Bring back Wade Phillips

McD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't great in Dallas either. I was one of those who screamed at him for not wearing a headset, but was also used to the playoffs. He could wear a beer helmet for all I care now.

Regardless, he's a great coordinator but an average Head Coach.

Can you name any situations where a coach got rehired by a team after being fired by a team and then led them to success?

I blame the idiots whining about Wade not wearing a headset for his departure from Buffalo.

He could have had success here if given more time. He was the last really successful coach we had.

Can you name any situations where a coach got rehired by a team after being fired by a team and then led them to success?

I blame the idiots whining about Wade not wearing a headset for his departure from Buffalo.

He could have had success here if given more time. He was the last really successful coach we had.

Lou Saban was pretty good in his 2nd Bills' stint as HC.

Why would Wade leave an easy DC job in Denver to come here? Also lateral moves aren't allowed.

They are "allowed" but only if the current employers sanction it. Teams are only obligated to release assistant coaches to interview for Head Coach positions. They are not even obligated to release position coaches to interview for Coordinator jobs.

No way Kubiak sanctions Wade to interview for another DC job. I think Wade as Head Coach would be a retrograde step, as much as I like him.

They are "allowed" but only if the current employers sanction it. Teams are only obligated to release assistant coaches to interview for Head Coach positions. They are not even obligated to release position coaches to interview for Coordinator jobs.

No way Kubiak sanctions Wade to interview for another DC job. I think Wade as Head Coach would be a retrograde step, as much as I like him.

what about an assistant HC title. along with DC?

The thing is the pony's D is looking good. Wade just won a ring. why would he leave that in this late stage of his career. He should have been hired when Maroon left and he was still unemployed. Once again kudos to bugs bunny Elway for puttng a decent staff together that won in year one.

what about an assistant HC title. along with DC?

The thing is the pony's D is looking good. Wade just won a ring. why would he leave that in this late stage of his career. He should have been hired when Maroon left and he was still unemployed. Once again kudos to bugs bunny Elway for puttng a decent staff together that won in year one.

My understanding is that the only "promotion" that the league considers should oblige a team to release a coach to interview with another team is a promotion to Head Coach.

DC Patricia from the Pats would be my choice.

Also, Tomlin was a "green" secondary coach when he took over the Steelers.

its like Madden said on his bio-pic.

When he interviewed w Al Davis as a too young assistant, Madden said to Al : "age doesnt matter. Either you're a head coach or you aint."

He will be 70 next year.

It's basically a Dick LeBeau situation IMO.......he can coach one side of the ball but being a HC is a much more complicated job.......and if he is your HC he really needs to be the DC too because he always ran a sloppy ship as a HC.

Good head coaches don't run the offense or the defense. You need to be in tune to both. Have play calls ready in your back pocket since you can obviously overrule. But knowing when to call what plays in what situation - lets hit em with a play action, or quick snap this 3rd and goal, they're running a ton of cover 2, lets hammer them over the middle, lets try and get after the qb on this 3rd down etc.. Let the coordinator call a specific play, but it's still your team - you make the final calls. You don't need to be saying the whole play to still be influencing the calls. Not to mention, you're in charge of timeouts, keeping track of the clock, challenges, depth chart, substitutions etc.

These are things you should be doing as a head coach. Not preparing for defense on the next drive, while your team is on offense. Wade is a great defensive play caller. He knows how to set up his guys for success, and creates a great defensive gameplan - but i don't think he would be great at setting up an offensive game plan. It'd be the exact problem we have with our current head c

Edited by dneveu