So Wentz will suck; Donahoe was driving force 4 drafting him

Reed83HOF

I thought it was Jacksonville. They had a hard on for a WR if I remember correctly.

It was Houston. They committed to the trade , then backed out at the last minute. They got cold feet when ATL picked DeAngelo Hall, as they wanted a CB (Dunta Robinson) and thought he might be gone by the Bills pick. Donahoe wanted to jump ahead of PIT to take Roethlisberger.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against Division 1-AA caliber football players.

That is true and a concern but he has all the tools, experience with reading defenses and audibles and leadership = unicorn

It was Houston. They committed to the trade , then backed out at the last minute. They got cold feet when ATL picked DeAngelo Hall, as they wanted a CB (Dunta Robinson) and thought he might be gone by the Bills pick. Donahoe wanted to jump ahead of PIT to take Roethlisberger.

Still chaps my azz that we didn't get him :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Reviewing the 2002-2004 draft classes a dozen years after the fact gives some great hindsight.

2002 and 2003 were poor overall

2004 saw 3 HoF QBs (Eli Manning, Rivers, Rothlesberger) but all taken before the Bills first round tpick.

But that aside, the JP Losman trade up in 2004 and drafting Mike Williams #3 overall in 2002 and Willis McGahee in 2003 say enough about Donahoe's skills at building a team

Thanks for the horrid memories. Why he didn't trade up for Rothlesberger is beyond me. He was the beginning of the end of this team for 15 years.

Reviewing the 2002-2004 draft classes a dozen years after the fact gives some great hindsight.

2002 and 2003 were poor overall

2004 saw 3 HoF QBs (Eli Manning, Rivers, Rothlesberger) but all taken before the Bills first round tpick.

But that aside, the JP Losman trade up in 2004 and drafting Mike Williams #3 overall in 2002 and Willis McGahee in 2003 say enough about Donahoe's skills at building a team

Actually, McGahee was a good pro...not great but good....8-9 year career. Of course, he didn't have much of a head on him...they had to signal in the plays to him separately.....yes, they did that for Sspiller also.

True but if anyone is NFL ready it's Wentz because he played in a pro system and made line calls and audibles

A pro style system and making line calls/audibles is a big plus and does help prepare a QB for the NFL. I agree with that. But there's so much Wentz needs to work on before he starts an NFL game. He has the physical attributes you look for in a QB an he looked great from the pocket and on first reads in college, but his knocks were that he was slow to process, had accuracy issues past 20 yards and couldn't find receivers once he was moved from the pocket. He was usually late on his second read and never got to his third even when the first two were covered. I was really impressed with Philly when the said they'd sit him his whole first season. That was the right move for Wentz. But I guess the Iggles gotta Iggles, as they say. Starting him from game 1 is going to put Philly into contention for the worst team in the league this season.

I thought it was Jacksonville. They had a hard on for a WR if I remember correctly.

It was both. TD was dead set on making that trade, but both teams backed away because they insisted on picking future busts.

Hindsight is surely 20-20, but I remember thinking that Mike Williams was going to be great. He was exceptionally mobile and athletic for as huge as he was. I think I remember him playing well early on only to completely go into the tank when his Grandmother died. I don't think he knew how to handle that and he got more and more out of shape as his career went on. If he'd have stayed in shape, I think he would have been very good.

This. I am not sure you could blame TD for drafting Williams. He was a consensus top five pick & it was between him & Mount Mckinney. Yeah he could of went the other way but it was a flip of the coin imo. Mckinney had a decent career but like I said both of them were labeled can't miss prospects going into the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just stand by patiently and wait for Dakota Tebow to crash and burn.

please he has nothing in common with Tebow; Wentz came from a PRO system not the spread, which means he can already go through progressions and make audibles, has a strong accurate arm. They both can run so you got me there but other than that you couldn't be more wrong.

A pro style system and making line calls/audibles is a big plus and does help prepare a QB for the NFL. I agree with that. But there's so much Wentz needs to work on before he starts an NFL game. He has the physical attributes you look for in a QB an he looked great from the pocket and on first reads in college, but his knocks were that he was slow to process, had accuracy issues past 20 yards and couldn't find receivers once he was moved from the pocket. He was usually late on his second read and never got to his third even when the first two were covered. I was really impressed with Philly when the said they'd sit him his whole first season. That was the right move for Wentz. But I guess the Iggles gotta Iggles, as they say. Starting him from game 1 is going to put Philly into contention for the worst team in the league this season.

Oh thank GOD! they traded him to the Bills

It was not Houston, it was Jacksonville, The WR they wanted would have been available at 13 but they asked for the moon since Cleveland gave up a 2nd to move up one pick earlier in the draft.

@SalSports

He also traded up for JP Losman, Eagles fans.

I agree that Losman was a mistake but I still think Donahoe wasn't given enough time to show what he could do. I think he is a top-notch football guy and the frugal Wilson wasn't happy with his free spending.

I agree that Losman was a mistake but I still think Donahoe wasn't given enough time to show what he could do. I think he is a top-notch football guy and the frugal Wilson wasn't happy with his free spending.

His first draft was his best. Nate Clements, Aaron Schobel, Travis Henry were all really good picks. They also get decent production out of Jonas Jennings until he signed with San Francisco. His 2003 draft wasn't bad as well, as McGahee, Kelsay, and Terrence McGee were good players. The other 3 drafts were what got him fired.

It was not Houston, it was Jacksonville, The WR they wanted would have been available at 13 but they asked for the moon since Cleveland gave up a 2nd to move up one pick earlier in the draft.

Look further up the thread. TD desperately tried to leapfrog Pittsburgh and was talking to both, Houston & Jax. I don't think it was the issue of him not offering enough, both teams were dead set on drafting what turned out to be busts. In retrospect, a deal would have benefited all, and the rest would be history.

@SalSports

He also traded up for JP Losman, Eagles fans.

Except that Losman was a plan B. The guy he coveted , (and had a trade worked out with the Texans to move up and draft) was Roethlisberger. Would have been a pretty good pick , no? Unless you are one of those feeble minded folks who think " but he wouldn't have been good with the Bills" . Nonsense. Big Ben is an elite talent and he knew it. Now, the move back into round 1 to get Losman seems dubious. But Losman was regarded as a top talent by many observers, just raw and in need of seasoning. Perhaps Donahoe took a flyer as he didn't think the Bills record would put them in position to have a shot at a top QB in 2005. That '04 team is the closest the Bills have come to punching a playoff ticket during the ongoing drought, so he may not have been far off. In all , Donahoe's attempts to fix the Bills QB position were likely the best since Polian was fired as GM. He traded for Bledsoe, had a trade in place to draft Big Ben that fell through only because Houston backed out just a few picks ahead of where the Bills would have gotten their franchise QB) and took a flyer on an athletic prospect knowing Bledsoe likely only had a year or two left. Hindsight says he should have waited and drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005, but Rodgers wasn't that highly regarded in 2004 when he made the decision.

Hindsight is surely 20-20, but I remember thinking that Mike Williams was going to be great. He was exceptionally mobile and athletic for as huge as he was. I think I remember him playing well early on only to completely go into the tank when his Grandmother died. I don't think he knew how to handle that and he got more and more out of shape as his career went on. If he'd have stayed in shape, I think he would have been very good.

Such a likeable guy compared to the other one (from miami?).

This is not correct. The Bills may indeed have spoken with JAX about a trade and gotten nowhere. But they had a trade worked out (compensation and all) with the Houston Texans that was reported as " a done deal" by Chris Mortensen on ESPN during the draft. Houston was set on drafting Dunta Robinson with the Bills pick at 13, but nixed the trade after Atlanta selected DeAngelo Hall at pick 8, thinking Robinson would be picked before they got the chance.