To be fair to Tyrod.....

Bill from NYC

I don't buy the Harbaugh and Baltimore familiarity. There were a handful of designed plays early on that would have neutered the defensive plan. TT just didn't have the same awareness in the first quarter and that was it for the game.

What might you suggest caused this?

He played scared even with a pocket.

maybe he had the flu? affluenza Or maybe he just had a piss poor game and thats the end of that.

Somewhat competent qb play probably would've won the game about 27-13.

Its certainly possible. But Ravens surely could have turned the wick up second half

One thing that keeps driving me crazy about Tyro is that I have heard him in several interviews talking about taking with the defense gives you. I want him to create opportunities and find ways to get the ball to the play makers even if the defense is not "giving it to you".

I do not know if this is a scripted response, but likely is.

we both agree, Taylor needs to dictate the game not wait for the big mistake to exploit. Too much parity in the league to think that might be a method of winning. Survival? Perhaps. Winning ? Hardly.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't touch Saban with a ten foot poll. He is so set in his ways dealing with college KIDS, that I think he would be out of touch dealing with established vets after so many years at Alabama. Not to mention his age.

I'll pass, and I think so would he. He has the world by the balls at Alabama. Boosters lapping up his every word, recruits tripping over each other to sign there, perennial powerhouse, etc...

He'd be nuts to even give it 5 seconds of consideration.

I'm not so sure about Saban either as it's a huge leap from the college ranks to the NFL and others like Harbaugh and Carroll have made the move well. I dunno If I'd rather have Bill Cowher and offer him the 10 mill per as that man actually knows talent when he sees it and he certainly would fix the penalty problems and defense. (he is 55)

On a different note, I gotta wonder why so many fans are ready to bail on Tyrod after one bad game. We saw this same QB play at times during the games last year when the run game didn't work very well. And when the run game is working well it opens up the passing game. Jeez, stop and think about how much preseason play the kid got to realize he needs more game experience.

I'm not so sure about Saban either as it's a huge leap from the college ranks to the NFL and others like Harbaugh and Carroll have made the move well. I dunno If I'd rather have Bill Cowher and offer him the 10 mill per as that man actually knows talent when he sees it and he certainly would fix the penalty problems and defense. (he is 55)

On a different note, I gotta wonder why so many fans are ready to bail on Tyrod after one bad game. We saw this same QB play at times during the games last year when the run game didn't work very well. And when the run game is working well it opens up the passing game. Jeez, stop and think about how much preseason play the kid got to realize he needs more game experience.

I'm with you on the preseason reps. Many say it's unnecessary but you can see how rusty both QBs were in Baltimore. Flacco wasn't sharp for long stretches in the 2nd half. Tyrod missed high all game.

Expect a much better game from #5 this week. Especially since it's hard to run on NY.

What might you suggest caused this?

He played scared even with a pocket.

maybe he had the flu? affluenza Or maybe he just had a piss poor game and thats the end of that.

There are many ways to have a bad game. He could have aired the ball out 40 times and came away with no TDs and 5 INTs. Or he could have never thrown the ball more than 10 yards in the air, and preferred to dump it off for two yards or sail it over the receivers' heads with no pressure in sight.

He was definitely more jittery than I've seen him in a Buffalo uniform. Maybe you know the reason why.

There are many ways to have a bad game. He could have aired the ball out 40 times and came away with no TDs and 5 INTs. Or he could have never thrown the ball more than 10 yards in the air, and preferred to dump it off for two yards or sail it over the receivers' heads with no pressure in sight.

He was definitely more jittery than I've seen him in a Buffalo uniform. Maybe you know the reason why.

I do not Brother GG.

But if he had had tossed a long ball and it was intercepted. even twice we would have had better filed position ( :devil: ) and the defense would at least show him some respect.

he landed in no mans land.

I do love tyrod. but he sucked. he did not take what the defense gave him. he did not take anything at all.

he got pantsed :P

I fully agree and I hate to say it but a lot of the pressure was coming from Incog's side. He really got beat up on a few plays that I saw. I didn't think the OL was great but I certainly thought it was better than that.

And I'm glad that you noticed what I did with Woods. I still don't understand what was going on with the way he kept falling down.

Yeah, if you go back to last year, you will see multiple posts from me about how Woods always seems to lose his footing on routes, running with the ball, etc. Just don't understand how this guy always loses his footing as often as he does and many times without contact.

Yeah, Incognito struggled a lot more than I expected. Like you, I didn't think the OL was Elite by any means, but I also didn't expect it to be that bad against Baltimore. Doesn't help with the injuries to Glenn and the suspenions, but even our better players like Richie struggled a lot.

People on this board tend to forget that this was only Tyrod's 15th game as a starter, not even a full season worth of games. He is a young QB still, and when a young QB sees the protection break down so fast and often, they lose confidence that they will have the time to execute.

I think this week could be another rough week in terms of pressure, so not confident we will get the offense back on track this week. The Jets secondary is vulnerable, but the OL needs to give the QB and WR's time to execute. More importantly, Roman needs to adjust. This offense needs to FEATURE...and I mean FEATURE...Clay like NE does with Gronk. Clay is one of the most talented TE's in football, we need to be treating him as our second most dangerous weapon in our passing game and feature him as such. Especially with the OL issues, Clay will be Tyrods best friend. Watkins and Clay, they need a minimum of 10 targets each per game...anything less than that is inexcusable. Watkins excelled on short routes in college, one of the best to ever do it...if we aren't getting time then we need to adjust and start using our weapons in a way where we can get the ball out faster. Not just dump offs to check downs, designed plays where they can be dangerous after the catch as well. This will also open up the deep ball. You get Clay and Watkins dominating in the short to medium range along with McCoy and the deep balls to Goodwin and Watkins will be there.

Maybe I should coach this team.

Yeah, if you go back to last year, you will see multiple posts from me about how Woods always seems to lose his footing on routes, running with the ball, etc. Just don't understand how this guy always loses his footing as often as he does and many times without contact.

Yeah, Incognito struggled a lot more than I expected. Like you, I didn't think the OL was Elite by any means, but I also didn't expect it to be that bad against Baltimore. Doesn't help with the injuries to Glenn and the suspenions, but even our better players like Richie struggled a lot.

People on this board tend to forget that this was only Tyrod's 15th game as a starter, not even a full season worth of games. He is a young QB still, and when a young QB sees the protection break down so fast and often, they lose confidence that they will have the time to execute.

I think this week could be another rough week in terms of pressure, so not confident we will get the offense back on track this week. The Jets secondary is vulnerable, but the OL needs to give the QB and WR's time to execute. More importantly, Roman needs to adjust. This offense needs to FEATURE...and I mean FEATURE...Clay like NE does with Gronk. Clay is one of the most talented TE's in football, we need to be treating him as our second most dangerous weapon in our passing game and feature him as such. Especially with the OL issues, Clay will be Tyrods best friend. Watkins and Clay, they need a minimum of 10 targets each per game...anything less than that is inexcusable. Watkins excelled on short routes in college, one of the best to ever do it...if we aren't getting time then we need to adjust and start using our weapons in a way where we can get the ball out faster. Not just dump offs to check downs, designed plays where they can be dangerous after the catch as well. This will also open up the deep ball. You get Clay and Watkins dominating in the short to medium range along with McCoy and the deep balls to Goodwin and Watkins will be there.

Maybe I should coach this team.

I want to know why Tyrod did not take off and run and forced himself to stay in that pocket when he obviously looked uncomfortable

No offense Bill, but I don't think this is a good take. Watkins played a fine game and by all accounts from those at the game was open often.

The offense ineptitude probably has more to do with not taking chances and playing into the defense, only taking what they give you.

Also, not sure how to blame some of Taylor's sailing throws on Watkins. Taylor was just off yesterday. Let's hope that doesn't continue or this will be a long year.

Edit: and now here's proof from the first offensive snap,

IdealisticMetallicHarborporpoise.gif

His throws on the flat to the RBs and TEs were also atrocious. You had the feeling of a Losman or Manuel throwing to them

Bills' offensive line cramming to correct mistakes

In the case of the Bills' blockers, it wasn't exactly the worst thing in the world to only take an abbreviated look at the missed assignments and other errors that helped contribute to a 10-year low of 160 yards in total offense.

Right after the game and on Tuesday, LeSean McCoy was quick to accept blame for mistakes he made while running that ball that prompted him to go sideways, desperately looking for openings, more often than straight ahead.

This wasn't a mere kind gesture on McCoy's part. More than a few people within the team's headquarters privately thought his play, as a runner and pass blocker, was far worse than that of the line's.

Edited by ALF

I want to know why they were constantly breaking the huddle with 10 seconds left...how does this give him and the OLine any time to make the proper checks?

That's a huge, totally inexcusable problem.

Well that's apparently what the ravens D game plan was right, keep TT in the pocket and make him be a QB. The only real play he made was when he broke containment and completed the pass downfield. And even then, the pass was very high.

I was wondering if it was the Ravens or the Bills keeping Taylor in the pocket. Either way we need to see more of it. Not because it's some sure fire winning strategy, but because we have to force Taylor to sink or swim as primarily a pocket passer. If he can't do it, then they have to part ways with him in the offseason before the big contract dollars kick in. The team has to find out now.

My guess is that coming into the Baltimore game, the Bills coaching staff was very optimistic about winning that game and purposefully took their foot off the gas pedal before that game even started.

I say that because Tyrod has a history of liking to go for the homerun play. And he just didn’t do that. He looked to me like a guy who had been told not to get too carried away in this game.

I envision him having a conversation with the coaches leading up to that game that goes something like this –coaches “Listen Tyrod, this game is very winnable. If we just play a smart, conservative game, we are going to come out of there with a win. Take whatever the defense gives you. We know they will have a strong pass rush. In this game we want to just get the ball out of your hands and keep it moving even if it means a lot of check downs to the safe receiver. As long as we don’t turn the ball over, we will win this game. We know there is already a lot of pressure on you going back to your previous team on their turf. You don’t need to win this game for us by yourself. Let some of our other players share that burden in this game.”

Of course, the conversation I just pictured is a fictitious one. But I wonder how close to truth it was coming into that game. I can totally see the Bills coming into that game with the attitude that it isn’t going to take a lot of scoring to win that game and therefore they intended to play conservatively right from the start.

Hate to say it, but Jimmy G looked like an All-Pro in comparison.

Yes. Watching the Pats-Cards game, QB'd by a 2014 2nd round pick, with 2 backup OLmen, is what "broke" me. Chris Hogan caught 3 passes for 60 yards, fer chrissake.

My guess is that coming into the Baltimore game, the Bills coaching staff was very optimistic about winning that game and purposefully took their foot off the gas pedal before that game even started.
I say that because Tyrod has a history of liking to go for the homerun play. And he just didn’t do that. He looked to me like a guy who had been told not to get too carried away in this game.
I envision him having a conversation with the coaches leading up to that game that goes something like this –coaches “Listen Tyrod, this game is very winnable. If we just play a smart, conservative game, we are going to come out of there with a win. Take whatever the defense gives you. We know they will have a strong pass rush. In this game we want to just get the ball out of your hands and keep it moving even if it means a lot of check downs to the safe receiver. As long as we don’t turn the ball over, we will win this game. We know there is already a lot of pressure on you going back to your previous team on their turf. You don’t need to win this game for us by yourself. Let some of our other players share that burden in this game.”
Of course, the conversation I just pictured is a fictitious one. But I wonder how close to truth it was coming into that game. I can totally see the Bills coming into that game with the attitude that it isn’t going to take a lot of scoring to win that game and therefore they intended to play conservatively right from the start.

Even if you are right, then at halftime when no offense at all is taking place, you have to have a different conversation.

PolishDave... watch the all 22. There were deep routes there and called. Sunday was on Tyrod.

Yes there were plays to be made that weren't. That is the case in every single game you lose and most games you win.

My point is that Tyrod wasn't acting like normal Tyrod. The question is why? All I tried to offer was one possible plausible scenario that could explain why.

Could be right. Could be totally wrong. I just find it hard to believe he was in his normal game element and just flat out played that bad. I am assuming there had to be other factors involved. My proposition is that the game plan going into that game took Tyrod out of normal "big play first" mode that we have seen from him in the past.

He was the alternate to the 2nd or 3rd alternate. Not many players actually want to risk injury and PLAY in the Pro Bowl. Taylor exceeded our low expectations last year, but he did not have a legitimate Pro Bowl season by a long stretch

Well 3rd alternate to the fifth backup or whatever it was, was still enough to earn him more slack than Manuel body of works.

Yes there were plays to be made that weren't. That is the case in every single game you lose and most games you win.

My point is that Tyrod wasn't acting like normal Tyrod. The question is why? All I tried to offer was one possible plausible scenario that could explain why.

Could be right. Could be totally wrong. I just find it hard to believe he was in his normal game element and just flat out played that bad. I am assuming there had to be other factors involved. My proposition is that the game plan going into that game took Tyrod out of normal "big play first" mode that we have seen from him in the past.

Well, the Ravens defense did say their goal was to make TT actually play the QB position, if you ask me they did that and TT failed miserably.

Credit to the Raven for executing their gameplan.