Questions I would love a reporter to ask Rex

BillsLux

I have put together 4 questions that I would love a reporter to ask Rex. If you have any to add or changes to mine, please go ahead.

1. Given the current trend towards passing, partly due to the way football is officiated, why do you continue to run a conservative offense? Scanning games on the NFL ticket makes it apparent that we are playing a different game then everyone else. We seem all bunched up at the line of scrimmage, sometimes with a multiple back set, while other teams have more receivers spread across the field?
  2. On second and long situations, you seem to predominantly run the ball. I assume that’s based on the “manageable 3rd down and short theory” stating the probability is low of making a first down in a third down and long situation. Unfortunately, this theory distorts decision making on second down. The statistics that I’ve never heard, which would actually be helpful when deciding play selection on second down, is what the probability of getting a first down is if I throw on second and third down, as opposed to running on 2nd and throwing on 3rd down. I would bet that the chances of getting a first down are greater when you run first. There is also the added benefit of more yardage too.
  3. Over the last few years, books have been written about punting in 4th down situations, based on statistics. Basically, given the chances of success, along with the impact or lack thereof of the 30-40 yd change of field position, statistician’s believe a team should rarely punt. A high school team in Texas has even become state champions without ever punting. Have you ever read about this? Has it influenced a decision that you’ve ever made? Did it cross your mind as you punted on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter against Baltimore?
  4. Over the course of the game, the clock is always on the side of one team and against the other team. This obviously becomes much more apparent near the end of the game with one team in the lead. The losing team should always be hoping for more possessions, since that increases the possibility of more scores. When your team is losing, do you implore your players and coaches to move quicker between plays in say the 3rd quarter, or do you only wait until the last few minutes of the game?
Edited by BillsLux

I have put together 4 questions that I would love a reporter to ask Rex. If you have any to add or changes to mine, please go ahead.

1. Given the current trend towards passing, partly due to the way football is officiated, why do you continue to run a conservative office? Scanning games on the NFL ticket makes it apparent that we are playing a different game then everyone else. We seem all bunched up at the line of scrimmage, sometimes with a multiple back set, while other teams have more receivers spread across the field?
  2. On second and long situations, you seem to predominantly run the ball. I assume that’s based on the “manageable 3rd down and short theory” stating the probability is low of making a first down in a third down and long situation. Unfortunately, this theory distorts decision making on second down. The statistics that I’ve never heard, which would actually be helpful when deciding play selection on second down, is what the probability of getting a first down is if I throw on second and third down, as opposed to running on 2nd and throwing on 3rd down. I would bet that the chances of getting a first down are greater when you run first. There is also the added benefit of more yardage too.
  3. Over the last few years, books have been written about punting in 4th down situations, based on statistics. Basically, given the chances of success, along with the impact or lack thereof of the 30-40 yd change of field position, statistician’s believe a team should rarely punt. A high school team in Texas has even become state champions without ever punting. Have you ever read about this? Has it influenced a decision that you’ve ever made? Did it cross your mind as you punted on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter against Baltimore?
  4. Over the course of the game, the clock is always on the side of one team and against the other team. This obviously becomes much more apparent near the end of the game with one team in the lead. The losing team should always be hoping for more possessions, since that increases the possibility of more scores. When your team is losing, do you implore your players and coaches to move quicker between plays in say the 3rd quarter, or do you only wait until the last few minutes of the game?

His answer

"You do realize that Greg Roman has been to offensive coordinator of a team that has made several playoff runs to include NFC Championships....so obviously it works"

I stopped reading at conservative office

In the effort to occasionally add value to the board...

The point here is Rex's voice in any aspect of the offense is questionable, perhaps even non-existent. Roman is who you need to skewer there... Nice topic to OP

Id love to ask, now that the entire league knows to drop a safety deep over Sammy, stack the box, surrender the middle and try to pin Tyrod in the pocket, what the hell are you going to do to avoid a 4-12 season???

You might want to figure it out HEAD COACH... Because that's your biggest problem right now, even though it's not about defense. I'm still not convinced the d is actually good, but we all know it's not good enough to win with that type of offensive output.

He has been asked similar questions. Listen to his interview on wgr yesterday. He was mentioning how he told Roman multiple times last year to do what John Fox did by going for two at the end of the Raiders-Saints game Sunday if the situation presented itself. Does anyone actually believe that? By my count, the only time they even had the opportunity was against the patriots on monday night.

He'll say what you want to hear, but his actions on game day contradict his answers. The guy claims to be a straight shooter, but he's completely full of horse manure.

Edited by QB Bills

He has been asked similar questions. Listen to his interview on wgr yesterday. He was mentioning how he told Roman multiple times last year to do what John Fox did by going for two at the end of the Raiders-Saints game Sunday if the situation presented itself. Does anyone actually believe that? By my count, the only time they even had the opportunity was against the patriots on monday night.

He'll say what you want to hear, but his actions on game day contradict his answers. The guy claims to be a straight shooter, but he's completely full of horse manure.

John Fox? Did Rex actually say that? Jack DelRio is the Raiders coach.

John Fox? Did Rex actually say that? Jack DelRio is the Raiders coach.

That's the one thing in that post you focus on? That was the poster's mistake, not Rex's. And it was a pretty decent interview, right around 5pm. Check it out. He talks about the strategy for 2nd and 10 as well.

I was driving so I could be wrong, but the way I heard it, he was talking about how you prepare for that going into games where you believe it will be a shoot-out. Like playing the Saints.

If you are playing against a high-powered offense, and are down 1 at the end of the game, you go for two and the win over trying to take it to OT where you probably wont stop the Offense from putting points up.

That's how I heard it anyways.

Not that they were in real-game situations and he told Roman to do that. Rather, they PREPARED for it. Much like the Raiders were prepared for it.

Edited by DrDareustein