brown, Alexander, Blanton et al. Those results have been mixed too, but mostly good.

I have come around somewhat to your line of thinking that Rex needs more time because I do see progress on the field...albeit in fits and starts. There are signs in 2016 on D that I did not see in 2015. Good for Rex but he still needed a lot of new players to do what he wanted. Cut Whaley as much slack for not providing it all in one year as you cut Rex for not delivering a top notch defense in that time frame.

FWIW I think Whaley should have probably prioritized safety higher given Williams health but I can't speak to what was available after Blanton. If we got something there maybe there is no Brown or Alexander and we're complaining about something else.

I still blame Landry the most.

@JoeBuscaglia

After the Jarvis Landry hit, the #Bills are now concerned that the Aaron Williams neck injury might be long-term: https://t.co/oKpX7uRVDK

Rex: Long term concern for Aaron
Bills safety Aaron Williams did not sustain a concussion in taking that vicious hit from Miami’s Jarvis Landry last week, but he did suffer a neck injury. Knowing Williams had neck fusion surgery this past offseason, head coach Rex Ryan has concerns that his injury could prove to be long term.

Outrageous!

@ProFootballTalk

Just taped an interview with Jarvis Landry (@God_Son80). Jarvis said he did not receive a fine letter for the hit on Bills S Aaron Williams.

Aaaaand here's why you don't count on the NFL to fix this. You fix it yourself, on the field.

I won't encourage AW to retire. It's his choice.

But if he chooses to retire, I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. I find myself wondering on every defensive play if this one is his last NFL play, which does not exactly increase my enjoyment of the game.