So Wentz will suck; Donahoe was driving force 4 drafting him

Reed83HOF

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eagles-chance-show-browns-cleveland-000000544.html

But the personnel staff had liked one of the two players for longer than most – and that player was Wentz. The early driving force was senior director of player personnel Tom Donahoe, whose evaluation on Wentz went through the roof after the quarterback’s junior season at North Dakota State.

While other NFL teams were still getting acquainted with Wentz as a first-round prospect in 2015, Donahoe had already placed an elite quarterback grade on him before the player’s senior season. It wasn’t long before the rest of the Eagles franchise came around, with Donahoe’s voice playing a pivotal role in the ear of both Roseman and team owner Jeffrey Lurie.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Donahoe had been a highly appreciated personnel man before joining the Bills. Yes, he didn't have great luck after joining the Bills, but I think John Butler had orchestrated a few bad drafts before his arrival that made Donahoe look worse than he was.

According to many on this board, his primary failing was not finding a NFL starting QB. Not many were coming out of college at that time, as I recall.

I am not here to say that Donahoe was very good, but there usually are extenuating circumstances when a highly regarded person fails in a new situation.

Tom Donahoe had been a highly appreciated personnel man before joining the Bills. Yes, he didn't have great luck after joining the Bills, but I think John Butler had orchestrated a few bad drafts before his arrival that made Donahoe look worse than he was.

According to many on this board, his primary failing was not finding a NFL starting QB. Not many were coming out of college at that time, as I recall.

I am not here to say that Donahoe was very good, but there usually are extenuating circumstances when a highly regarded person fails in a new situation.

Pat Williams

I think Wentz can be good, but I think the Eagles are making a mistake by playing him right now.

Let him hold a clipboard and learn.

Easier to learn by playing. I don't think anyone uses a clipboard anymore...Tablets

Edited by nucci

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eagles-chance-show-browns-cleveland-000000544.html

But the personnel staff had liked one of the two players for longer than most – and that player was Wentz. The early driving force was senior director of player personnel Tom Donahoe, whose evaluation on Wentz went through the roof after the quarterback’s junior season at North Dakota State.

While other NFL teams were still getting acquainted with Wentz as a first-round prospect in 2015, Donahoe had already placed an elite quarterback grade on him before the player’s senior season. It wasn’t long before the rest of the Eagles franchise came around, with Donahoe’s voice playing a pivotal role in the ear of both Roseman and team owner Jeffrey Lurie.

Seems like Tomy is getting better as he goes along as he learned from missing on spread QB Losman, too bad he didn't listen on Mike Williams and McGahee

Reviewing the 2002-2004 draft classes a dozen years after the fact gives some great hindsight.

2002 and 2003 were poor overall

2004 saw 3 HoF QBs (Eli Manning, Rivers, Rothlesberger) but all taken before the Bills first round tpick.

But that aside, the JP Losman trade up in 2004 and drafting Mike Williams #3 overall in 2002 and Willis McGahee in 2003 say enough about Donahoe's skills at building a team

Reviewing the 2002-2004 draft classes a dozen years after the fact gives some great hindsight.

2002 and 2003 were poor overall

2004 saw 3 HoF QBs (Eli Manning, Rivers, Rothlesberger) but all taken before the Bills first round tpick.

But that aside, the JP Losman trade up in 2004 and drafting Mike Williams #3 overall in 2002 and Willis McGahee in 2003 say enough about Donahoe's skills at building a team

Hindsight is surely 20-20, but I remember thinking that Mike Williams was going to be great. He was exceptionally mobile and athletic for as huge as he was. I think I remember him playing well early on only to completely go into the tank when his Grandmother died. I don't think he knew how to handle that and he got more and more out of shape as his career went on. If he'd have stayed in shape, I think he would have been very good.

Pat Williams

Not signing Pat Williams was Greg Williams call. He did not want a Fat Nose Tackle for his front four....

I thought it was Jacksonville. They had a hard on for a WR if I remember correctly.

Yes. A guy who lasted in the league for a couple of years. Reggie Williams

Donahue GM 2001-2005 (fired before 2005 draft as I recall)

There are never many "sure bets" in the lower rounds, but there were a lot of good QB drafted in that time window who had some success (on bad teams) in those years. In addition to the "usual suspects" of Vick, Brees, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger which we would have had to work a mighty trade to attempt, there was Schaub, Garrard (both of whom were underrated QB and did a good job for bad teams before injuries took their toll), a handful of guys who could play some but wouldn't have gotten Donahoe off the "not finding QB" hook.

Really IMO a pretty typical 4 year period for QB.