Could EJ be re-signed after the season

Mango

Pretty much a zero chance of EJ being a Bill next season. He will want to move on and the Bills will want to move on. The definite possibility of a new regime wouldn't help his cause. They'd want to pick their own QB. And, quite frankly, I can't see any reason that any Bills fan would want to see him here next season - unless it's been so long since they've seen him play that they forgot what that looks like.

I think if they don't take the Tyrod option they would need another QB on the roster. If they can do a cheap 1 or 2 deal with EJ that might be better than trading a pick for a Matt Cassel type.

They will still want to draft their own guy and if a better vet becomes available later down the line they can still sign him and cut EJ similar to what they did with TJax back in 2013. They re-signed him then after Kolb was signed and they started OTAs they cut TJax.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got the hate for EJ. I just dont understand it.

Tyrod is no better than him, Orton wasnt any better either. That being said, that guy needs to get as far away from Buffalo as fast as he can.

This. If I'm Erik Manuel, I hit FA and take the best contract I can find that's not CLE or BUF. Why would anyone want to play for this sideshow? What I didn't understand until the Roman firing was exactly how far we've fallen compared to the rest of the NFL. We're in the bottom 5 of NFL franchises to play for, and yes, that's with going 9-7 and 8-8 the last two years. EJ simply couldn't do much worse.

Love how Tyrod went from the answer to not being on the roster next year after a couple games. Lol...

It's pretty simple. Would you pay EJ 12m next year if he looked like Tyrod in the first two games this year? All about perspective. And this is all hypothetical after 2 games anyways.

Edited by The Wiz

It could happen. But a lot of other stuff has to happen.

1) Tyrod has to be injured (avert) or definitively bomb (double-avert) with enough season left to play 4-5 games (or more)

2) in those 4-5 games, he has to show that he's really advanced and improved to starting QB level

3) The Bills have to not like any QB they could realistically get at their draft slot, enough to pull the trigger

4) The Bills have to keep liking Cardale enough to think he could be The Man after another year of development

Those are a lot of stars to align, and even so, frankly, it's in EJ's best interest to see what interest there is elsewhere because he will never get a fair shake from our fans.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I think if they don't take the Tyrod option they would need another QB on the roster. If they can do a cheap 1 or 2 deal with EJ that might be better than trading a pick for a Matt Cassel type.

They will still want to draft their own guy and if a better vet becomes available later down the line they can still sign him and cut EJ similar to what they did with TJax back in 2013. They re-signed him then after Kolb was signed and they started OTAs they cut TJax.

Their likely course of action would be to sign a FA vet QB and then draft a QB to go along with Cardale. EJ re-signing with the Bills would probably only be in play only if neither could find another option. That's incredibly unlikely.

1) Tyrod has to be injured (avert) or definitively bomb (double-avert) with enough season left to play 4-5 games (or more)

2) in those 4-5 games, he has to show that he's really advanced and improved to starting QB level

3) The Bills have to not like any QB they could realistically get at their draft slot, enough to pull the trigger

4) The Bills have to keep liking Cardale enough to think he could be The Man after another year of development

Those are a lot of stars to align, and even so, frankly, it's in EJ's best interest to see what interest there is elsewhere because he will never get a fair shake from our fans.

The problem with that scenario is that EJ is a free agent after the season. The Bills would have to be his preferred option. That means there'd have to be no hard feeling about all the benching and being relegated to #2 for three straight seasons. The Bills also would have to compete for him on the open market. The odds of all that happening are incredibly long.

This. If I'm Erik Manuel, I hit FA and take the best contract I can find that's not CLE or BUF. Why would anyone want to play for this sideshow? What I didn't understand until the Roman firing was exactly how far we've fallen compared to the rest of the NFL. We're in the bottom 5 of NFL franchises to play for, and yes, that's with going 9-7 and 8-8 the last two years. EJ simply couldn't do much worse.

I agree, except for EJ Manuel as opposed to his evil Nordic twin, Erik. :D

-Just wikipedia'd and of course his frickin' name is Erik. How could I not know that? :doh:

Edited by Sakman

Their likely course of action would be to sign a FA vet QB and then draft a QB to go along with Cardale. EJ re-signing with the Bills would probably only be in play only if neither could find another option. That's incredibly unlikely.

I don't suggest it is a particularly likely scenario but I was more thinking they do it before free agency, as a safety net against not being able to get another vet (especially since there is a very limited selection of even EJ level serviceable vets due to hit FA).

You re-sign EJ with minimal guarantees. If you are able to get a better vet once FA opens you can cut EJ.. if not maybe you have to roll with him a while until someone under contract gets cut. The worst case is you open camp with an early draft pick, EJ and Cardale in another dreaded competition.

I think it is very unlikely that EJ sees the field as a Bill beyond 2016 but if Tyrod has to be released I think the chances of EJ still being on the Bills roster by say OTAs are not as slim as some might presume.

-Just wikipedia'd and of course his frickin' name is Erik. How could I not know that? :doh:

Maybe if the bills reintroduce EJ as Erik, other teams might forget his weaknesses. We could totally surprise them with his unique skillset.

Will Lynn make Tyrod more of a runner in his offense? If so, look forward to seeing EJ Manuel one more time. Besides being a great teammate, EJ seems, to me, to be a super competitive guy. I think he can make this offense a little more impactful because he CAN/WILL throw to the middle. He's becoming more of an anticipatory thrower yet he still lacks consistent accuracy. His ability to make the middle of field throws will stop the linebackers and safeties from cheating and allow Shady to get off. Hopefully Tyrod will be able to return to last years form, but if not I have confidence that EJ can do it.

Just thinking about it...

- Worst case scenario. We see more of the same from Tyrod. We don't pick up our option after this year.

- We have no QB on the roster at that point.

- Will probably need to develop a rookie behind somebody for the next year or two.

- Could sign a different vet, for the same money to a 2-3 year deal.

- EJ is already here and looking for an opportunity to start, to play for starting QB money in the near future (not that he will ever actually get that, but that is his and his agents hope)

- His best situation to start may actually be in Buffalo.

We could sign a worse journeyman/back up for more money than EJ on a 2 year deal. Thinking 2 years at 6-8 mil total gets it done. Afterwards, the draft pick takes the reigns, EJ signs his next contract with a different team.

EJ has no future as a starting QB in Buffalo. If I'm him I go to another organization where I can get a fresh start and possibly compete for a starting gig, and who knows, maybe start a few games. It's not going to happen here in Buffalo.

Yeah, as one of the few people who still has hope for EJ, he needs to move on.

I have no idea how he would be if he was in a Jimmy G type situation, but I do know his development here was a total joke.

EJ needs to go. There are multiple QBs available every year that are better than EJ (and that's saying something).

Yup Matt Cassel or Zach Mettenberger. Studs like that.

I think if the club doesn't pick up TT's option, there is a very good chance that they look to see what it would cost to keep EJ... I wouldn't be opposed to that...

I find this to be a very real possibility.. Coaching changes probably affect this. But if TT really poops himself and is rightfully let walk ( just imagining here) the next season could well think letting get the team up and running. Let know if he sucks again Bills are going to put Cardale to the fire. Incentive based contract might get EJM to bite a low ball base salary. maybe. this also suggests the team is still looking for the franchise QB.

I would so enjoy, just because that is how i think, if Manuel played Fitz decent next year.

That would crack me up. Billsian style

EJ will leave this dumpster fire of a franchise. He could hang out, stay in shape and wait for the inevitable opportunity to sign with a franchise like NE/ Brissett or Minn./ Bradford or Browns / Kessler

If he were available right now he would wanted by someone, though the Browns would be a lateral move.

He's chasing his dream... Good for him. Wish someone paid me that kinda coin to carry a tablet

EJ will leave this dumpster fire of a franchise. He could hang out, stay in shape and wait for the inevitable opportunity to sign with a franchise like NE/ Brissett or Minn./ Bradford or Browns / Kessler

If he were available right now he would wanted by someone, though the Browns would be a lateral move.

He's chasing his dream... Good for him. Wish someone paid me that kinda coin to carry a tablet

No Snark Bud. Do you really think EJ has any leverage to pick and choose at this point ?

EJ has no future as a starting QB in Buffalo. If I'm him I go to another organization where I can get a fresh start and possibly compete for a starting gig, and who knows, maybe start a few games. It's not going to happen here in Buffalo.

Why not? A new Coaching staff might do him wonders lol

Your last sentence said it all

Thats funny. Atleast you wiki'd it. Isn't his middle name luke Ramon or something