Column: "Pats have clear road to Super Bowl"

1. Half the teams in the AFC have a clear path to the playoffs. They just have to win out. In the Bills case, winning out makes them 14-2 and they have the tiebreaker over NE, so they have the clearest path of all. Do the Bills have some tough games? Yes, absolutely. Away games in Seattle and Oakland. It's always tough for the Bills to go to the west coast, and Seattle has a great D and Oakland has a very good offense. But neither is perfect.

2. NE deserves to be the favorite for the SB until proven otherwise. If no more injuries happen to any player on any team, NE probably has the best shot. But injuries are the wild card.

3. The Bengals and Chiefs seem to be struggling. The Texans looked lousy both times I saw them but they play in a terrible division so they might end up with a good record. I thought the Broncos looked great the first few weeks but not anymore -- what happened? Even their D is struggling now. Pitt's D is quite bad but their O is excellent.

4. The Bills have good balance between O, D, and ST, but their O is not balanced. They can't pass worth very much and they run great until they play a strong D line (Ravens, Jets) and then forget it.

5. The best news for the Bills is that their strong D front 7 is going to get better and deeper when Dareus and Shaq start playing. Darby is doing OK but Gilmore, geez, eww.

6. When will D coordinators figure out Anthony Lynn? Hopefully sometime next April.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6. When will D coordinators figure out Anthony Lynn? Hopefully sometime next April.

That's been on my mind. We are on a great run but at some point a DC will figure out how to stop it. I'm hoping Anthony Lynn is planning for that now. I really hope the Bills come up with some new stuff to attack the Patriots with considering they will have two weeks to game plan for us.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20161018/SPORTS16/161019260/1003/sports

Yup, impressive wins over the 0-6 Browns and and 2-4 Bengals. Start sizing up those rings. Any way we can forward this to Rex for some locker room billboard material?

What do you expect from a New England newspaper, the truth?

It would be like a NC newspaper telling the truth about mad cow disease.

Well I seem to recall the prevailing narrative before that game was the Pats could start anyone at QB and beat you. That sure flipped in a hurry.

Well so far Brady crushed the Browns and Bengals, teams with a combined 2-10 record. If that were the Bills I'm sure everyone would be pointing out that we only beat bad teams. I guess I better not say anymore or else Tommy will get angrier than he already is. We don't want that.

And I'm sure if the Pats beat the Steelers on Sunday, no one will be saying, well, it was without Rothlisberger. No, the stories will be that the Pats are ballin'.

They had a clear path last season too until they hit the last 5 games of the season and the playoffs when their OLine collapsed.

If you want to crown them, go ahead and crown them, but there is a lot of football left to be played.

Yup. We need to focus on the Fish and they need to take care of the Steelers on Sunday!!!!

Kinda why it's so darn important for the Bills to crush the Patriots in two weeks at new era! They could take the division and themselves have a clear road. On any given Sunday...

Just as long as the Bills don't look past their next target like the Steelers did and lose big!

No, kind why it's so darn important for the Bills to crush squish the fish this week . . . one at a time boyz, one at a time.

That's been on my mind. We are on a great run but at some point a DC will figure out how to stop it. I'm hoping Anthony Lynn is planning for that now. I really hope the Bills come up with some new stuff to attack the Patriots with considering they will have two weeks to game plan for us.

they will make us throw the ball, which is kind of what NE did. In that game, Tyrod was very efficient and effective with short timing routes, I would like to see us do more of that.

You do realize the Steelers will be playing them without Ben R?

Nope, sorry your comment and opinion can lick monkey balls it doesnt count. Only when the Bills beat a team can the excuse of not having your starting QB in the game be used.

And I'm sure if the Pats beat the Steelers on Sunday, no one will be saying, well, it was without Rothlisberger. No, the stories will be that the Pats are ballin'.

This. times a 100. That media bias is real.

Yup. We need to focus on the Fish and they need to take care of the Steelers on Sunday!!!!

Thats right Gnesh! one win at a time! The more losses the Ravens and Steelers take the better off we are. Even if those losses are to the Pats*

i have not read most of this thread...but seems like we are freaking over an article in the NEW HAMPSHIRE Union Leader!!!!! Paper of record for......

This would be akin to getting riled up over something n the Niagara Falls Gazette...and yes that is a real paper...

Edited by plenzmd1

Agree, We did good vs the Pats defense this year but, we need to do better on the 30th, it will be Lynn's biggest test to date. You know that shutout pissed off Bellicheat, hes gonna try to embarrass Rex this time around, AND run the score up on us. You know how bellicheat gets.

For us to take a W from a Brady led team, we are gonna need to outplay them in all 3 phases.

1. Tight man coverage to take away the short passing game and Keep blitzing Brady to make Brady throw a rare INT or force a fumble and recover it.

2. Keep the field position advantage in our favor with solid STs coverage on that weaselly Edelman..

3. BILLS MUST SCORE A TD EVERY TIME THEY ARE IN THE RED ZONE!! Cant stress that enough.

4. We have to make each drive count, long clock eating, run powered drives that we finish with TDs and take Brady out of the game by keeping him on the sideline looking like

The_Real_Story_Behind_Black_Guy_On_The_P

Edited by Marty McFly

Until someone in the AFC proves otherwise, the Pats are the favorites. I don't see what's so controversial about that.

I don't either...they are going to put up 30 points in most games, that's going to win you a lot of football games...

i have not read most of this thread...but seems like we are freaking over an article in the NEW HAMPSHIRE Union Leader!!!!! Paper of record for......

This would be akin to getting riled up over something n the Niagara Falls Gazette...and yes that is a real paper...

It is..their OP Ed/Ed OP pieces are comic relief

Maybe not a clear road but you have to like their chances over everyone else

Watching Brady highlights this past weekend. There just seems no way a 39 yo guy should be able to throw the way he does..................at least not without some help if you know what I mean. Look at guys like Kelly and Marino were toast at 34.

I think it's true that players of the Kelly/Marino era didn't always take care of themselves in legit ways (working out especially all the little stabilizing muscles, massage and trigger-point therapy, etc).

It's also true that when Kelly and Marino played, QB could be hit, um, a little bit more than they can now. Watch a clip of Bruce Smith sacks sometime and think about how many of them would have been some kind of penalty in today's game.

They do have a clear road to the super bowl.

1 - They currently have the best record in the league, and are a game up on everyone. They'll probably be 2 up on Pittsburgh + the tiebreaker after this week.

Then they get the Jets twice, Miami, 49ers, and rams. Those are slam dunks for them. That right there puts them at 11. They'd need to lose to Buffalo, Seattle, Denver, and Baltimore to finish 11-5. They will win at least 2 of those. That gets them 13. Which will probably take home field in the AFC.

2 - They have the best QB in the league, and their team is relatively healthy unlike last year.

3 - They're money at home.

4 - In the playoffs, if they take home field, they will go to the super bowl.

Edited by dneveu

In all fairness, nothing here that isn't somewhat obvious.

NE appears to be the class of the AFC yet again.

I hope we can ruin their plans, and the second NE game is fixin' to be something very exciting.

that's impossible to say. Why do we always want to get on our knees and look up to NE*??

We are better than them in all ways but QB and coaching. Combine their cheating, too.

At the end of the day we have a team that is superior no matter what some paper says. We lose to them because of coaching as the biggest factor. And cheating as second. Brady is not the factor in most games, disregardless of myth