Is Gilmore really worth the money?

Niagara Dude

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His body of work as you explained. You must include his injury history as well. He just isn't as good as people claim. The fact that it is a contract year for him and he is regressing makes it even worse.

He is good, not great. He has 14 games left to demonstrate he is "great" and be paid accordingly. I'd say the odds of this happening are 15% or less. This secondary will be attacked mercilessly the rest of the season after the rest of the NFL saw what Fitz did to us. Gilmore probably could have gotten 11-12 mil per year easy before the season, he will most likely not see that much from Buffalo now.

He is good, not great. He has 14 games left to demonstrate he is "great" and be paid accordingly. I'd say the odds of this happening are 15% or less. This secondary will be attacked mercilessly the rest of the season after the rest of the NFL saw what Fitz did to us. Gilmore probably could have gotten 11-12 mil per year easy before the season, he will most likely not see that much from Buffalo now.

Sweet!!! I'm all for giving him 6-8 to stay here... But some team will dish out 10-12/yr... It always happens

Hell No. I was at that game. He was beaten like a rented mule. I NEVER liked his cover skills against small quick receivers,but now the bigger ones are owning him. The lack of pass rush does not help either. This team needs alot. Olbs, another cb and a Qb that gets rid of the ball quicker,see the coverage better. same old same old. Better coaching. The Pats keep rolling with less talent. Another season full of excuses.Blah,blah,blah ,blah.

He's not worth what he wants, and probably what he will come close to getting by some team...

And that's not saying he sucks because he had one bad game either...Gilmore is generally a solid CB...But he's no where near as good as the elite corners in this league...He has almost no ball skills...He does not take the ball away...And a little too often, when he has good coverage, he gives up passes he should knock down...

I'm really not too interested in seeing him come back...I think he's going to be way over-priced...If he can be had cheaper then fine...But that's not likely to happen...And this team is probably going to be at the beginning of a major re-build anyway...I don't think he'll want to stay regardless... B-)

The defense is missing so many starters it's hard to fairly assess anything. Injuries happen but the suspensions are really frustrating. Hard to believe the other guys wouldn't look better if Marcel was out there. Also the offense needs to take pressure off by sustaining drives. 3 and out doesn't cut it when the other team just rolled off a nine minute assault.

People will probably blame Rex for Gilmore's problem even though this is the type of defense Gilmore is supposed to be best at

My take on this never went over that well on this board, but I think that he was a dumb pick to begin with. I'm sorry, does he play like a #10 selection in a draft? Is this what people see when they watch Gilmore?

For the record, he isn't a BAD player. He looked a whole lot better before Rex came to town and turned the Bills DL into his version of "Dancing Without The Stars." And this would apply to any corner. When a qb has all day to throw, he will complete passes.

Did anyone see Von Miller take over the game last night? My deceased grandmother could have been playing corner and it would have made no difference. My point is that in this passing league, teams need pass rush. The Bills have good corners and no pass rush and this CAN'T work. And now, Gilmore doesn't look as if he cares.

One of 2 things will most likely happen:

1) Gilmore walks and they "fill the hole" with a first round draft choice, even if it's a top 5 pick.

2) Whaley breaks the bank and gives Gilmore whatever he wants.

I think #2 is more likely because Whaley is a worse spender than most of our ex-wives.

Sorry to rant but this truly is a mess. My vote is for Gilmore to walk, but I want it to be in a parade led by Rex, Brandon and Whaley.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I wasn't surprised. I felt he was at or near his ceiling as a 5th year player, and now the league has a year's worth of film.

Exactly my take. People usually talk about the sophomore slump. Thats what he basically is if you continue the he is "pretty much a rookie" arguement. On top of that. Tyrod was a gimmicks. He runs fast and throws far. Outside of that where were we really? He never really sustained a drive. Never showed to be methodical, never showed he could read the field. He was just a nice change of pace. Now we need him to be a qb topped with a hefty price tag. Expectations are going to be so high he will never live up

Yes. You don't judge him solely on that game. You judge him on his entire body of work. The career is worth top dollar pay.

No you pay him for what you expect to get out of him in the future, not what hes done. You use the full body of work to judge that but if you feel his best days are behind him then you dont need to pay him.

Can anyone really say this guy is worth the kind of money he and his agent thinks he should receive? Top corners make big plays and that does mean making tackles 30-40 yards down the field after you give-up a huge pass play.

Gilmore does not seem to be an elite lock down corner that other teams are afraid of attacking. The first drive against the Jets on Thursday night was a game changer (8 min drive) and he could have got us off the field on their first 3rd down opportunity.

Quincy Enunwa is the Jets #3 WR and he burned him. Great corners make a play on that ball or ones that want to paid 12-15 millon a season. I would prefer to use that kind of money on free agent pass rushing LB or DE.

Did anyone see the defensive holding penalty on Gilmore that nullified the Hughes sack and gave the Jets their first down? Was it legit?

This.

My take on this never went over that well on this board, but I think that he was a dumb pick to begin with. I'm sorry, does he play like a #10 selection in a draft? Is this what people see when they watch Gilmore?

(.......snippity dip)

Sorry to rant but this truly is a mess. My vote is for Gilmore to walk, but I want it to be in a parade led by Rex, Brandon and Whaley.

I will bring my parrot to watch your parade. And beer. And a lawnchair. Did I mention beer? I have been of the mindset that Whaley is a good talent evaluator, but I'm rapidly gaining a mindset that wants to scorch the OBD earth and spray it with roundup, then plow twice. And I'm rather surprised to find that in myself, but there we go. Hapless fans, all of us.

As far as draft picks, as a stats maven when you dig into it, it's surprising how many first round picks don't turn out to be even good players. The player is not responsible for where he was picked. If he turns into a good player, that's not a dumb pick. If he turns into a great player, bonus.

PS I could be wrong, but I think the actual contract negotiations are done under Brandon's watch by Overdorf.