Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Brooklyn, with 2.6 million people (50% are African American or Caribbean ), has only 2 DMV's.

Why do you think that is? Because NYS is run by racists, or not that many people need to use the DMV as more suburban areas do (Monroe county has a ton of DMVs)?

Ummmm... Because Brooklyn is like a total of 70 square miles, so there is one every 35 square miles, so, like, its 5-7 miles away. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Maybe I'm just slow, but I think you're going to have to explain your analogy a little bit. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Sure no problem. He said he sat down because he won't support a country that "allows" the suppression of a race. So he was whining instead of doing something about it. So now he says he is going to take some kind of action now that he has make his statement. To me he called attention to himself first and now that he told the world "look at me" he going to take action. Just how it appears to me.

On a sidebar: I find protest like this to be counter productive. Making people dislike you by protesting the flag is not going to get people to listen to you just hate you. Martin Luther King endeared himself to people and they followed him. Again JMHO.

Back to Colin

Colin Kaepernick's Ignorance of Racism in Castro's Cuba.............. The 49ers QB wore a shirt commemorating Fidel’s meeting with Malcolm X

You really only need the first three words of Mark’s headline for the past weekend to make sense.

UPDATE: San Francisco Police Union To Kaepernick: What About Black-On-Black Crime?

Like in Alabama, where the Republican legislature passed a law requiring drivers licenses (or similar identification) in order to vote, then closed down the DMV offices in all of the black majority counties?

Again, let's address the problem. Alabama is opening up local registrar offices, and sending out mobile ID labs, and it's probably not enough, so let's do more.

BUT do it while keeping your eye on ensuring that Voter ID absolutely IS the law of the land.

Check out the 2nd link I edited in, and sort the census data by race. There is a DMV office in every single black majority county. Some are only open 1 day a month, but this is also the case in white majority counties.

I don't have time to cross-check that with the two links you've provided, but even if it's true, do you think it's reasonable for Alabama to pass a law requiring a DMV-issued identification in order to vote, when many counties in the state have DMV offices that are open only one day per month and many counties have no DMV offices at all? Do you see how that makes it more difficult (not impossible--more difficult) for people to vote? And if, as I believe to be the case, blacks in Alabama are far less likely than whites to have such identification, do you see how such laws have the effect (if not the expressed intent) of suppressing the black vote? And on top of that, throw in Alabama's despicable history of depriving its black citizens of their right to vote, their right to attend the state university, etc...

Edited by mannc

Ummmm... Because Brooklyn is like a total of 70 square miles, so there is one every 35 square miles, so, like, its 5-7 miles away.

So if there was a deal made by legislators from both sides of the aisle that had initiatives such as this or this or some service that guaranteed transportation to the DMV to get an ID at no cost such as this You'd then be ok with having to provide an ID in order to vote?

I don't have time to cross-check that with the two links you've provided, but even if it's true, do you think it's reasonable for Alabama to pass a law requiring a DMV-issued identification in order to vote, when many counties in the state have DMV offices that are open only one day per month and many counties have no DMV offices at all? Do you see how that makes it more difficult (not impossible--more difficult) for people to vote? And if, as I believe to be the case, blacks in Alabama are far less likely than whites to have such identification, do you see how such laws have the effect (if not the expressed intent) of suppressing the black vote? And on top of that, throw in Alabama's despicable history of depriving its black citizens of their right to vote, their right to attend the state university, etc...

So if there was a deal made by legislators from both sides of the aisle that had initiatives such as this or this or some service that guaranteed transportation to the DMV to get an ID at no cost such as this You'd then be ok with having to provide an ID in order to vote?

I don't have time to cross-check that with the two links you've provided, but even if it's true, do you think it's reasonable for Alabama to pass a law requiring a DMV-issued identification in order to vote, when many counties in the state have DMV offices that are open only one day per week and many counties have no DMV offices at all? Do you see how that makes it more difficult (not impossible--more difficult) for people to vote? And if, as I believe to be the case, blacks in Alabama are far less likely than whites to have such identification, do you see how such laws have the effect (if not the expressed intent) of suppressing the black vote? And on top of that, throw in Alabama's despicable history of depriving its black citizens of their right to vote, their right to attend the state university, etc...

What I think is unreasonable is paying taxes for basic public services, and instead of fulfilling those basic public services, the government is taking that money and using it for special "feel good" projects that have little impact, and half-assing the core public services such as this.

Yes, I think closing down or only making DMV offices available at certain times may make it harder for anyone to get an ID. But there is no evidence of targeting minorities. More likely the poor. Black poor people are just as able as white poor people to go to the dmv to get their ID.

By making this a racial issue, you are ignoring quite a few people who may not be able to get their ID and vote as well.

I still don't know if I see this as a hardship though. Identification is a core utility that one should have, and you can easily renew online at least in NY. How do these people buy alcohol?

Edited by What a Tuel

For the most part, yes, although a substantial number of people in rural communities don't have the ID to get ID. I have read a lot of stuff about voter fraud though, from both sides, and it's such a small issue compared to a lot of other stuff.

The voter ID discussion has a lot of traction here, why is it so discriminatory to pass these laws? Heck you need an ID for so many things in life, most importantly you need multiple forms of ID for employment. The point of many of the oppression discussions and outrage at the state of the predominately black communities is to better them, right?

Wouldn't it be a good time to require an ID to vote and help these individuals get them? Sure it takes a small fee to get a BC or copy of a drivers liscence, but should we accept that folks can't afford to be an adult? Casting a vote should require an ID and ID's should be affordable and accessible to everyone. That statement probably blurs party lines and I won't get any responses but that's more than part of the problem here. Left is left right is right, both are wrong more than they are right.

Edited by Commonsense

I must have missed the Alabama link. I'm not sure what voting restrictions are in place in Wisconsin, Mississippi or South Carolina, but I'm pretty sure that, armed with zero evidence of voter fraud, the gerrymandered Republican legislatures in those states have passed laws that make it more difficult for new voters to register, and that those laws have the effect of disproportionately reducing the number of registered minority voters, who not surprisingly tend to vote democratic.

I must have missed the Alabama link. I'm not sure what voting restrictions are in place in Wisconsin, Mississippi or South Carolina, but I'm pretty sure that, armed with zero evidence of voter fraud, the gerrymandered Republican legislatures in those states have passed laws that make it more difficult for new voters to register, and that those laws have the effect of disproportionately reducing the number of registered minority voters, who not surprisingly tend to vote democratic.

I'm asking you a question. Forget about what you believe the motives are, lets focus on the policy.

If there are services that provide transportation at no cost to obtain an ID, would you then still be opposed to having to provide ID like the rest of the world does and what 80% of country believes we should do?

The voter ID discussion has a lot of traction here, why is it so discriminatory to pass these laws? Heck you need an ID for so many things in life, most importantly you need multiple forms of ID for employment. The point of many of the oppression discussions and outrage at the state of the predominately black communities is to better them, right?

Wouldn't it be a good time to require an ID to vote and help these individuals get them? Sure it takes a small fee to get a BC or copy of a drivers liscence, but should we accept that folks can't afford to be an adult? Casting a vote should require an ID and ID's should be affordable and accessible to everyone. That statement probably blurs party lines and I won't get any responses but that's more than part of the problem here. Left is left right is right, both are wrong more than they are right.

Of course it's a good idea, the vast majority of the country believes it is as well and so does just about the rest of the world.

Have the cops who shot Alton Sterling been in court yet ? Have the cops that shot Philando Castille went to court yet ?

Are we done talking about Alabama yet ?

You want a court appearance for the cops who shot Alton Sterling? The guy was armed and wrestling with them. I am not sure what you think this is, but it isn't fun and games. What is the end game for Alton Sterling? Wrestle for a bit and give up? If we are going to start criminally charging police officers for performing their duties, then we've crossed a line.

But as for Castile, it took months and months to investigate LeSean McCoy. This insatiable mob mentality for punishment outpaces reality. These things take time.

Edited by What a Tuel

I'm asking you a question. Forget about what you believe the motives are, lets focus on the policy.

If there are services that provide transportation at no cost to obtain an ID, would you then still be opposed to having to provide ID like the rest of the world does and what 80% of country believes we should do?

Probably not but it would depend upon the details of the law in question, the history of voting rights in the state and the impact the law would have on minority voters. In my state, all voting is by mail and therefore no ID is required, and yet there has been no issue whatsoever with voter fraud.

"Voter fraud" is a pretense for making it more difficult for certain types of people (who tend to vote democratic and are more likely to be minorities) to vote. It is also worth mentioning that the laws passed by Republican legislatures to make it harder to vote are not limited to ID requirements. They also involve shutting down polling places early, curtailing early voting and other similar measures that have been shown to disproportionately affect would-be Democratic voters. This has been a major point of emphasis for Republicans for a long time and they have gotten very adept at passing facially neutral laws that nonetheless have the effect of suppressing the minority/Democratic vote. Many of those laws have been tossed by the courts, some have passed constitutional muster, and others are in the process of being challenged.

Edited by mannc

In the article that you quoted, "...that the sample of non-citizens is a tiny 1%. As a result, the sample of those claiming to be noncitizen voters is infinitesimal. In the 2008 poll, Richman and Earnest found only five noncitizen voters out of 32,800 claiming to have cast a validated vote, and in the 2010 study, only 13 out of 55,400 respondents. Given the potential rate of error, Ahlquist and Gehlbach say, "it takes a bit of hubris to draw strong conclusions about the behavior of non-citizens from such small numbers."

It is far fetched to believe non-citizens would willingly register and attempt to vote when those actions would expose them to the criminal justice and immigration system. Just because a person is undocumented that doesn't mean that person is stupendously stupid.