Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Probably not but it would depend upon the details of the law in question, the history of voting rights in the state and the impact the law would have on minority voters. In my state, all voting is by mail and therefore no ID is required, and yet there has been no issue whatsoever with voter fraud.

"Voter fraud" is a pretense for making it more difficult for certain types of people (who tend to vote democratic and are more likely to be minorities) to vote. It is also worth mentioning that the laws passed by Republican legislatures to make it harder to vote are not limited to ID requirements. They also involve shutting down polling places early, curtailing early voting and other similar measures that have been shown to disproportionately affect would-be Democratic voters. This has been a major point of emphasis for Republicans for a long time and they have gotten very adept at passing facially neutral laws that nonetheless have the effect of suppressing the minority/Democratic vote. Many of those laws have been tossed by the courts, some have passed constitutional muster, and others are in the process of being challenged.

I'm not buying into your perceived views of what people's intentions or motives are. The rest of the developed world and the majority of the country believes its good policy and that is what I'm focused on. It's clear to me that your main concern is purely about partisan politics, which tells me that you are unable to view policy for what it is.

I have these sort of conversations in PPP all the time and many of the Repubs over there are essentially the same as you, just that they are on the other team.

I clearly laid out to you in plain spoken English, if there was a deal in place that provided transportation at no cost to obtain an ID, would you then be in favor of it, and you still couldn't say yes.

For the most part, yes, although a substantial number of people in rural communities don't have the ID to get ID. I have read a lot of stuff about voter fraud though, from both sides, and it's such a small issue compared to a lot of other stuff.

The beautiful thing about small issues is they're easy to fix.

There are so many options for people get the help they need to get an ID. Why not promote it more, make sure everyone has one, and let's truly make every vote count?

Why wouldn't every American want to help with this effort?

Maybe because some of them (not you) need a reason to yell about something being oppressive towards minorities.

There are so many options for people get the help they need to get an ID. Why not promote it more, make sure everyone has one, and let's truly make every vote count?

Maybe because some of them (not you) need a reason to yell about something being oppressive towards minorities.

My experience is that it's always a good idea to provide a solution to a non problem. :rolleyes: Many states are complaining about not having enough funding to take care of services for the residents, but why not add another layer of unnecessary bureaucracy.

It is far fetched to believe non-citizens would willingly register and attempt to vote when those actions would expose them to the criminal justice and immigration system. Just because a person is undocumented that doesn't mean that person is stupendously stupid.

Exactly. Bill Maher does this great bit about driving behind a pickup truck with lawnmowers in the back in LA, saying "they are the safest drivers in the world! They never speed! They never break the law!"

It's hysterical. And very true.

Well some people are trying to fix the problem and some people are trying to "fix" the problem. ;)

My experience is that it's always a good idea to provide a solution to a non problem. :rolleyes: Many states are complaining about not having enough funding to take care of services for the residents, but why not add another layer of unnecessary bureaucracy.

So we want to better black communities but we can't afford to make sure that every working age adult has the means to obtain the appropriate forms of ID to better themselves.

Let's not file that under unnecessary bureaucracy so quickly.

Edited by Commonsense

So we want to better black communities but we can't afford to make sure that every working age adult has the means to obtain the appropriate forms of ID to better themselves.

There's no valid reason to spend one single dollar on this non-issue of voter fraud. It's a BS issue.

I'm not buying into your perceived views of what people's intentions or motives are. The rest of the developed world and the majority of the country believes its good policy and that is what I'm focused on. It's clear to me that your main concern is purely about partisan politics, which tells me that you are unable to view policy for what it is.

It doesn't really matter what the legislature's intent is (although the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals recently found that in passing its voting restrictions, the gerrymandered republican legislature of North Carolina specifically intended to disenfranchise minority voters); if the restrictive voting rules are not reasonably calculated to address a real problem and they have a disproportionate effect on the voting rights of minority groups, then they are illegal. (That's a bit of a simplification, I admit.) It is also irrelevant what "the majority of the country believes is good policy". That's why we have a constitution.

For the most part, yes, although a substantial number of people in rural communities don't have the ID to get ID. I have read a lot of stuff about voter fraud though, from both sides, and it's such a small issue compared to a lot of other stuff.

I kind of laid out my theory on voter fraud in post # 1192. If the rest of the developed world is doing it and the majority of Americans think its a good idea, and we can provide transportation and free ID's, then we should all be in agreement with it.

I kind of laid out my theory on voter fraud in post # 1192. If the rest of the developed world is doing it and the majority of Americans think its a good idea, and we can provide transportation and free ID's, then we should all be in agreement with it.

Theory? To hell with that. Give me proof or.....Sit Down.

If someone asked me "Yes or no, do you think we should require ID to vote?" of course I would say yes. The opposite is that no one shows ID and that leads to rampant issues in the future. But the question does not AT ALL address whether I think there is or isn't voter fraud or that I do or don't think political parties are trying to rig elections.

There's no valid reason to spend one single dollar on this non-issue of voter fraud. It's a BS issue.

When does it become an issue, when someone on the left tells us it? The right can scream about voter fraud and the left can scream about Russia hacking into emails and state election services. Do you know any of that to be true, I sure as hell don't.

I would be in favor of spending the money to make ID's obtainable for all working age adults. To me it's about bettering the American populace not about politics. Without identification you have zero chance to seek gainful employment. That seems like a pretty basic step, no matter what cover its done under. We get ID'd for many things, I find it hard to believe that being ID'd to vote would be any different.

When does it become an issue, when someone on the left tells us it? The right can scream about voter fraud and the left can scream about Russia hacking into emails and state election services. Do you know any of that to be true, I sure as hell don't.

I would be in favor of spending the money to make ID's obtainable for all working age adults. To me it's about bettering the American populace not about politics. Without identification you have zero chance to seek gainful employment. That seems like a pretty basic step, no matter what cover its done under. We get ID'd for many things, I find it hard to believe that being ID'd to vote would be any different.

As posted previously, there is already the ability to do signature comparisons when voters cast their ballots. It's an easy thing to detect with the current system in place. Non-issue for the umpteenth time.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

And yet, in my state, all voting is by mail (with no ID requirement at all) and voter fraud has been all but non-existent. How do you explain that? From the Oregonian newspaper:

Statutes pertaining to Oregon election laws run for pages and pages. But, for the most part, voter fraud and related illegalities are exceedingly rare, according to Oregon Secretary of State Jeanne P. Atkins.

"I've been in this job since last March (2015)," she said. "And I've had only four or five of those come across my desk. I'd call it a relative rarity."

What scant voter malfeasance exists almost always involves one family member signing the ballot envelope of another — something that's strictly prohibited by law.