the Myles Jack Irony

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaleys moves are open to question. Hes made plenty of mistakes and we appear no closer to the playoffs than last year or the year before. That could start to change if they do the unexpected and beat NE. For now no criticsm of Whaley is unfair. Some teams reportedly had Lawson off their board. Whaley can certainly be questioned on that one. Especially since he was adamant that Lawson didnt need surgery then a week later they announce he needs surgery. I dont blame him on Ragland. That was a fluke. But the Lawson pick is open to criticsm and the way they handled the surgery issue doesnt help their credibility.

I find it rather funny that in a thread where Whaley has been proven to NOT be wrong (temporarily as I said what can you get from making these predictions in week 1 or even year 1) that someone would step forward and say "no no no he should still be criticized because the ORGANIZATION as a whole is not winning)

Doug Whaley cannot get credit for picking Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland because we have not seen what they can do yet....so they are question marks but he CAN get credit for

- Steering away from a player that had immense potential but scary long term injury risk was the RIGHT move.....its a lower body injury not upper body which makes a difference.

- Then in free agency he doubled down on a LB (and not in the start of free agency when stupid money was being thrown around.....but later when signings were more economical) and found Zach Brown.....who was actually a scheme fit and not just a name. By doing this Doug left us with cap flexibility and money to roll over into next season as they still work to resign Gilmore.

Good GM's do these things. Better to keep your trap shut then remove all doubt.

The way our LBs are playing, neither Ragland nor Jack would even be on the field right now. Zach Brown is a beast. Worthy and Washington are strong. Great job Whaley. Our infirmary issues are on the other side of the ball champ.

If Ragland had stayed healthy, he'd have been starting over Zach most likely. That being said, I hope they keep Zach after the season.

If Ragland had stayed healthy, he'd have been starting over Zach most likely. That being said, I hope they keep Zach after the season.

The Brown bros + Ragland would likely be the strongest LB core we have fielded in quite some time.

People have him pegged to be a 2 down linebacker but everything I am reading is saying that that this coaching staff believes he is one of those "special" types

The fact remains.....Zach Brown is killin it......which is good news for us.

When did this narrative start? This thread/page is the first Ive heard that Ragland is only a 2 down LB. He rarely left the field at Bama and Rex talked about him being a 3 down backer from draft to injury. That was the main concern with him getting injured, we would have to sign 2 LBs to take his place.

Anyways, wrt Jack not getting on the field... Imagine if Ragland was healthy and still on the sidelines here?!?!? The pitchforks for Whaley and Rex's heads would be blazing!

The more I read about why Myles Jack isn't playing, the more it reminds me of what happened to Aaron Curry, the former Wake Forest, Seattle Seahawk linebacker. He was drafted 4th overall in the 2009 draft and was a pass rush and tackling machine at Wake Forest. A Von Miller for that time.

Seattle didn't do any favors for this guy. They started him out strong side and asked him to do things he didn't do well at Wake Forest (pass coverage) and not to do things he did well at WF (rush the passer). They bench him and trade him to Oakland who then turns him into a weak side linebacker - a position he hadn't played before and on top of it, made him again, play the pass more than rush the passer.

I see the Jags have already moved Jack from the position he played in UCLA and he's been slow to pick it up. I don't know why organizations don't put their draft picks in positions to succeed and let them do what they do well. The reason he's not playing isn't on Jack or his knees but the Jags not drafting the player they really needed.

Edited by dpberr

The more I read about why Myles Jack isn't playing, the more it reminds me of what happened to Aaron Curry, the former Wake Forest, Seattle Seahawk linebacker. He was drafted 4th overall in the 2009 draft and was a pass rush and tackling machine at Wake Forest. A Von Miller for that time.

Seattle didn't do any favors for this guy. They started him out strong side and asked him to do things he didn't do well at Wake Forest (pass coverage) and not to do things he did well at WF (rush the passer). They bench him and trade him to Oakland who then turns him into a weak side linebacker - a position he hadn't played before and on top of it, made him again, play the pass more than rush the passer.

I see the Jags have already moved Jack from the position he played in UCLA and he's been slow to pick it up. I don't know why organizations don't put their draft picks in positions to succeed and let them do what they do well. The reason he's not playing isn't on Jack or his knees but the Jags not drafting the player they really needed.

He was hardly a "pass rush" machine IIRC, he had very few sacks at Wake and that was one of the big red flags on him...

In college he certainly was. His coverage skills being questionable was the knock on him coming out correct?

His man coverage skills, yes.

That simply limits what you can do with him in terms of chess-piece mentality, which is why I preferred guys like Jack and Lee.

There's never been any question, however, whether Ragland can acquit himself in zone coverage.

This from lame duck HC Bradley:

“I would say the last two weeks he has really grown. He’s really grown as far as being in shape..."

Umm, what? The guy wasn't in shape?