Trump, Rex and the NFL

I do not want the US to be a country where both Rex AND Kap are not allowed to express their opinions

I also do not want the US to be a country where the owners of a football team are criticized for "tolerating" an employee's political beliefs.

The Pegulas are the reason there is no danger of the Bills moving to Toronto or LA or elsewhere. In my mind, that will always make them the best owners in professional sports.

Has it?

No.

Your opinion means more than a player's quote on how they feel? Agree to disagree I guess.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not want the US to be a country where both Rex AND Kap are not allowed to express their opinions

I also do not want the US to be a country where the owners of a football team are criticized for "tolerating" an employee's political beliefs.

The Pegulas are the reason there is no danger of the Bills moving to Toronto or LA or elsewhere. In my mind, that will always make them the best owners in professional sports.

Has it?

No.

I'm not talking about changing the constitution, man.

I'm saying it should be a team policy.

Let him put up all the David Duke signs he wants in his lawn ... just don't publicly endorse any candidate because it could (realistically - will) disrupt the team.

Let him put up all the David Duke signs he wants in his lawn ... just don't publicly endorse any candidate because it could (realistically - will) disrupt the team.

I doubt the Player's Association would let team policies stifle player free speech. The ****storm the owners would get from that would be crazy.

Edit. I agree with you though that keeping it out of the workplace would be ideal.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

who is this "david duke" you speak of? enlighten me..

Your opinion means more than a player's quote on how they feel? Agree to disagree I guess.

Where on the field this past Sunday did you see that this negatively effected the team?

Did the attendance on victory Monday support this narrative?

No.

Your reference to David Duke says all one needs to know about your level of bias against Rex. Much better than I could have Jerry . . . I mean Gugny Edited by Peter

Where on the field this past Sunday did you see that this negatively effected the team?

Did the attendance on victory Monday support this narrative?

No.

Another direct quote from the article.

"The internal disagreement regarding politics has yet to impact the team in a negative way; since starting 0-2, the Bills have beaten the Cardinals and Patriots."

You're clearly commenting on something you didn't read.

Your reference to David Duke says all one needs to know about your level of bias against Rex. Much better than I could have Jerry . . . I mean Gugny

Wait ... so it's unfair to link a person who supports a candidate who was endorsed by David Duke ... to David Duke? That's not bias. It's observation.

so what was your point?

I'm sure David Duke never really happened. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Wait ... so it's unfair to link a person who supports a candidate who was endorsed by David Duke ... to David Duke? That's not bias. It's observation.

again.. who is this david duke character?.. is there some sort of inference one could draw? is he a bad person? did trump solicit and accept his endorsement?

Edited by dwight in philly

Another direct quote from the article.

"The internal disagreement regarding politics has yet to impact the team in a negative way; since starting 0-2, the Bills have beaten the Cardinals and Patriots."

You're clearly commenting on something you didn't read.

What is the title of this thread:

"Report: Bills locker room issues due to politics"

What is the title of the PFT article?

"Bills reportedly have a Trump-related schism"

Keep politics out of the workplace.

It's being an adult 101.

Rex is a jerk for openly and actively endorsing ANY candidate. It's part of what makes him a bad coach.

And if the Pegulas tolerate it, then it makes them bad owners.

he might be a jerk...but be consistent. there is nothing in the anonymous storio from florio that he brought politics into the workplace...just that a or some player(s) looked differently upon him for doing so. that's reflective of nothing more than....the world, since the beginning of organized politics.

I'm going to weigh in on the side of let the man speak his mind, and let players react and speak theirs. Compartmentalizing deeper issues (politics, spirit, morals, life, etc.) from work is what has made so many amoral organizations in the first place, and it has done great damage to this planet, albeit producing lots of cool stuff along the way.

I love Rex. But it doesn't surprise me that he is attracted to some aspects of Trump's personality. And for the record, I doubt too many people on this board are more radical or liberal than I am, and I think Trump is a complete travesty in every conceivable way.

But I still support Rex's right to express himself however he wants, and different players' right to react, and Kap's right to take a knee (which I admire - unlike Rex's stance). We need to stop being so scared and buttoned-down and corporate about everything and re-learn how to live in human communities where different people have different values and make different sense of the world.

I'm glad Rex is our coach, though I couldn't disagree with him more about his choice of candidate.

he might be a jerk...but be consistent. there is nothing in the anonymous storio from florio that he brought politics into the workplace...just that a or some player(s) looked differently upon him for doing so. that's reflective of nothing more than....the world, since the beginning of organized politics.

I think I recall Rex sharing a stage with one of the candidates not too long ago.

I'm sure David Duke never really happened. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

By your "reasoning," one might argue that you have more of a link to him than Rex given that you repeatedly mentioned his name in this thread.

Such "reasoning" would be flawed in either instance given that I trust that you have no link to that awful person David Duke.

The anonymous Bills players making comments about Rex to the media are total cowards. At least Rex has the stones to admit what he believes publicly.

Apples to toasters. Rex has quite a bit of control over their professional lives. They have no control over his. Thus he is free to say what he wants, they are not.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/06/bills-reportedly-have-a-trump-related-schism/

I don't know if it's possible to separate the political talk from the football talk, but I do think this is related to the Bills on the field and deserves to be discussed.

If folks could put their politics aside, can we have a discussion about whether or not our head football coach should be endorsing candidates and attending rallies regardless of party affiliation? Why risk alienating the locker room on either side? If your main concern is truly about winning and bringing a championship to Buffalo, then why even step into the fray? To me, this is just another example of Rex being more about himself than the team and his recklessness as a coach.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. Rex is a citizen who has every right to express his political beliefs and attend rallies, hang signs, put on bumper stickers, etc. If he were holding his team meetings at a rally, or having his players go with him as part of their "job", well then of course that would be wrong. But, this is just an American expressing his Constitutional freedom and privilege of endorsing his choice for President. This, if anything, represents a strong model of behavior: be involved, be informed, and vote. Regardless of the candidate, just be a part of the process.

This is no surprise. The second that Rex introduced him at a rally I cringed. 2 things that don't belong in the workplace are politics and religion. Those topics inherently divide people. Practice what you believe, vote for who you prefer but do not try to inflict your beliefs on anyone else and respect those whose beliefs differ. It really isn't that hard.

I'm going to weigh in on the side of let the man speak his mind, and let players react and speak theirs. Compartmentalizing deeper issues (politics, spirit, morals, life, etc.) from work is what has made so many amoral organizations in the first place, and it has done great damage to this planet, albeit producing lots of cool stuff along the way.

I love Rex. But it doesn't surprise me that he is attracted to some aspects of Trump's personality. And for the record, I doubt too many people on this board are more radical or liberal than I am, and I think Trump is a complete travesty in every conceivable way.

But I still support Rex's right to express himself however he wants, and different players' right to react, and Kap's right to take a knee (which I admire - unlike Rex's stance). We need to stop being so scared and buttoned-down and corporate about everything and re-learn how to live in human communities where different people have different values and make different sense of the world.

I'm glad Rex is our coach, though I couldn't disagree with him more about his choice of candidate.

Well said. And on most occasions this is the way it should work. Everyone says what they want to say in a mutually respectful way and then get back to work. But this election just seems different to me. It is the most toxic, divisive, ugly and polarizing election I can remember. No way all that can be kept out of an NFL locker room. Sooner or later, its going to cause problems. I'm just gonna hang on and hope for the best.

This is no surprise. The second that Rex introduced him at a rally I cringed. 2 things that don't belong in the workplace are politics and religion. Those topics inherently divide people. Practice what you believe, vote for who you prefer but do not try to inflict your beliefs on anyone else and respect those whose beliefs differ. It really isn't that hard

again, I'm missing something here. Rex introduced Trump at a Trump rally, not at a Buffalo Bills practice. How is that different than following your sensible adage: "Practice what you believe, vote for who you prefer but do not try to inflict your beliefs on anyone else and respect those whose beliefs differ."

was there another event?

Well said. And on most occasions this is the way it should work. Everyone says what they want to say in a mutually respectful way and then get back to work. But this election just seems different to me. It is the most toxic, divisive, ugly and polarizing election I can remember. No way all that can be kept out of an NFL locker room. Sooner or later, its going to cause problems. I'm just gonna hang on and hope for the best.

True - this is a very fraught political environment. And a judicious coach would certainly not advertise his political preferences right now. But Rex is not especially judicious (understatement) and I kind of like that about him.

He shoots from the hip/heart/testicles and that's OK. Many people say that Trump also shoots that way, but unlike Trump, Rex actually has some humility and power of self reflection. He'll admit when he is wrong, or is ignorant about something. He'll admit that Belichick (God rot his soul) is probably the best coach in history. You'll never hear things like that coming out of Trump's mouth. So I can take Rex's bombast and half-formed opinions, because they feel authentic and they feel like they are coming from a living, breathing, evolving human being. I like him and I think the team will continue to like and respect him even if they are troubled by his support of Trump.

17-2, baby - to steal from The Senator.

True - this is a very fraught political environment. And a judicious coach would certainly not advertise his political preferences right now. But Rex is not especially judicious (understatement) and I kind of like that about him.

He shoots from the hip/heart/testicles and that's OK. Many people say that Trump also shoots that way, but unlike Trump, Rex actually has some humility and power of self reflection. He'll admit when he is wrong, or is ignorant about something. He'll admit that Belichick (God rot his soul) is probably the best coach in history. You'll never hear things like that coming out of Trump's mouth. So I can take Rex's bombast and half-formed opinions, because they feel authentic and they feel like they are coming from a living, breathing, evolving human being. I like him and I think the team will continue to like and respect him even if they are troubled by his support of Trump.

17-2, baby - to steal from The Senator.

i gather you are not a trump supporter.. no problem.. but i really think rex does not need, nor would want, apologists..

By your "reasoning," one might argue that you have more of a link to him than Rex given that you repeatedly mentioned his name in this thread.

Such "reasoning" would be flawed in either instance given that I trust that you have no link to that awful person David Duke.

Fair enough. It was a stretch, I'll admit.

i do, however, think that people in high positions within any organization should be smart about their endorsements. I believe in, and support, everyone's freedoms. Sometimes, however, common sense needs to prevail.

I don't think it's smart that someone in "upper management," in an organization in which over 70% of its "employees," are African American, gets involved in any way, shape or form, with this presidential race. Does he have the right? Absolutely. Should he exercise it in his position, as part of this organization, in this particular race? I don't think so, personally.

i gather you are not a trump supporter.. no problem.. but i really think rex does not need, nor would want, apologists..

I'm not sure what you mean. The topic of the thread is whether or not Rex should have voiced his opinion and whether or not that will have a negative effect on the team. I'm just saying that I'm fine with his voicing his opinion, despite the fact it is contrary to mine, and I am not worried at all about its effect on the team. Furthermore, I'm adding in my overall opinion about the kind of person and coach Rex is (a good one on both counts in my eyes), which people seem to do all the time - positively and negatively - in practically every thread on this board. I like Rex and think he is a pretty good coach, though not perfect. If that makes me an apologist, OK then. And I think Rex in fact does want people to support him and like him, so I'm going to have to disagree with you about that.

Also, in another comment you complained that people are critiquing Rex while supporting Kap and that that is agenda-based hypocrisy.

I'm agreeing with you and using myself as a counterexample. My "agenda" is squarely in the pro-Kap, pro BLM, anti-Trump corner. But I also support Rex's right to express his political views. And more than just a right, I think it is actually healthy that he is doing so. So if I critique him I'm a hypocrite, and if I support him I'm an apologist? How does that work?

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I don't think it's smart that someone in "upper management," in an organization in which over 70% of its "employees," are African American, gets involved in any way, shape or form, with this presidential race. Does he have the right? Absolutely. Should he exercise it in his position, as part of this organization, in this particular race? I don't think so, personally.

Why not? Hurt feels?

so rex is being called out by some , yet taking a knee during the anthem, just exercising ""their right to do so".. guess it all boils down to which agenda fits ones niche'

Who really cares. It's all for our entertainment anyway.

Some people (even some Americans) think Hitler was a cool dude.

Some people (Iranians mostly) think the holocaust never happened.

Some people liked Saddam Hussein so much that they elected an American president who shared the same name Hussein.

I don't support any of these ideas. I just wanted to throw them out there into this thread to attempt to further fuel the flames that are already cranking around here.

Keep it up. I am enjoying the laughs. Only in America baby! :thumbsup:

On a side note.....why is it you only really see men arguing about politics and rarely ever see women publicly arguing about it?

Some people (even some Americans) think Hitler was a cool dude.

Some people (Iranians mostly) think the holocaust never happened.

Some people liked Saddam Hussein so much that they elected an American president who shared the same name Hussein.

I don't support any of these ideas. I just wanted to throw them out there into this thread to attempt to further fuel the flames that are already cranking around here.

Keep it up. I am enjoying the laughs. Only in America baby! :thumbsup:

On a side note.....why is it you only really see men arguing about politics and rarely ever see women publicly arguing about it?

i think the holocaust happened, and hitler was despicable, to say the least.. as for electing obama? because of the name "hussein" not so much.. i think he was elected because people are not that informed.. JMHO!

A smart coach would have realized how much of a lightening Rod Trump is and how he is disliked by the black community and made the decision to stay out of the political discussion.

do you have any proof that "Trump is and how he is disliked by the black community " or is it heresay? an opinion?