Could EJ be re-signed after the season

Mango

Just thinking about it...

- Worst case scenario. We see more of the same from Tyrod. We don't pick up our option after this year.

- We have no QB on the roster at that point.

- Will probably need to develop a rookie behind somebody for the next year or two.

- Could sign a different vet, for the same money to a 2-3 year deal.
- EJ is already here and looking for an opportunity to start, to play for starting QB money in the near future (not that he will ever actually get that, but that is his and his agents hope)

- His best situation to start may actually be in Buffalo.

We could sign a worse journeyman/back up for more money than EJ on a 2 year deal. Thinking 2 years at 6-8 mil total gets it done. Afterwards, the draft pick takes the reigns, EJ signs his next contract with a different team.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking about it...

- Worst case scenario. We see more of the same from Tyrod. We don't pick up our option after this year.

- We have no QB on the roster at that point.

- Will probably need to develop a rookie behind somebody for the next year or two.

- Could sign a different vet, for the same money to a 2-3 year deal.

- EJ is already here and looking for an opportunity to start, to play for starting QB money in the near future (not that he will ever actually get that, but that is his and his agents hope)

- His best situation to start may actually be in Buffalo.

We could sign a worse journeyman/back up for more money than EJ on a 2 year deal. Thinking 2 years at 6-8 mil total gets it done. Afterwards, the draft pick takes the reigns, EJ signs his next contract with a different team.

I'd take a wait and see approach as I do not see many other teams knocking down door for EJ at this point.

Could be. Will he be i doubt it.

After this year 1 QB remains on Roster. Jones

I agree generally. However, we have to add 2 more. 1 vet, 1 draft pick.

Here is the list of what is coming available next year, assuming we do not wheel and deal for anybody. Looking at the list, and assuming the rest of the year is a total disaster, I think this scenario is entirely plausible.

I thought about posting this same topic a few weeks earlier. I believe he has value as a backup. Say a 3 year deal for 2.5-3 million per + incentives. The issue is if he were to sign a deal like that he'd be giving up the chance to become a starter again. I think Doug would be up this this but not EJ's camp. Time will tell.

Plus lets see how things work out with Ty and the new OC.

Edited by qwksilver

I thought about posting this same topic a few weeks earlier. I believe he has value as a backup. Say a 3 year deal for 2.5-3 million per + incentives. The issue is if he were to sign a deal like that he'd be giving up the chance to become a starter again. I think Doug would be up this this but not EJ's camp. Time will tell.

isn't the going rate for quality backups 5-7 mil per now? Or are you suggesting we make that up in incentives that likely will never be achieved because his presence on the field is dependent on someone else's performance/health?

Plus lets see how things work out with Ty and the new OC.

I don't think any FO is going to hitch their wagons to Tyrod based on what we would have to pay him after this season.

EJ might not want to stay, but it could possibly be his best chance at starting in the NFL in 2017.

isn't the going rate for quality backups 5-7 mil per now? Or are you suggesting we make that up in incentives that likely will never be achieved because his presence on the field is dependent on someone else's performance/health?

I think EJ would probably end up starting next year allowing a rookie to develop for a year or two. I don't know how many situations in the league have EJ legitimately competing to be the starter. That said, the market for a veteran QB, a position we have to fill next year, the cupboards are very bare. Unless we hitch our wagons to Cousins for huge cash, and he is the guy of the future, I doubt we even sniff it.

Before you completely laugh off the EJ idea, this is the rest of the bunch scheduled to be available.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

This!

The point of the thread isn't, "See EJ is the man" or "Finally EJ is ready to take the reigns. He is just the stop gap, while we properly bring along a rookie. It could be done cheap and fulfill a temporary need for both teams.

Before you completely laugh off the EJ idea, this is the rest of the bunch scheduled to be available.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Not laughing off EJ one bit because i would like EJ on this team going forward. Hard worker, good teammate.

I just said i doubt it because i think EJ would choose elswhere

Not laughing off EJ one bit because i would like EJ on this team going forward. Hard worker, good teammate.

I just said i doubt it because i think EJ would choose elswhere

Likewise. He's a good dude, does and says all the right things. Just think he'd benefit from a clean slate elsewhere.

Of that group of possibles (assuming Cousins/Fitz are longshots), I'd probably only take Foles over EJ and even that's not conclusive.

I see it coming down to a few factors (which are mostly obvious).

1. Taylors progress and/or contract extension being picked up. If he doesn't improve, I don't think they will pick up his extension.

2. Future coaching staff. If Rex is still around, it would likely mean that TT has picked up his play (this is a guess, they could keep him even if TT lays an egg or fire Rex even if TT does do better). That being said, if Rex is no longer here, I don't know what other coaches would think of EJ and he could feel the same way and feel out FA.

3. Whether or not EJ would get a fair shot at the starting job next year. I don't doubt that he would be able to sign on with another team as a backup or even 3rd stringer if he wanted to at a very low cost to most teams but think he still wants the ability to compete for the starting position.

I'm sure there are a thousand of other scenarios that can be factored it but I feel like these are some of the most important ones. That being said, at this point, I think the brass would be more comfortable giving EJ a new contract for 2(max 3) years at low cost to get them time to "attempt to develop" another QB whether it be Jones or someone else.

Cardale Jones...

I hope we don't re-sign him so we don't have to have any more EJ threads....

It doesn't matter if we sign him back or not. There will always be threads like this. I know there were Trent and JP threads back when those two were on the team as backups. I even recall JP coming in and throwing a bomb and everyone jumping all over him finally "getting it". Knee-jerk coaches/GM's all around.

Hell, I'd bet anything that if he signs with a different team and has a game where he takes over there will be a thread about it.

Edited by The Wiz