God Bless Sully

Rico

His first time that Ive seen. Even a blind squirrel...

hes been saying this team is terrible for years. He's expressed his opinions about EJ, Dareus, Stevie, Fitz, Etc...

He's actually ALWAYS been right. For years we've hated him because we have rose colored glasses on. But in reality, he's always been right all along.

It sucks to say that. And I'm sure it sucks just as much to hear it. But sit back and think about all the times you hated Sully for what he's said. But the fact is we have sucked for the past 16 years and he's been right about that as far as I can remember

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hes been saying this team is terrible for years. He's expressed his opinions about EJ, Dareus, Stevie, Fitz, Etc...

He's actually ALWAYS been right. For years we've hated him because we have rose colored glasses on. But in reality, he's always been right all along.

It sucks to say that. And I'm sure it sucks just as much to hear it. But sit back and think about all the times you hated Sully for what he's said. But the fact is we have sucked for the past 16 years and he's been right about that as far as I can remember

How does that make you feel? I'm asking because I have the same thoughts....

I just don't know how we are so misguided as fans every year. We always get mad when the press give the bills "no respect" and tells us they will basically suck every year for the past 15 or so years. We always believe they don't know what they are talking about or don't give us a fair shake. The truth is the Pete Priscos of the world are right and we are the insane ones.

For gods sake even deion sanders and all the other commentators who watched probably 20 minutes of bills games the last 5 years told us we were getting beat thursday. But no, we all thought they were just sleeping on the bills like we think they do every year. We are looked at by the masses the way we look at the browns. We know they are a total joke every year, but somehow don't realize what is standing right in front of our face every year. The team we bother reading mini camp reviews and watching every meaningless preseason game.

Eventually we will make the playoffs again, but it won't be when we were right and everyone else was wrong.

Edited by Estelle Getty

Have to laugh at the pollyannas who get so worked up at the press who write negative things about the Bills. It's not the press' job to be cheerleaders, and when a team goes 16 (soon to be 17) years w/o making the playoffs, any objective member of the press who ignores the perpetual dysfunction of the team would be laughed out of journalism. It's not Sullivan's fault that Rex is a terrible coach (no one who liked the Ryan hire has any right to be upset with anyone who thought otherwise), or that the team is at the very best mediocre. I realize how frustrating it is to be a Bills' fan, believe me, other than the mid-60's and the Super Bowl years it has been pretty slim picking for the Bills.

The man does make a few good points. More specifically the Bills defense allowed a massive amount of offense in on Thursday night football and the HC fires the OC the next day :doh:

Do we Bills fans now trust these owners on any future hire they make? The league wanted them to hire a czar which would have been a wise move given their inexperience in running an NFL franchise and instead they were swayed by Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley into thinking that they had the chops to hire the right guy. Russ Brandon said, "you will know who to hire after you talk with all the candidates." And they were conned by the best con man out there. They got it all wrong in hiring a bad HC that was fired at his ls job for going 4-12. Remember those numbers because that might be what this team ends this season with!

I can tell you what will happen next because it's happened before on Rex Ryan teams with young inexperienced QB's. Now that Tyrod had his one year of playing in a run first team this new OC at Ryan's behest will force Tyrod to start throwing downfield a whole lot more and I can only hazard that either he develops into a top QB very quickly or he is ruined like Geno and Sanchez. More interceptions, more sacks, more bad throws with ultimately a young QB with his confidence destroyed.

This move does remind me of 2009 and Bills HC Dick Jauron firing Bills OC Turk Schonert two weeks before the opener only to see Jauron himself fired after 9 games.

Sully lives for days like this where he can bray "I told you so." It's hard to take his columns seriously because he revealed himself as having a hard on for Terry & Kim from day one. So he has an inherent bias before he puts one word to paper.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sully lives for days like this where he can bray "I told you so." It's hard to take his columns seriously because he revealed himself as having a hard on for Terry & Kim from day one. So he has an inherent bias before he puts one word to paper.

So you're mad at him because he could predict how it would play out.

Which 4 ya think we got a shot at?

1. San Fran will be the Bills their first win, in week 6 on October 16, if they overcome the dramatically poor coaching and preparation. The Bills will be 1-5.

2. Jacksonville at home on November 27. ( Bills are then 2-9; not sure who the coach is at this point, but it won't be Ryan.)

3. Cleveland Browns on December 18, and the Bills are 3-11.

4. If all goes well, they will win again against the Dolphins on December 24th, a depressingly grim and cynical Merry Christmas gift for Bills fan, as the Bills go 4-11.

And our beloved Bills will finish at 4-12 after their loss to the Jets on the first day of 2017. Happy New Year.

Outside chance: Another give us hope for the future win against the Patriots on November 30.

I am not sure at what point in this process Rex will be fired, but I am convinced he will be fired before the mid point in the season, as his gross incompetence, laziness, cronyism, and lack of dedication become more apparent with every loss, every game, in which the Bills clearly are not prepared.

Edited by Mister Defense

... but he's mostly right.

Maybe. Or maybe he's mostly wrong. Maybe Rex isn't scapegoating his OC and "throwing him under the bus" when the real problem is defense.

The offense was clearly the problem in Week 1 and, while the O scored enough points to win in Week 2, their inability to convert 3rd downs to sustain drives and abysmal game management didn't do the defense any favors and didn't do enough for the win when there were signs that they could have, given some better game management/play calling.

I lack confidence that firing Roman will really fix anything, and clearly the D has its own schematic problems. But I'm rather disgusted by the investigation- and content-free media coverage which paints this as a scapegoating or some conspiracy theory of Rex to save his job, or something he was forced into by the Pegulas (don't those two theories contradict?). The bar for media coverage is dreadfully low.

There have been signs all along that Roman was a problem. The "fire Greg Roman" Facebook page from 49ers fans. The failure of Kaep to develop and concurrent fall-off in the 49ers O during Roman's last year. The abysmal 3rd down conversion rate, lack of hurry-up offense, and misuse of timeouts last season. The comments about the poor design of the passing offense from offensively-knowledgeable commentators last season (Dilfer, Billick, and Simms). It was not difficult for me to turn these up in about 3 google searches under 2 minutes, and several were collated in places totally obscure to Sully such as TBN articles with Ty Dunne's byline (note: that's sarcasm). Then there's the apparent failure to improve on any of those counts shown in the first 2 games and the lack of development by Tyrod Taylor.

There were little hints in Rex Ryan's oh-so-politically-correct laudatory presser about Roman's firing - when asked if he had concern over Tyrod's development, Rex said some laudatory stuff that doesn't mean much but then at the end: "He has some unique abilities and I think we kind of need to focus on those strengths and also try to develop what we perceive as a weakness I think. Instead of talking about it, we need to develop some of those, give him an opportunity to be better and I believe he will"

Instead of talking about it. We need to focus on strengths and try to develop. There it is folks, that's pretty plain when you cut through all the laudatory BS - Ryan is saying pretty plainly that he perceived Roman as failing to play-call to Tyrod's strengths and only giving lip service to the need to develop him, not actually developing him. Put that together with Dilfer's off-season comments to Ty Dunne "The tape tells him one thing: Taylor could use better teaching." "There are a lot of guys who have coached and have ‘OC’ by their name—it doesn’t mean they can teach. Usually you can tell if a quarterback’s being developed right by what his eyes and feet are doing. That offense doesn’t have a real flow to the passing game. The feet and the eyes don’t always match what’s going on downfield. That’s not a Tyrod Taylor issue. That’s a coaching issue.”

It seems entirely consistent with the totality of the evidence available that Roman's firing was for cause. It's may have been laid out for Roman in the offseason "these are the areas where we expect change and improvement from you". When none was evident the first 2 games, it's plausible that Ryan called in Roman, pointed out the lack of improvement and asked him to explain how he would actually change going forward, and was told to butt out and mind his own show (the D). (I think this is plausible because of the reports that Roman told someone he considered Rex a "buffoon". People with big egos ie, the highest paid OC in the NFL, don't react well to being called out by "buffoon" bosses). Since Rex is accountable for the O as well as D and his neck is on the line, he would have little choice at that point but to get out the axe and try what "addition by subtraction" might achieve.

But Sully and the other press piranhas don't bother to dig around a bit and see if there are pieces to put together, because it doesn't fit their narrative about scapegoats and bus-throwing.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I actually applaud the Pegulas if they came up with the notion that scoring on long bombs is "unsustainable" from week to week. Because other than the planned one to Goodwin and the scramble to Salas, the O was pretty poor and disheveled the first two weeks.

Sully made his point but I disagree with some of it

I went into this season with low expectations after having high expectations last year. Most so called experts and sports writers have predicted that the Bills would not be a strong team this year, and so far they are correct. It is early and things can change, but I don't think we have the coaching or the talent to turn it around enough where we end up 10-6 or better (not with our schedule), which is what we may need to make the playoffs.

I have faith that the Pegulas will get it right, but the Bills have been terrible over the last 16+ years and experts/writers/fans have every right to be negative until there is some objective evidence that things are improving, such as a better won/loss record. I know that we still will watch every game and support our team, but at this point, it is more than reasonable to have serious doubts about this team, the coaches and the front office.

Eventually? 16 years going on 17.

thisbisbwjere I'm at. At some point you just have to get past the hatred for Sully for expressing his pessimism towards the team, and just realize that he's right. Has been right. And u fortunately, is showing to be right all the time. It's not just about the Bills records over the years, it's about coaches, players, FO, etc.

It really hurts me to say it because I hate that Boston prick

The fact that Ryan and the rest of his cronies also need to go is beside the point. That will come.

Sorry, but I must respectfully completely disagree with the above.

Beside the point? Really? Brandon hired Whaley and Rex who are both incompetent. I think that this is beyond question. Brandon is a huckster along the lines of a barker at a cheap travelling carnival. He didn't hire Rex to win football games as much as to be a ticket selling blowhard. Remember he said we would be "bullies," and the team went down more than 60% in sacks? Bullies?

Whaley and Rex are simply awful at what they do. Imo, neither will ever serve again in their current capacities. Who in their right mind would want them? Well, Brandon did and they all need to be fired.

Hey, jmo.

What is it that you want him to say? Seriously Promo, and I am not trying to be combative. What do you really think he should say after 17 years of bad management. Even you implied the other day that this team sucks.