Owners met with players WITHOUT Rex before Roman let go

GottaRun

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This whole thing looks like a joke and a dysfunctional Org to say the least.

The wrong man was fired for sure as Roman didn't give up nearly 500 yards of offense to the NY Jets. The Bills DC should have been fired from what I saw. How is it that a supposed defensive guru only knows how to run one defensive scheme?

How is Tyrod Taylor's development going to go when they start forcing him to make downfield throws in an attempt to open up the offense? This is still a 6th round pick we are talking about that clearly needs more on the field playing development. Now I can sorta see if people were upset that the run game stalled against the Ravens and Jets. But then it stalled in a few games last season too and the passing offense also stalled as a result in those games. What we saw this year was nothing really new. This is not a first round pick that only needed minimal development.

It looks really lame to me to fire the best OC this team has had in years. I supposed everyone is forgetting that the 2015 Bills led the league in rushing, in big plays and finished that season 12th in points and 13th in yards and did that with basically a first year starting QB. You would need to go back to 2002 to better those stats and that was one year with Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

EDIT** Oh Yea,

Buffalo has become the NFL’s Dysfunction Junction in recent days, with a new nugget emerging virtually every hour painting the team as a clown show.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/18/report-greg-roman-was-fired-right-after-posing-for-team-photo/

With the Bills again marred by injuries and suspensions, many quadrants of the organization have already gone into "survival mode," as one team source put it, trying to build the case with ownership as to why they aren't part of the problem.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-ownership-not-considering-other-staff-changes-after-greg-roman-firing/

Hmmm, I wonder who this could be referring to?

Edited by Nihilarian

Rex Ryan -- the coach who said the decision to fire Roman two games into the season was "my move, without question" -- was not present for these meetings. He wasn't in the room. Ryan also wasn't pleased when he learned of the nature of them, according to one source briefed on his thinking.

Remember way-back-when, the stories about Pegula's management style and management team he was putting together, and the Pegulas, Ryan, and Whaley were all "quasi-equals?"

Yeah...that's how this works, when you don't have a defined hierarchical chain of command. I don't know if Ryan's pissed or not...but he shouldn't be, since this is supposed to be how it works.

Remember way-back-when, the stories about Pegula's management style and management team he was putting together, and the Pegulas, Ryan, and Whaley were all "quasi-equals?"

Yeah...that's how this works, when you don't have a defined hierarchical chain of command. I don't know if Ryan's pissed or not...but he shouldn't be, since this is supposed to be how it works.

I believe that part of the story has been debunked. Apparently while not there. Rex was aware of Pegulas meetings. On NFLN though they did say neither owner went down to the locker room postgame. Which was described as unusual for the Pegulas.

This whole thing looks like a joke and a dysfunctional Org to say the least.

The wrong man was fired for sure as Roman didn't give up nearly 500 yards of offense to the NY Jets. The Bills DC should have been fired from what I saw. How is it that a supposed defensive guru only knows how to run one defensive scheme?

How is Tyrod Taylor's development going to go when they start forcing him to make downfield throws in an attempt to open up the offense? This is still a 6th round pick we are talking about that clearly needs more on the field playing development. Now I can sorta see if people were upset that the run game stalled against the Ravens and Jets. But then it stalled in a few games last season too and the passing offense also stalled as a result in those games. What we saw this year was nothing really new. This is not a first round pick that only needed minimal development.

It looks really lame to me to fire the best OC this team has had in years. I supposed everyone is forgetting that the 2015 Bills led the league in rushing, in big plays and finished that season 12th in points and 13th in yards and did that with basically a first year starting QB. You would need to go back to 2002 to better those stats and that was one year with Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

EDIT** Oh Yea,

Buffalo has become the NFL’s Dysfunction Junction in recent days, with a new nugget emerging virtually every hour painting the team as a clown show.[/size]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/18/report-greg-roman-was-fired-right-after-posing-for-team-photo/

It seems something like this. The owners are not happy with the offense, going back to last season. Certain problem areas continued this season. They hired Rex Ryan and therefore knew an entirely different defense would be coming with him, and some current players would not be a fit. In short, there would be an adjustment period. Apparently the Pegulas were fine with this as they hired Ryan, not Jim Schwartz. Perhaps they were also satisfied with the defense heavy draft this year to address the defensive concerns. I'm not defending Ryan, but he obviously is not going to fire himself. He also is not going to fire the DC because in reality, that guy is just doing what Rex wants him to. He's running Rex's defense. So Rex says " I'm responsible for the D and I'll fix it " to the Pegulas. He decides that the O isn't going to change under Romans direction so fired him and goes in another direction. The D was terrible vs the Jets. The O has stunk in both games this year and something needed to change. I still think it's mostly on the QB , but we'll see. If the owners aren't happy with the O, changes will be made. It's up to them when to do something about Rex or not.

I believe that part of the story has been debunked. Apparently while not there. Rex was aware of Pegulas meetings. On NFLN though they did say neither owner went down to the locker room postgame. Which was described as unusual for the Pegulas.

You know damn well that nothing is ever debunked on the internet.

It seems something like this. The owners are not happy with the offense, going back to last season. Certain problem areas continued this season. They hired Rex Ryan and therefore knew an entirely different defense would be coming with him, and some current players would not be a fit. In short, there would be an adjustment period. Apparently the Pegulas were fine with this as they hired Ryan, not Jim Schwartz. Perhaps they were also satisfied with the defense heavy draft this year to address the defensive concerns. I'm not defending Ryan, but he obviously is not going to fire himself. He also is not going to fire the DC because in reality, that guy is just doing what Rex wants him to. He's running Rex's defense. So Rex says " I'm responsible for the D and I'll fix it " to the Pegulas. He decides that the O isn't going to change under Romans direction so fired him and goes in another direction. The D was terrible vs the Jets. The O has stunk in both games this year and something needed to change. I still think it's mostly on the QB , but we'll see. If the owners aren't happy with the O, changes will be made. It's up to them when to do something about Rex or not.

To take what Boat said one step further....I equivilate it to a mechanic trying to figure out a energy drain problem in a car......before you completely rewire the thing that is gonna require thousands to fix....you first replace fuses.....then the battery......and so on and so on to see if THAT is not the problem first.

I disagree they knew full well that Rex would bring in an entire new defense. Even Rex after being hired bragged about the front 4. Pegula, Brandon, Whaley and especially Rex sold the team last year as playoff ready. Sure you expect changes but to think Rex sat there and said we will regress until I Get my players. He would never had got the job. The offense has been a clusterf***k for 16 years. so no change there. I would expect not a lot of change either. Lynn has to work with what he has.

BREAKING NEWS

Owner pays $1.4 Billion for company and speaks to some of his employees.

The horror.

Seriously. I'm old enough to remember when everyone here was thankful for the Pegulas keeping the team in Buffalo.

Now he's a laughingstock and noone would want to take his millions to play or coach here.

Dear whiners, please ensure you collect all your tears in an airtight container and send them to The Buffalo News attention: Timmah Graham. He drinks them to stay alive during the week.

That is all.

I disagree they knew full well that Rex would bring in an entire new defense. Even Rex after being hired bragged about the front 4. Pegula, Brandon, Whaley and especially Rex sold the team last year as playoff ready. Sure you expect changes but to think Rex sat there and said we will regress until I Get my players. He would never had got the job. The offense has been a clusterf***k for 16 years. so no change there. I would expect not a lot of change either. Lynn has to work with what he has.

I think they had to know that a totally different defense was coming. That's what happens when you bring in a new HC that is a defensive guy and you are running the opposite system than he does. Can't imagine the Pegulas didn't know Rex is a 3-4 guy. Now, I doubt Ryan sold it as a potential regression, just that it would be different. If the owners are smart, they would not be surprised by some kind of adjustment and possibly a step back. If they were concerned about that, Schwartz would be the head coach. You don't run a 4-3 then hire a 3-4 head coach with the thought that he will run a 4-3. They obviously weren't concerned . The organization may have sold

themselves as a playoff ready team, but not sure why anyone would buy it. The team had no QB, and Brady / Belichick still rules the East . The bold talk was hyperbole to anyone paying attention. I wasn't surprised at the defense last year as I thought Rex will run a 3-4, the Bills probably don't have the LBs needed to run it, and Mario threw a hissy fit in Houston when asked to be in a 3-4. Can't imagine the owners or FO at OBD didn't suspect this as well.

Seriously. I'm old enough to remember when everyone here was thankful for the Pegulas keeping the team in Buffalo.

Now he's a laughingstock and noone would want to take his millions to play or coach here.

Dear whiners, please ensure you collect all your tears in an airtight container and send them to The Buffalo News attention: Timmah Graham. He drinks them to stay alive during the week.

That is all.

That's a simplistic conflation of the issue.

You can be glad Pegula bought the team and kept it in Buffalo and be critical of his ownership style and perceived missteps.

Edited by jmc12290

Can you put together a list?

Here is the FO and such. Tried to find hire dates but nothing is coming up and wasn't going to search each one individually. Besides Brandon and Whaley I believe that Jim Overdorf, Scott Berchold, Jim Monos and probably other scouts and officers have been here before the Pegulas. Bottom line is these guys have not done a good job putting a winning team on the Field with Russ being the main reason Rex is here and Whaley has not found a QB nor brought in other QBs (besides Cardale) to challenge fearing it would hinder the starter along with poor overall offensive talent. The Jerome Felton move REEKS of Ralphism where instead of putting the best team on the field you cut him to save money only to bring him back so you don't have to guarantee his whole salary for the yr just for a couple bucks? Pathetic.

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

I think they had to know that a totally different defense was coming. That's what happens when you bring in a new HC that is a defensive guy and you are running the opposite system than he does. Can't imagine the Pegulas didn't know Rex is a 3-4 guy. Now, I doubt Ryan sold it as a potential regression, just that it would be different. If the owners are smart, they would not be surprised by some kind of adjustment and possibly a step back. If they were concerned about that, Schwartz would be the head coach. You don't run a 4-3 then hire a 3-4 head coach with the thought that he will run a 4-3. They obviously weren't concerned . The organization may have sold

themselves as a playoff ready team, but not sure why anyone would buy it. The team had no QB, and Brady / Belichick still rules the East . The bold talk was hyperbole to anyone paying attention. I wasn't surprised at the defense last year as I thought Rex will run a 3-4, the Bills probably don't have the LBs needed to run it, and Mario threw a hissy fit in Houston when asked to be in a 3-4. Can't imagine the owners or FO at OBD didn't suspect this as well.

Well maybe that's why they wanted to keep Schwartz to ease the transition.