Positional Needs For DraftTek - Astro

Astrobot

This is Astro, the guy who writes Astro-Notes from training camp. I'm the Bills' Analyst for DraftTek. I submit weekly team needs to DraftTek, and our computer selects players fitting those needs from our Big Board, which tracks 450 college players.

I need your input for upcoming mocks. These are posted pre-dawn on Thursdays. Here's the way positional needs are right now:

P1 (Can only have one P1 position)===>WR.

We're on fumes here. Goodwin's catch percentage is <35%, Woods is an above average WR and a willing downfield blocker, and Watkins can't show it while riding pine. Powell isn't doing what he's supposed to, Tate's now more of a KR-PR than WR, and Justin Hunter is...tall. I'd prefer a tall WR who gets in and out of breaks quickly. I have a "Multiple" on WR, so the computer may select a second WR if the value is there on Day 3.

P2 (Can have more than one P2, and computer selects the one with least "reach")===> NT, S, OT, OG.

Rex needs a true nose tackle because Dareus CAN play the position well, but he's more of the 3-tech DT in a 4-3 alignment. Right now, he's nothing because he's not in there, and the Bills lost the Fins game because their OL got to our LBs. Aaron Williams may be done, and the next best S on PFF's Premium Stats isn't even in the top 50. Offensive line depth still isn't reliable, although Kujo and Groy look passable enough to drop this to P3.

P3====>TE.

Clay has caught 5 balls in 4 of the last 5 games, but wasn't a factor in the Fins loss. O'Leary, 2-time Mackey Award-winner, is getting into the rhythm of this offense and beginning to produce, but the Bills need a TE who can block and catch equally well. Dray was cut because he signaled run.

P4====>RB, OC, EDGE, CB.

These are typically Day 3 selections, and could be P6's. Bills have a twice-injured McCoy, a washed-up Bush (that didn't sound right), TD Mike (possibly the best of the bunch--he's 4th in YPC in the NFL), and Jon Williams, who may be okay if he holds onto the ball. The Bills tried to find a backup OC but Velasco didn't work. They likely need a big strong smart Center to handle the division's big NT's and 3-techs. Wood is a smart finesse OC but groom his successor now. EDGE is listed on FanSpeak as a need, and they'd have this position as a P3 or even P2. We have guys PLAYING EDGE in Rex's D who elsewhere are OLB34, DE, or 3-tech DT (Lawson, Douzable, Alexander, Washington, McCray). You can help me decide where EDGE goes.

P6====>QB, 3-tech, OLB.

I'm happy with Tyrod for the most part, and EJ's a decent backup. Cardale is still learning but has size, arm strength, better anticipation than either of the others, and a winning history. 3-tech is one of our strengths, but Rex always drafts them. Shaq's being designated as a OLB34 in our scheme, and so is Hughes.

P9====>Speed WR, CB, 5-tech, ILB.

We have Goodwin, Eagan, Listenbee for Speed WR, all with 4.3 speed, so we have the downfield threat sewed up. Whaley likes him some CB and says he'll draft one every year but Darby-Gilmore (with Kevon Seymour in the wings) combine for one of the top 2 CB tandems on PFF, NFLSavant, and other evaluation services. We can have the conversation about Gilmore's contract if you like, in which case this vaults way up. 5-tech is a major strength, as is ILB. DraftTek ranks Kickers but they just aren't drafted (exception: Aguayo, who's struggled).

Let me know if you'd change any of these ratings, and we'll see what gets drafted in our mock as a result.

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Rex still here and 0 additions in UFA

P1 - Safety safety play has not been great and there is no real depth there, also how much longer does Aaron keep playing

P2 - QB, WR (outside guy), OG, Edge Rusher

P3 - RT, C, CB

P4 - WR (slot), K

I don't know who's who regarding safeties, but i see it as an issue. Duke and Meeks have gots to GAAAO. And Graham looks like a cap casualty. Blanton doesn't seem to thump much, and Aaron Williams is like - all we have at the position. I'm not saying get a weddle/byrd huge contract, but that position needs some depth. Maybe Revis wants to make the switch...?

Anyone with some Rex experience? As I assume from Pegula's interview that he intends to stay the course with this staff.

Edited by dneveu

Need and this answered 1st. Are we keeping Rex and coaching staff. That changes needs a bit for me

I don't understand your first sentence.

We're keeping Rex and Co.

1. A new medical staff

2. A new stength and conditioning staff

3. A WR

4. A RT

5. A safety

I just used FanSpeak's simulator and got Mike Williams, then OT Bisnowaty from Pitt in RD2. It doesn't simulate getting new staffs LOL

Agree with most of it, my only change is to the TE ranking. On paper a P3 isn't going to get us anything better than what we have now. If you really want to upgrade the position, it has to be at P2, otherwise I feel like it's a wasted spot. My expectation is that Gilmore is gone, and going with that I would move CB at P3.

I want an offensive weapon first......it really does not matter to me if its a TE or a big physical wide out....just give me a good hands catcher who is physical and will block downfield

2nd would be safety....our safety play goes to crap when Aaron Williams leaves the field....Meeks is beyond horrible and Duke isnt much better

WR and Safety for me have been the top two needs and it is even bigger now than before. There are some guys that I love at safety and some day WRs as well. There are multiple Pro Bowl safeties in this class IMO. Depending on what happens with Gilmore certainly plays a part as well. You need good CBs in Rex's system.

Needs at every position except center and punter. Our opening day 2015 roster was way more talented than what we have now. We took a step back this year and will take another step back next year the way it's looking

You really think that we need another edge rusher or LB or LT? This is just me being the hyperbole police. We have one of, if not the best LB/edge rushing groups in the league with great depth (assuming ZB and Lorax are re-signed). We have needs but let's not overreact.

1. A new medical staff

2. A new stength and conditioning staff

3. A WR

4. A RT

5. A safety

I think this is pretty accurate. Since you can't draft your staff, I'll go with

P1 - WR

P2 - RT and Safety

P3 - Corner

If Gilmore walks, we may need to seek out WR help in FA and address CB in R1 of the draft.

P1: WR

P2: S, CB

P3: OT, NT, TE

P4: QB, OG, C

P5: OLB, ILB, DE

P6: HB

I would like to see a TE grabbed early this year as I think there is a couple of good ones and it would help with the WR problem. Safety is a huge concern for me as is CB if Gilmore walks.

Round 1: Best WR/TE/S available

Round 2: Best of the 2 left over positions adding in OT/NT as a possibility

Round 3: Any of P1-P3 on my list