Tipster19

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, Jerry Sullivan. :doh:

I didn't realize that I wasn't capable of forming my own opinion. I know what I saw and I know what I heard. Suspension last year, suspended this year, sounds like a moron in his PC, not real hard to figure this one out. It makes me laugh that the media is out of line for pressing for some insight and answers on his situation. Dareus is paid quite handsomely and should be accountable for his actions. BTW, I don't live in western NY anymore and other than the Bills app I don't read the local newspapers but if Sullivan is saying the same thing then good for him for calling out this idiot.

The NFL's best teams have a bunch of solid starters and then a few superstars who put them over the top.

We don't have enough superstars to be one of the league's best teams. So I can't be in favor of giving up one of the few we have unless we get a guaranteed superstar in return.

I wouldn't even trade Marcel away for a #1. I think the chances of Marcel learning from his mistakes are greater than a first round pick becoming as good as him.

I didn't realize that I wasn't capable of forming my own opinion. I know what I saw and I know what I heard. Suspension last year, suspended this year, sounds like a moron in his PC, not real hard to figure this one out. It makes me laugh that the media is out of line for pressing for some insight and answers on his situation. Dareus is paid quite handsomely and should be accountable for his actions. BTW, I don't live in western NY anymore and other than the Bills app I don't read the local newspapers but if Sullivan is saying the same thing then good for him for calling out this idiot.

He is paid quite well to play football and absolutely should be held accountable for his actions, in so far as they impact his employment. However, whatever he is paid does not ENTITLE, you, the media, nor anyone else (with the exception of his employer - to a degree) to the details of what he did or did not do regarding treatment, therapy, or other attempts to change his personal life. You can judge him all you want and form whatever opinion you desire- you have that right. However, to be honest, the choice to provide insight and answers about what he did over the last month is his - not yours.

I don't think that will be an option for them. Not sure anyone will trade a high pick for him.

Before people jump on Tipster and call him a troll though or start quoting Sully at him... I was similarly worried by his presser. I am not sure he came across as at all contrite. Indeed he came across as an arrogant jerk.

Now I hope that is just because he is clearly uncomfortable facing the media but if the team has any concerns internally about whether he has really moved on then they should be open minded about his future.

EDIT: and I love him as a player. Think he is an elite talent.

No team would ever give up a first rounder for that contract on a guy who is his next "mistake" from a 10 game suspension or worse.

We've been through all this before (only 2 years ago) with Dareus. He's saying the same things he did then--although this year he threw in the bogus "rehab" stuff to make it seem like it was out of his control and also to give the Bills cover for treating him differently while the owners "got tough" in response to player suspensions.

He is paid quite well to play football and absolutely should be held accountable for his actions, in so far as they impact his employment. However, whatever he is paid does not ENTITLE, you, the media, nor anyone else (with the exception of his employer - to a degree) to the details of what he did or did not do regarding treatment, therapy, or other attempts to change his personal life. You can judge him all you want and form whatever opinion you desire- you have that right. However, to be honest, the choice to provide insight and answers about what he did over the last month is his - not yours.

Very well said. It seems like some people think these guys should have a Go Pro on 24/7 so we can see what they do all day. It's absurd.

Dareus should be accountable for his actions in breaking league rules and getting suspended and for keeping himself in condition (eg stuff that affects his ability to play football), but his mental health and medical treatment IMO should be private, other than "seeking treatment from appropriate professionals".

I brought this up when we got news of the suspension.

Marcel D. is a immense talent.....but he is only good to us if he is on the field.

The next suspension will be for a year

The good news? it looks to me like the bills HAVE addressed the position...our D was playing pretty without him. I expect them to be even better with him.......but I want to start addressing offensive deficiencies now

Excellent and very well balanced take. :thumbsup:

Yep. People forget that Bruce Smith was suspended for the 1st 4 games of 1988. This was after he'd been in the league 4 years. He went on to have a HOF career for the next 11 years with the Bills.

Not saying that Dareus will do that, just that Amateur Hour Truth Assessment of a news conference is not a good reason to cut off that possibility. How he behaves on the field and whether he in fact, cleans up his off-field act, much more important. I'm far more bothered by his big, fat, gut than I am by press conference body language that could mean many things (how about "I'm having a bit of a digestive disturbance and I hope this ends before I literally crap up the stage" ?)

Sounds like you are becoming Hopeful again. :lol:

I wont look at PCs to form an opinion of a man who I dont know personally. His on-field play and dedication to the game will go a long way in showing us if he is capable of turning his life around. Clearly, as is obvious, he is a fantastic talent and can be a totally dominating and disrupting force in the middle. Unfortunately, he has been off the field quite frequently. In a few players, past history is surely a predictor of their future. But others have reformed and led productive careers. It will be a tough decision for a front office considering moving him and frankly I wouldnt fault them for whatever decision they make. He did come into the league at a young age and perhaps never matured enough to put his health and career above recreation. Compound that with the personal events that happened and its easy to see why he ended up where he is.

Lets see. I say a decision needs to be made in the offseason when he doesnt have the games to prepare for. His play this season and what he does in his idle time during the offseason will be an excellent pointer to the future.

I like the way that you omitted the part that HE SAID that he was going to rehab and then showed up after his reinstatement giggling that he was glad to be back, and oh yeah, he didn't go to rehab. What a joke! How dare the media ask him questions about that! I don't care about his personal life but I do care about his professional life and the one is interrupting the other. Personally, I'm not looking for answers, I'm looking for results. This guy is having a real hard time getting on the field. He's paid huge and to fully expect him to honor his contract and stay on the field is my prerogative regardless if you like it or not.

I'm just reacting to the habit around here of demanding we cut players out of spite without considering the ramifications. Jerry and Bucky are always the first knee-jerks to react that way to any bad news. My take is you don't just get rid of good players unless you have a plan on how to replace them. Dareus is a key player when he is playing his top game. The Bills defense, with its constant rotation of players, needs depth to be effective. This team will make the playoffs on its defense and I'm not in favor of doing anything to weaken it short of a murder conviction, and ESPECIALLY not for getting baked occaisionally.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm just reacting to the habit around here of demanding we cut players out of spite without considering the ramifications. Jerry and Bucky are always the first knee-jerks to react that way to any bad news. My take is you don't just get rid of good players unless you have a plan on how to replace them. Dareus is a key player when he is playing his top game. The Bills defense, with its constant rotation of players, needs depth to be effective. This team will make the playoffs on its defense and I'm not in favor of doing anything to weaken it short of a murder conviction, and ESPECIALLY not for getting baked occaisionally.

Promo - I generally agree with you. Don't give up elite talent. I was also very much of the view that Dareus deserved another chance after the last incident. I am nervous about him now. The presser was bad. It was just a bad look.

I really don't want to lose Marcell but I think it is getting to the point where if someone was mad enough to offer you a 1st you would have to consider it.

Edited by GunnerBill

I like the way that you omitted the part that HE SAID that he was going to rehab and then showed up after his reinstatement giggling that he was glad to be back, and oh yeah, he didn't go to rehab. What a joke! How dare the media ask him questions about that! I don't care about his personal life but I do care about his professional life and the one is interrupting the other. Personally, I'm not looking for answers, I'm looking for results. This guy is having a real hard time getting on the field. He's paid huge and to fully expect him to honor his contract and stay on the field is my prerogative regardless if you like it or not.

Actually, it sounds very much like you think he should have to give answers and explanations about what he did or didn't do over the last month - or you wouldn't go on about the media not getting them. As I previously said, you have the right/prerogative to any opinion you desire - it doesn't mean anything to me one way or the other. I was simply pointing out that neither you nor the media are entitled to any explanation/clarification of what he did or didn't do. If your only concern is results, then why not wait and see what the results are.

Cost him roughly $4 Million (and probably more in endorsements etc.) to fail that test. He loses at least $16 Million if he gets caught again. He might think long and hard when the spliff comes passing around his way.

If I am the Bills, you have to trust your players to become men on their own. I say, unless the phone rings with an offer we cannot refuse, ride it out. I think we are going to see him put on a nice 12 game season.