God Bless Sully

Rico

I get a kick on the constant and almost weekly threads devoted to Sullivan. for years now. And no doubt he reads them and loves it.

He is not the first and won't be the last columnist to have this writng style. Why? because it drives people nuts, sells papers, and generates clicks.but more importantly for him it is a source of income. for the few that "refuse" to read his stuff I can say this you are in the minority. Why? a LOT of fans know he is right. A lot of fans like the controversy he generates with almost every article he prints. A lot of fans dislike him but read his stuff all the time. then they start silly threads and unknowingly promote his dribble.

I can care less either way. I read his stuff like most people. A few years ago maybe as far back as Trent Edwards. Sullivan was tweeting from the booth at the Ralph during games. I followed him too see what he would put out there.I will say this about his gameday tweets back then. And I have no idea if he still does it. But Sulivan was as big of a Bills homer as any of the hall of fame homers who grace this board. He was positive and rooted big time for his team the Buffaloy yBills. it was a stark contrast to his BN articles.

Among others using this writing style.Maybe he stole his routine from a guy named Joel Selvin. who was a San Francisco music critic. He was one of the first too make a good living chitting on people mainly rock musicans. their shows, their albums they always sucked. He was hated but on page 1 of the entertainment section every day. Today he is a best selling author. I take Sullivan for exactly what he is entertainment writng for a small city rag.

I expect no less than 10 more sully threads till this season of pain mercifully ends after week 17. I am sure Sully thanks all of the people that contribute to his legacy. For the record I may read his dribble I never said I agree. I am amazed watching men on a message board get their panty's in a wad over a opinion writer. But give medicore talent like Whaley a pass year after year. And brag about all the talent on the roster that Whaley brought in. There are threads on either page 1 oe 2 on this forum right now that accurately name this talent/players. in reality it is not as good as it looks like on paper. The teams record every year prove it.Oops forgot the Bills are the only team in the NFL that deal with the injury bug excuse.

Let it go. the guy in regards to the Bills on the field play is right way more than he is wrong. Is he disliked on OBD? nope he is effin hated there and he knows it. are his takes on owners, coaches, etc. sometmes spiteful? yep because he is a douche and knows how to piss people off. Because that's how he earns his paychecks.

Fwiw, Selvin just published a great book on Altamont.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sully is Sully. if I saw balanced reporting from the guy over the last decade then his negative rants might mean something...But Sully to me is a pure ax grinder, His style is nothing more than in your face negativity... Although we've had a rough run his style the entire time is just boring.

I never read him anymoe and I never will again.. I'm more than capable of being upset with the product on my own terms then to listen to the same old tired rant from a half assed journalist with no ability to write anything with real substance... Any person here could do what Sully does. I mean I can put on a page long rant of negativity 5 days a week if you like, but that would get boring and tiring for me and you

Sully and Gleason are trolls, nothing more. No doubt the current eras of the Sabres and Bills are target rich for critics. And the new owners have made their share of mistakes. A semi-skilled writer could offer insight into what's going on with the team and write some good articles.

These guys don't do that though. Instead of offering a clue why Ryan's defense isn't working (maybe compare it to Rob's Saints defense), they call Rex a blowhard and take other easy potshots.

And every article they write about the Pegulas reads like a crackpot conspiracy theory.

It's difficult to not be critical of the Bills organization over the past few years, but maybe the professional writers could leave the hysteria, cheap insults, and tinfoil hat conspiracies to the Internet, and conduct themselves with some dignity and class.

Sully is a talented guy but he doesn't even remotely write the truth. And he knows it.

Not saying Roman deserved to be fired but I'm also not saying he didn't deserve to be fired. Sounds like the Pegula's did their due diligence by interviewing players one-on-one. And it sounds like the players on offense weren't thrilled with how they were being coached. Therefore the Pegula's were fully on board with Rex's decision as they should have been.

You can be against this move all you want but it was obvious that Roman's offense had many flaws (Sammy not being involved enough, for one). And it regressed horribly from last year in the first two games. Not to mention Roman's play-calling was a huge weakness. The wasted timeout and 4th and inches play call midway through the 4th quarter was a fireable offense in and of itself. Add in the fact that the players preferred a change in direction on that side of the ball and I'm fully on board with the move.

And if it doesn't work out then the entire staff will be let go at the end of the season anyway.

I seriously can't see why anyone would be upset by this.

The BN writers will heap on praise when they have a big win (yes, even Sully & Gleason) and they do point out in the game break-down's what they did right (as well as wrong). But when everything goes to hell in a hand basket? You better believe that the Buffalo sports media is going to let it be known...their job isn't to sugar coat the fact that the Bills are awful.

It's like the poster said when he referenced the Browns and what a joke they are to the league and that we need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Guess what? All NFL fans think the same way about the Bills...as well they should - because why? Because they ARE a joke!

Can't you tell that even the almighty Vic Carruci writes as though he's about ready to throw in the towel? Good Lord...going from Buffalo (to NFL. com) to Cleveland and then back to Buffalo? It's a wonder the guy isn't hanging from the rafters by now! :cry:

Edited by Bacchus44

The BN writers will heap on praise when they have a big win (yes, even Sully & Gleason) and they do point out in the game break-down's what they did right (as well as wrong). But when everything goes to hell in a hand basket? You better believe that the Buffalo sports media is going to let it be known...their job isn't to sugar coat the fact that the Bills are awful.

It's like the poster said when he referenced the Browns and what a joke they are to the league and that we need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Guess what? All NFL fans think the same way about the Bills...as well they should - because why? Because they ARE a joke!

Can't you tell that even the almighty Vic Carruci writes as though he's about ready to throw in the towel? Good Lord...going from Buffalo (to NFL. com) to Cleveland and then back to Buffalo? It's a wonder the guy isn't hanging from the rafters by now! :cry:

😂😂😂😂😂

Calling this firing out as cowardly and scapegoating is spot on.

Rex not only is a bad coach now, he sort of looks like a d-bag too.

The sooner they fire him, the sooner they can start the next reboot. what's the point of waiting?

My thoughts as well.

Rex is yesterday. We need tomorrow. The sooner we start the painful job of rebuilding the entire organization correctly, the better.

Bills_Chick @Bills_Chick 5m5 minutes ago

omg @TBNSully just made the Ville Leino : Tyrod Taylor analogy #OhSnap

0 retweets 0 likes

Sully must think that Buffalo sports fans have no memory. As I recall, he was pushing the TT must get paid narrative since the end of year press conference. I am too lazy to look up the audio of that, but I recall him asking questions pushing that narrative.

hes been saying this team is terrible for years. He's expressed his opinions about EJ, Dareus, Stevie, Fitz, Etc...

He's actually ALWAYS been right. For years we've hated him because we have rose colored glasses on. But in reality, he's always been right all along.

It sucks to say that. And I'm sure it sucks just as much to hear it. But sit back and think about all the times you hated Sully for what he's said. But the fact is we have sucked for the past 16 years and he's been right about that as far as I can remember

If you do look at Sully's articles over the years he has been dead on about most of them. Sad but true. It is just hard to comprehend that the team we all love so much has been such a dysfunctional mess since Kelly retired.

No. He just blames everyone. He doesn't explain anything. He doesn't know anything.

^this. There's a lot of people who will just blame everyone and then when something goes wrong, they'll be there to say, "SEE!" I blamed that guy. Sully is one of those guys. Doesn't contribute anything except giving an echo chamber to the dim.

If you do look at Sully's articles over the years he has been dead on about most of them. Sad but true. It is just hard to comprehend that the team we all love so much has been such a dysfunctional mess since Kelly retired.

Been dead-on about what? "We suck?" Gee, that's tough...considering we've sucked for ALL of this MILLENNIUM so far.

Sully's not a reporter. He writes opinion pieces. He's not "right' or "wrong" about much of anything, since he doesn't relate facts. Only rants.

. . . . since he doesn't relate facts. Only rants.

You are correct. There is nothing factual about Sullen's columns. They are more rants (really, just repeated rants that are pre-prepared).

P.S. Every time I see the heading "God Bless Sully" - it reminds me that it is likely that the only time I will ever think to ask God to bless Sully is when he goes to the great whinge factory in the sky . . . . In the meantime, God, please bless Sully's family, colleagues, friends (if he has one other than Bucky), and those of us who read his columns or hear his voice at a press conference . . . .

Edited by Peter