Should the Bills move on from Dareus?

Tipster19

I'm just reacting to the habit around here of demanding we cut players out of spite without considering the ramifications. Jerry and Bucky are always the first knee-jerks to react that way to any bad news. My take is you don't just get rid of good players unless you have a plan on how to replace them. Dareus is a key player when he is playing his top game. The Bills defense, with its constant rotation of players, needs depth to be effective. This team will make the playoffs on its defense and I'm not in favor of doing anything to weaken it short of a murder conviction, and ESPECIALLY not for getting baked occaisionally.

Even if getting baked occasionally gets you suspended for a year?!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Fluffy meme! I believe in rehab because it works, and forces the addict to confront their addiction. When an addict makes a show of saying "I'm going to rehab", then a month later we find out he didn't, I think it's naive to think he got the help he needed. To me, he's showing all the signs of an addict in avoidance. I hope I'm wrong, but we're just gonna disagree on this one.

Thank you (bow) on the Fluffy. I think that deserves to become a TBD classic, like being 'Pan'ed.

I'm glad you believe in rehab "because it works". However, you might want to look harder at the evidence that does (or does not) back up your belief.

Pro tip: rehabilitation centers are not required to publish their rates of improvement by any metric that a "sensible member of the public" would recognize as meaningful - eg self-reported relapse rate, readmission to rehab, further problems with drug tests/law. When these places say "90% success", they are typically talking about the rate with which addicts complete their program, not what happens when these guys go back into the world.

And what do you think the signs of an addict in avoidance may be?

But yeah, we can disagree.

I would rather move on from assanine post like these

That

Except that he's not out of shape.

I'm well aware he had issues two years ago. I guess people can't change or grow, good to know...

Didn't he kinda show he hasn't changed or grown from those issues 2 yrs ago? Sure, people CAN change or grow, but he is still getting in trouble. He's had a couple of years to show change or growth. How long do you give him?

It appears he didn't return in top shape. Hammie today makes him a ?? for Sunday. I was not impressed with his press conference. I got the impression he just does not get it. Some times it's tough to cut bait and we can only hope Kim sees the light. I really think she will lead this team in the future.

Except that he's not out of shape.

I'm well aware he had issues two years ago. I guess people can't change or grow, good to know...

He's not?

Also, how has he changed or grown from 2014? Was his latest suspension evidence of that growth? That he did the things he said he would after 2014?

Man we can really be the worst.

What was the problem with his conference? He simply didn't want to talk about his psychological, and medical issues.

Lead a charge to get rid of Sammy because he's soft.

Lead a charge to get rid of Dareus because he makes mistakes

Lead a charge to get rid of McCoy because he is old and slow

Lead a charge to get rid of Woods because he isn't even a #2 WR

Lead a charge to get rid of Gilmore because he didn't make a tackle

Lead a charge to get rid of Clay because he isn't getting the ball enough

Lead the charge Bills fans!

The horrors that this team would face if the fans ran it. :lol:

Erm, have you seen Shaun Hill play? The last time he saw significant playing time (Rams 2014), he threw for 1600-ish yards in 9 games, 8 TD, 7 INT.

Time will tell if Bradford was a wise investment for the Vikes - his health record is so, so scary. But to think Shaun Hill could do as well at QB as Bradford when healthy, sounds like you haven't watched either of them play in the last 3 years.

Bradford has played very well these past three games. His career QB rating is now up to 81.9. That is almost up to Hill's career rating of 85.0.

I have seen them play and agree that Bradford does much better on the eyeball test than Hill. Vike's defense has been great so as I was saying it's not clear to me they wouldn't be 4-0 even if Hill was playing instead of Bradford. We'll never know. But Hill was in fact the quarterback for the first game of the season.

Bradford is signed for one more year with a cap hit of $17M in 2017. In a finite resource environment like the NFL I'm just saying I would not have given up two draft picks including a number one for a guy who is marginally better than Hill and has a history of injuries so that he can compete with Teddy Bridgewater. But if they go to the Super Bowl this year of course they will be happy they made it. Or, maybe they are worried Bridgewater's injuries are potentially career threatening or multi-year, then I guess I can understand it.

He's not?

Also, how has he changed or grown from 2014? Was his latest suspension evidence of that growth? That he did the things he said he would after 2014?

No, he's not out of shape. Please find one piece of evidence that he came to camp, pre-season, or now out of shape. He pulled a hammy, that happens. Being out of shape can increase that type of injury, but doesn't mean he's out of shape.

Kyle said he practiced and will be ready to go for the game. If he was out of shape, they wouldn't let him play. He's not in football shape, but that doesn't happen until you play football.

Instead of making things up, find something that says he's out of shape and post that.

I don't know if he's changed and neither does anyone here unless you know Marcell personally. My hope is that he has changed and learned from his past transgressions. I know multiple people that didn't lead a clean, healthy, good lifestyle for many years but eventually turned it around. It's pretty common, even for people in there 20's and later.

I think people who have demons should always talk about them in public the way I want them to so I can look down my nose at them with fake superiority.

Sincerly,

BILLS' fans

It's a business decision, no more, no less. There's good ones and there's bad ones and Dareus is starting to shape up as one where the buyer better beware.

Even if getting baked occasionally gets you suspended for a year?!

I said I don't care if he bakes. It's a shame the NFL does. For what he gets paid he can put the bong away until retirement. But I think it won't be much longer before the NFL relents.

If you got a good return like a 1st or high 2nd round pick I think you would have to consider it. Not only would you yield a solid return that helps you bring in a good talent but you would get his cap hit off the books which could free the Bills up money to pursue other free agents. However I would like to see Dareus play in Ryan's system this year before we make any decisions. Dareus is a beast no doubt and he has been proven to make the defense better in games that he missed in years past. So to give up on such a talent in his prime for a high draft pick that is by no means a sure thing isn't the easiest decision.

I hope that after this latest suspension he keeps himself out of trouble and the defense goes next level with him back joining an already high preforming unit.

I said I don't care if he bakes. It's a shame the NFL does. For what he gets paid he can put the bong away until retirement. But I think it won't be much longer before the NFL relents.

Problem isn't that Dareus bakes (Personally I think it is stupid that the NFL cares 2 teams play in states where it is legal and by next season that number could be 7 teams), it's that he gets caught under a system that is fairly easy to beat. If Aaron Hernandez can beat the system then it really is designed to be a beatable system.

So if your high paying job depends on beating an easy system that a lot of other idiots beat then you better make sure to beat that system. Yes is the fact that the system is there stupid? Of course but once again if Hernandez managed to never get caught so can you.

And what do you think the signs of an addict in avoidance may be?

My last update on this topic. When this first broke, it was a "missed test". Marcell said, "I'm sorry, but at this point, actions mean more than words." But then, if it was a missed test, why did he have to go to rehab? Before rehab, Marcell said, "I'm sorry, but at this point, actions mean more than words." Now we find out "My bad, I didn't go to rehab, but at this point, actions mean more than words." Sensing a theme here? As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but he doesn't look good.