To be fair to Tyrod.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in reference to the first play, thought this might be nice for people to read:

CsU0jHVWEAA_OhZ.jpg

It is obvious in this example that there were plays to be made that weren't.

Here is something to think about though..

When was the last time you saw a Bills' quarterback go deep on the first offensive play of their first possession?

I can't remember when. It has been that long. I bet it hasn't happened more than a handful of times since Jim Kelly was QB.

When Jim Kelly was quarterback, it was one of the things that the Bills did regularly. Every game I would sit in anticipation of that first offensive snap wondering if JK was going to throw deep and put the defense on their heels from the very first snap of the game. Heck, I think that attitude was largely responsible for a lot of the Bills' success moving the ball in most games. The opponents were scared that at any moment Kelly and crew were going to go deep.

That attitude and threat has been lacking for almost the entire time since Jim Kelly retired. None of the coaches in here since Marv have been that aggressive (or allowed the players to be) on a consistent basis.

These days, all everyone talks about from the first offensive snap is how the quarterback is supposed to just get a few easy completions under his belt to start to develop a rhythm. I can almost guarantee you (as history as my proof) that the goal in that first play from scrimmage was never to (go for the homerun) even if it was there. You can't blame that on the quarterback entirely. Almost every one of these guys is told to just get a few easy completions at first. You can tell that because many of the announcers say that when they are covering a game. They constantly talk about how the offense wants to just execute some simple plays to get moving rather than try to get a touchdown on play #1 from scrimmage.

Rex and crew are no different in that respect. (Or at least they haven't show themselves to be any different in that regard than any other coach.)

If you put yourself in Tyrod's shoes and think about what his mindset was likely to be on that first snap, it is ridiculously easy to see why and how he could overlook Woods being open for 6 on that play. Both of the defenders on Woods' side of the field could have been laying on the ground for that play. Tyrod still probably would have thrown the ball where he did exactly how he did.

I'm not saying Tyrod is not at fault for missing it. I am saying that because it was the first play on offense and because this team lacks the (go for the throat mentality) that those factors combined along with Tyrod not even looking for the homerun are what was responsible for the outcome of that play.

Edited by PolishDave

Just in reference to the first play, thought this might be nice for people to read:

CsU0jHVWEAA_OhZ.jpg

Yep that is what I said yesterday. It is a ONE read play. Read the defender indicated in red. If he cheats to Watkins' side you throw Woods if he cheats to Woods' side you throw to Sammy. It is a well designed starter that can potentially be a big play. Edited by GunnerBill

It is obvious in this example that there were plays to be made that weren't.

Here is something to think about though..

When was the last time you saw a Bills' quarterback go deep on the first offensive play of their first possession?

I can't remember when. It has been that long. I bet it hasn't happened more than a handful of times since Jim Kelly was QB.

When Jim Kelly was quarterback, it was one of the things that the Bills did regularly. Every game I would sit in anticipation of that first offensive snap wondering if JK was going to throw deep and put the defense on their heels from the very first snap of the game. Heck, I think that attitude was largely responsible for a lot of the Bills' success moving the ball in most games. The opponents were scared that at any moment Kelly and crew were going to go deep.

That attitude and threat has been lacking for almost the entire time since Jim Kelly retired. None of the coaches in here since Marv have been that aggressive (or allowed the players to be) on a consistent basis.

These days, all everyone talks about from the first offensive snap is how the quarterback is supposed to just get a few easy completions under his belt to start to develop a rhythm. I can almost guarantee you (as history as my proof) that the goal in that first play from scrimmage was never to (go for the homerun) even if it was there. You can't blame that on the quarterback entirely. Almost every one of these guys is told to just get a few easy completions at first. You can tell that because many of the announcers say that when they are covering a game. They constantly talk about how the offense wants to just execute some simple plays to get moving rather than try to get a touchdown on play #1 from scrimmage.

Rex and crew are no different in that respect. (Or at least they haven't show themselves to be any different in that regard than any other coach.)

If you put yourself in Tyrod's shoes and think about what his mindset was likely to be on that first snap, it is ridiculously easy to see why and how he could overlook Woods being open for 6 on that play. Both of the defenders on Woods' side of the field could have been laying on the ground for that play. Tyrod still probably would have thrown the ball where he did exactly how he did.

I'm not saying Tyrod is not at fault for missing it. I am saying that because it was the first play on offense and because this team lacks the (go for the throat mentality) that those factors combined along with Tyrod not even looking for the homerun are what was responsible for the outcome of that play.

Didn't we do this last year against the Jets? I thought the very first play was a misfired shot to Sammy who beat Revis on the play.

Didn't we do this last year against the Jets? I thought the very first play was a misfired shot to Sammy who beat Revis on the play.

Yes I believe you are correct. It was incomplete, but I think Sammy pretty much owned Revis in that game. And of course the Bills won that game.

Any other times you can remember a Bills' quarterback attempting to throw a touchdown route on their first offensive play of the game or was it once last year?

You just don't see teams try it very often, the Bills included. I think it is because there is so much on their minds already when the game starts - and they are jittery - and they are just trying to get on with the game. That is also why you hear announcers talk about sometimes after a quarterback gets hit once, he will settle down and start playing better football. The mind clears and they just get back to playing the game the way they know how and stop trying to overthink things.

And I'd love it if they throw that pass again tonight. Please...please....please.....

Edited by PolishDave

Yes I believe you are correct. It was incomplete, but I think Sammy pretty much owned Revis in that game. And of course the Bills won that game.

Any other times you can remember a Bills' quarterback attempting to throw a touchdown route on their first offensive play of the game or was it once last year?

You just don't see teams try it very often, the Bills included. I think it is because there is so much on their minds already when the game starts - and they are jittery - and they are just trying to get on with the game. That is also why you hear announcers talk about sometimes after a quarterback gets hit once, he will settle down and start playing better football. The mind clears and they just get back to playing the game the way they know how and stop trying to overthink things.

And I'd love it if they throw that pass again tonight. Please...please....please.....

I know it's not the Bills, but the only one I remember from semi-recently was when the Ravens let a fan call the first play of the game for Make-a-wish, and he called a play action bomb which went for a TD to Torrey Smith.

In one of Jets vs Bills games last year Fitz went long on the first 3 plays. Not a Bill anymore though.

I also remember a game from the 70s nowhere Jaws threw a bomb for a TD on the first play against the Cowboys. Eagles ended up losing that game likee 24-7.

Heck I have a hard enough time trying to remember the first play in the second quarter, much less the last 20 years ...

Edited by reddogblitz

I know it's not the Bills, but the only one I remember from semi-recently was when the Ravens let a fan call the first play of the game for Make-a-wish, and he called a play action bomb which went for a TD to Torrey Smith.

Nice...promote that kid to team staff...

I don't know why we don't see it more often out of teams. I think it gives you a big advantage in the mental aspect of this game. And the mental aspect of this sport is under-appreciated in my opinion. There are so many ways you can use the mental part of this game to your advantage.

Get defenses playing scared by throwing deep early and often. Get inside quarterbacks heads and get them down on themselves by bringing overwhelming pressure early in games. Going for the throat on the first play from scrimmage after your team intercepts a pass. Stepping on the gas by throwing the deep ball on the very next play after your offense makes any sort of big play. (things like that)

CsU0jHVWEAA_OhZ.jpg

Interesting that the safety would cheat to the opposite side of the field of Sammy in cover 3. Those are things Tyrod needs to be picking up on and exploiting.

Nice...promote that kid to team staff...

I don't know why we don't see it more often out of teams. I think it gives you a big advantage in the mental aspect of this game. And the mental aspect of this sport is under-appreciated in my opinion. There are so many ways you can use the mental part of this game to your advantage.

Get defenses playing scared by throwing deep early and often. Get inside quarterbacks heads and get them down on themselves by bringing overwhelming pressure early in games. Going for the throat on the first play from scrimmage after your team intercepts a pass. Stepping on the gas by throwing the deep ball on the very next play after your offense makes any sort of big play. (things like that)

I agree on this logic. Roman obviously wants Buffalo to be a run first and run heavy team. But I feel like a few deep balls and a threat of a big play can go a long ways in softening up the D.

Interesting that the safety would cheat to the opposite side of the field of Sammy in cover 3. Those are things Tyrod needs to be picking up on and exploiting.

I agree on this logic. Roman obviously wants Buffalo to be a run first and run heavy team. But I feel like a few deep balls and a threat of a big play can go a long ways in softening up the D.

Unfortunately, I don't think our personnel meshes well with this. We're much better suited for a Gailey style spread 'em out and create space tempo offense IMO.

Unfortunately, I don't think our personnel meshes well with this. We're much better suited for a Gailey style spread 'em out and create space tempo offense IMO.

We aren't going to find a much better back than McCoy. So, if he isn't having consistent 100+ yard games back to back to back then our guys up front aren't getting the job done.

Yes and unfortunately it makes for mostly boring football.

I don't mind being a run first team if you have the right lineman and scheme in place to dominate the line of scrimmage consistently and oppose your will on the defense. But the Bills aren't that good there. And it makes for pretty damn boring (not to mention unsuccessful) football if you keep banging your running backs against brick walls.

It is also really hard to come back for a win in the fourth quarter when your strength is your running game and you don't have a formidable passing attack.

We aren't going to find a much better back than McCoy. So, if he isn't having consistent 100+ yard games back to back to back then our guys up front aren't getting the job done.

Yes and unfortunately it makes for mostly boring football.

I don't mind being a run first team if you have the right lineman and scheme in place to dominate the line of scrimmage consistently and oppose your will on the defense. But the Bills aren't that good there. And it makes for pretty damn boring (not to mention unsuccessful) football if you keep banging your running backs against brick walls.

It is also really hard to come back for a win in the fourth quarter when your strength is your running game and you don't have a formidable passing attack.

I wasn't saying he isn't good, just saying he isn't Frank Gore. Styles are completely different with one being shifty and elusive and the other being physically punishing.